U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:11 PM

874 posts, read 1,472,324 times

Advertisements

Where would I go to take a test that would prove proficiency that is well known and respected?

I'm definitely not fluent, but I wanted to put something at least two things in my skills section.

Thanks for the suggestion, cricket_factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 03:36 PM

433 posts, read 1,129,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
If you haven't had a job where you could demonstrate your flair for design or originality, then don't put it on the resume.

It's hard to give you advice about your resume without seeing it. Do you have a mockup of your current resume that you could post? Replace the specifics (names of people/schools/businesses, phone numbers, locations, etc.) with placeholders, and let us see what you're showing to employers. On another board I frequent, people do this a lot. I'll admit that the feedback can get brutal at times, but most everyone walks away with MUCH better results. And it's hard to address bad layout, borders and grouping without actually seeing it.

kodaka's advice about personal activites is only partly true. Some things like Toastmasters are appropriate for resumes. Volunteering experience, especially if it shows leadership or management potential, can go on a resume, though it sometimes depends on the industry you're looking to work in.
Yeah sure. I'm in Quebec so my CV was originally in French and I translated it for you or anyone else to see. Some of the words I used in the translation aren't so great, but I'm sure it's not any of the wording that could be turning off employers. The layout will probably look different on your computers too.

Also, where is this other forum you mentioned?
Attached Files
File Type: doc fake cv.doc (19.5 KB, 116 views)

Old 08-25-2010, 03:44 PM

916 posts, read 1,765,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
Where would I go to take a test that would prove proficiency that is well known and respected?

I'm definitely not fluent, but I wanted to put something at least two things in my skills section.

Thanks for the suggestion, cricket_factor.
For Spanish you could take the DELE (Diploma de Español como Lengua Extranjera) from the Instituto Cervantes. It's widely known, and there are many exam centers around the world.

Diplomas de Español como Lengua Extranjera (DELE): Español como sengunda lengua, examen de español del Instituto Cervantes, certificado de español y examen DELE.

There are lots of such exams for various languages.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
Yeah sure. I'm in Quebec so my CV was originally in French and I translated it for you or anyone else to see. Some of the words I used in the translation aren't so great, but I'm sure it's not any of the wording that could be turning off employers. The layout will probably look different on your computers too.

Also, where is this other forum you mentioned?
I'll PM you a link to the other forum; I don't want to out myself.

What kind of job are you looking to get? Some careers may expect certain things on a resume, and in a certain order. Like for academics, usually published works are first for experienced faculty, but second for junior faculty or teaching faculty.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:55 PM

mtlquebec102, you need to back up what you say with details. I didn't really get much of anything out of that resume because there wasn't anything on the resume that supported what you said under the Competencies heading.

Rockjock1729, could you please PM me the name of the forum you participate in as well?

Old 08-25-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
mtlquebec102, you need to back up what you say with details. I didn't really get much of anything out of that resume because there wasn't anything on the resume that supported what you said under the Competencies heading.

Rockjock1729, could you please PM me the name of the forum you participate in as well?
And how am I supposed to support them?? With my job and job description? I'll tell you here since the forum wouldn't let me upload the amount of memory I had:

2008 - Present Restaurant X
*General Kitchen Help
- Dishwasher
- Storage of the kitchen
- Preparation of the food

Old 08-25-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I'll PM you a link to the other forum; I don't want to out myself.

What kind of job are you looking to get? Some careers may expect certain things on a resume, and in a certain order. Like for academics, usually published works are first for experienced faculty, but second for junior faculty or teaching faculty.
Retail/grocery store, or fast food.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Retail/grocery store, or fast food.
Do retail and fast food even require a resume? Don't they have application forms you fill out instead? (I'm not trying to be a jerk; I really don't know.)

Old 08-25-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Do retail and fast food even require a resume? Don't they have application forms you fill out instead? (I'm not trying to be a jerk; I really don't know.)
Yeah, but I've always given them both, even before I had experience.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
And how am I supposed to support them?? With my job and job description? I'll tell you here since the forum wouldn't let me upload the amount of memory I had:

2008 - Present Restaurant X
*General Kitchen Help
- Dishwasher
- Storage of the kitchen
- Preparation of the food
You can still show those competencies with your position. If you don't give any context I have no reason to believe what you write as someone in HR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search