U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 10:51 AM

4,805 posts, read 20,245,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If you get a false positive, you will also fail as it is going to be assumed that you took the drug and you have no way of proving that you didn't. Allergy medication can cause a false positive for amphetamines, and Ibuprofen and a B2 supplement can cause a false positive for marijuana, although it really depends on the type of test since most tests can now screen out ibuprofen. I would imagine by now, allergy medications and cough syrups, too, but the point still remains that if you do get a false positive for any reason, you are considered guilty.

And don't think that you can use some product or other remedy to conceal what ever drug you took. You will either get a false positive or they can detect the other substance if they look for it. They are not stupid, you know, but how in depth they go really depends on how much money the employer (or you) is willing (required) to spend.
NO, how in-depth they go depends on the laws they are required to follow and how much liability they want to expose themselves to by providing misleading reports to a client (the employer).

The lab that collects the specimen is required to note any and all legal drugs they are taking. If they don't ask the employee or record the answers, the entire test is invalid. They are also required to freeze half the sample so that it can be sent to another lab for retesting, should any party request it. They are also required to answer questions should the employer have them, about the results or their meanings or possible false positives.

Things like supplements and common medications are easily distinguished by special tests run to isolate them from other substances. They run tests to rule out diluted samples, overconcentrated samples, non-biological substances, and many many other things. There are thresholds of usage that are not reported.

The final results are reviewed by professionals known as Certifying Scientists, and are revewed by multiple individuals before the results are finalized and reported to the employer. The report comes with extensive warnings about the consequences of misinterpreting the results. Most employers who use drug tests undergo extensive training as well, to minimize their own liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 01:04 PM

6,611 posts, read 11,303,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jacknjess View Post
But you're right in the end, it wasn't worth making a big deal over and then have the agency not call me for future assignments.
Which is exactly why they get away with it.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,292 times
After I started working, I was required to take a random drug test. No problem but the company then charged me for the test. Is this legal?

Old 06-28-2014, 10:49 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,247,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
I don't know why people would go take a drug test anyway if they know they're going to fail
Because it's possible to fail a drug test even when you don't take drugs. It's called a false positive.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:04 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,247,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Rosson View Post
After I started working, I was required to take a random drug test. No problem but the company then charged me for the test. Is this legal?
That doesn't sound legal unless you were informed ahead of time.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:29 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,646,771 times
I've never had to pay for my own, but I wouldn't see that as being illegal. They are giving you an opportunity, either you go for it or you don't.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:46 PM

8,814 posts, read 13,301,562 times
I don't think it is illegal but it is certainly classless and I'd pass on the employer. Though why would it take 2 hours. Each time I had one it was drive to the local Quest, fill the cup, and leave 30 minutes at most.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:55 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,863,689 times
First: I have never had to pay for it.
Second: If they wanted me to pay for it, they usually told me that BEFORE they sent me.
Third: I would never take the test unless I knew upfront who paid for it. I would never agree to just go and worry about the payment later.

Last: It's YOUR responsibility to find out before going, "WHO PAYS FOR THIS"? You wouldn't start a job without knowing the salary upfront right?

Old 06-28-2014, 11:38 PM

24,000 posts, read 32,840,016 times
I would refuse to pay for a drug test or background check.

If my word that I'm not a druggie or a felon isn't good enough for you, then YOU pay to confirm that I'm not. I'll **** in your stupid cup and give you my SSN, but don't dare bill me for it. If you expect me to pay for it, find some other sucker.

FWIW, I have never been asked to pay for a drug test or background check.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,162 times
I have been working for almost 2 years as a caregiver for Home Instead Senior Care in White Plains, New York. I passed the drugtest when I first started and passed. My employer took the $ 50.- for the test from my first 2 paychecks.

I recently was selected, randomly, to have another test done. I have been extremely reliable, never called in sick so I think this is ridiculous. I don't mind having the test done but as a matter of principle I think Home Instead should pay for the test + an hour of work for the time it takes me to have the test done.

What are the laws in New York? Martha Conte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search