U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 03:14 PM

123 posts, read 335,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You may not find a job in your field. I find checking online job postings with the government, in particular, you could easily find several positions for which to test, some of which require good math and reasoning skills. Often the bar is not that high. You should test well, be put at the top of the list. This may not be in your field, but you need to think outside the box when a paycheck becomes a first priority.

From what I can see, online is about the ONLY way to apply. There is no way to approach most businesses physically nowadays, what with locked buildings, security, receptionists, etc. Years back one just walked into a place and applied. No more. Your dad is living in another era. That said, don't ignore networking. Volunteer work, outside activities, etc.
Yes I try to explain that to him. My father is in his late 60s. I have been applying to all sorts of jobs I dont even care if its in my field or not honestly. He is just on my case saying im lazy pretty much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 03:20 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,968,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MJ View Post
My father says "i need to get off of my butt"
Can't you just marry a rich guy and not worry about a job? After all, you can marry more in 30 minutes than you can earn in a lifetime.

There are plenty of divorced surgeons in their 50s and 60s out there.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:22 PM

123 posts, read 335,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Can't you just marry a rich guy and not worry about a job? After all, you can marry more in 30 minutes than you can earn in a lifetime.
lol.....
well until my prince charming comes along in his white porche, i need a job!

Old 08-26-2010, 03:37 PM

373 posts, read 1,363,889 times
Ms.MJ,

I think I can relate. It sounds like you recently graduated and have the pressure to find a job, ANY job. But, take some time and think about a career path. The first professional job you take can determine the rest of your working life, so don't just take a job just to have a job.

BS in chemistry really isn't anything unless you go on to some higher degree, in my opinion. So if you don't try to extend on that, you'll just take some entry level corp job and join the rest of the people in the lower rung of the corporate ladder. But maybe you are the ambitious type and succeed in climbing that ladder, either purely on your drive and personality, and/or by getting professional certifications and other degrees along the way. But that is all unknown at this point and unplanned.

So, how about trying to plan something with what you have now, a BS in Chemistry. Talk to your friend who went to med school and ask him what it's like. Volunteer at a hospital and get to know other people who have a BS degree in science. Or how about a degree in pharmaceutical?

Whatever happens, I hope you end up happy with what you get. But it sounds like to me you are just trying to get a job without really thinking about the bigger career picture.

Another suggestion, how about teaching english abroad? That'll give you some time to get away, see another country, and come back with a broadened horizon.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:39 PM

1,610 posts, read 4,392,514 times
I got my current job because I had posted my resume on Monster (or maybe it was Careerbuilder) and an independent recruiter went trolling for possible candidates for a job she was tasked with filling.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:42 PM

635 posts, read 1,523,393 times
I agree with all of the above posts...apply online, network, go out and meet people in the industry you are trying to get into, job fairs, I would even try to get a senior level manager to give you an non paid internship if you lack the experience in the field you are trying to get into.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:59 PM

28,441 posts, read 71,005,190 times
Default Lots of good advice already , I will add ....

It is probably true that you see MORE ads looking for positions requiring a Masters or greater in Chemistry BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN that there are more such jobs!

Unless you went to an absolutely awful college it is likely that the Profs at your school have some connections to Chem majors that have jobs, some probably have connections AND are willing to help out an alum -- THESE JOBS ARE NOT GOING TO SHOW UP ONLINE OR IN ADS!

So, you are correct that times are different, but dad is also right that GETTING out there in front of people that MIGHT be able to help is KEY!

The reason that you see ads wanting an advanced degree is that people with such skills are much more expensive to hire and the ads make sense -- very often the kinds of jobs that one gets with a bachelor's in a technical discipline are very much entry level in pay, but depenending on how much of the job is technically demanding the screening process is about the right fit. That fit is best determined by personal contact.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:44 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,840,158 times
With your BS in Chem, you might try looking for work at labs in hospitals etc. It would be entry level, but it would be in your field so to speak. Plus if you like it you can advance and get an MT with another year of school often paid for by the hospital if you sign a contract to work for them for several years. I just interviewed for a lab job and the manager had a BS in Biology and he started working in a lab and then went back while working for a year to get his MT. Being an MT (Medical Technologist) is a REALLY good career with lots of oportunities. Plus it's not saturated like so many med jobs out there.

If you are interested do your best to get around the hospital HR and ask for an interview with the lab manager, go ask him/her with your degree what are your options to work in his lab...interview him/her to see if that's where you want to go with your Chem degree.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:16 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,226,340 times
I think the woman at the county agency did a bit more than just walk in and say 'hire me'. If she hadn't lived right next door, she probably wouldn't have walked her resume in, she only did it that way because it was most convenient.

And I bet if your father had taken the time to have a longer conversation with that woman, he would have learned there was a bit more involved--I'm sure she still had to wait for an appropriate opening and interview for it and convince the hiring manager that she was the best candidate.

You too could hand-deliver your resume to businesses in the immediate vicinity. But going further, you're just wasting valuable time and gas driving around. You could send resumes to a dozen employers in the time it takes to hand-deliver one.

What did you plan to do with the chemistry degree when you enrolled in the program in the first place?

Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 PM

3,881 posts, read 7,303,779 times
I've gotten every post college job by applying online. Including the one I'm starting next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or