Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 05:23 PM

874 posts, read 1,654,531 times

Advertisements

I have a question about something I'm thinking of putting on my resume.

I used to be a receptionist and I am currently applying for a job as an HR assistant.

The job description says responsible for "responding to incoming HR requests via mail, email, voice-mail, fax and telephone" and I'm not sure if I should put that on my resume.

I assume that most people know that is what a receptionist generally does. I don't want to have my resume seem like it is full of fluff or things the resume reader already knows.

What are your opinions on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:08 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,842,485 times
I would probably consolidate the statement and just say something along the lines of, "responded to incoming HR requests via all communication methods"...or something like that.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:45 PM

874 posts, read 1,654,531 times
I'm sorry for being unclear. What I mean is I didn't actually respond to HR requests at my old job. I just answered the phone, used email, faxes, etc. to respond to other people on the job. I was a receptionist at an insurance company.

What I meant to ask was more along the lines of "Should I put down that I know how to use a variety of communication methods when dealing with people at work?" or is that redundant.

I'm trying to make sure I hit the points that the job description mentions which is why I quoted the description in my original post.

Does that make sense?

Old 08-24-2010, 03:14 PM

229 posts, read 572,536 times
Some say yes, some say no. I put all pertinent information into my resume(s) and taylor my resume to the position. You can also specify the systems you used in your cover letter. Even though I haven't been offered a job yet, I found that when I did send targeted resumes, I have had more interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search