U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:55 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,870,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If the 2nd interview for the other job is permanent then she should GO. Especially since the only job is only a 6 month assignment.
Of course she should go for the interview for second job, but if she takes the first job and doesn't get the second job, then she still has a job. In this economy, it's better to have something than nothing.

It's called "not putting all your eggs in one basket". And as another poster wisely suggected if U.E. finds out she turned down a job, it could be curtains There are lots of people right now, who have settled for less than their perfect job, until something better comes along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 11:18 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,329,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Of course she should go for the interview for second job, but if she takes the first job and doesn't get the second job, then she still has a job. In this economy, it's better to have something than nothing.

It's called "not putting all your eggs in one basket". And as another poster wisely suggected if U.E. finds out she turned down a job, it could be curtains There are lots of people right now, who have settled for less than their perfect job, until something better comes along.
Well I knew what I was looking for and when I was unemployed I was offered a temp to hire position and was scheduled to start on a Monday. The job that I recently interviewed for was closer and I decided not to show up on that Monday because I felt that the other job offer was coming. Luckliy I was right but I never had the mindset during unemployed that I had to settle.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:39 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,444,243 times
Quote:
Well I knew what I was looking for and when I was unemployed I was offered a temp to hire position and was scheduled to start on a Monday. The job that I recently interviewed for was closer and I decided not to show up on that Monday because I felt that the other job offer was coming. Luckliy I was right but I never had the mindset during unemployed that I had to settle.
I remember that well, Employment Counselor. You didn't even have the good manners to call the company and let them know you weren't going to show up ...

Old 08-29-2010, 11:43 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I remember that well, Employment Counselor. You didn't even have the good manners to call the company and let them know you weren't going to show up ...

Probably because I knew that It was a "push come to shove" job and knew what job I wanted

Old 08-29-2010, 12:41 PM

38,877 posts, read 20,174,085 times
Quote:
Fortunately it worked out for you TVSG but merely not showing up for a scheduled work day just because you felt another offer was forthcoming was not a very wise move. What if you had not got hired at your current job and nothing else turned up while you exhausted your unemployment? Where would you be now had that happened?

Old 08-29-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Probably because I knew that It was a "push come to shove" job and knew what job I wanted
Never a good idea to burn your bridges. It is common courtesy to at least let the company know you were quitting instead of leaving them in a bind without any notice.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:55 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Never a good idea to burn your bridges. It is common courtesy to at least let the company know you were quitting instead of leaving them in a bind without any notice.
I doubt if they even remember if I was to send them my resume.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:57 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,531,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Ok, now I'm having second thoughts. I am a project manager with over 10 years of experience. The offer I got resulted from a recruiter who found my resume online. I've gotten a number of inquiries since posting it two weeks ago.

Is the economy really that bad because I read an article recently about more people quitting for better jobs.

More quit their jobs as economy slowly improves - USATODAY.com

I'm going to sleep over this and decide what to do tomorrow morning.

Thanks for everyone's advice.
Well, product/project manager positions seem to be fairly in demand in major metro areas. My place has 1 open and another upcoming opening for a 2nd. Of course I've never worked with one that was any good, most of them are so-so. It's not easy to find a really good one unless they are paid very highly, and the travel is something a lot of people don't like.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I doubt if they even remember if I was to send them my resume.
If I were that employer, I'd remember any employee that failed to show up for work.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:57 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,444,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
If I were that employer, I'd remember any employee that failed to show up for work.
Agreed. I've had many employees over many years and although there are many I've completely forgotten, those which I've ALWAYS remembered are the few who've not shown up and haven't bothered to let me know. For some reason that just has stuck in my craw. Grasshopper seems to think that because it was to be his first day of work there that it just didn't matter a whit for him not to show up. What's worse, in my opinion, is that he's allegedly an employment counselor. He, above all, should know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or