U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:10 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,921,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
From what I can see, online is about the ONLY way to apply. There is no way to approach most businesses physically nowadays, what with locked buildings, security, receptionists, etc. Years back one just walked into a place and applied. No more. Your dad is living in another era. That said, don't ignore networking. Volunteer work, outside activities, etc.

You are right about that. I pounded the pavement and went to several places, only to be told to apply online. I got my current job through an online posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 08:10 PM

222 posts, read 699,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
You are right about that. I pounded the pavement and went to several places, only to be told to apply online. I got my current job through an online posting.
That's how I got some of my jobs. And using good ole Monster, which supposdly, from most people, don't work. If you check though, most fortune 500 companies use job sites like those.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,870,842 times
I got my current job online - emailing my resume on the company's Careers webpage. I don't even think I attached a cover letter.

I was in a fast casual chain restaurant last night and a guy came in and asked if they were hiring and the manager said, "Sit here and fill out an application and then we will talk." So, for some jobs, showing up might still be the way to go.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:21 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,686,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MJ View Post
Yes I try to explain that to him. My father is in his late 60s. I have been applying to all sorts of jobs I dont even care if its in my field or not honestly. He is just on my case saying im lazy pretty much.
It sounds like you live with him? Maybe the next time you're in a place like Target for example show him those machines they have for people to apply online.

That they no longer walk in and ask for a manager they go over to a machine and enter information.

Maybe showing him that even people looking for low paying retail jobs apply online(even when they're standing in the place they want to work).

IMO, I would rather go back to the old way. Sometimes seeing a person behind the piece of paper helps.

Other than server jobs I don't think there are too many places where you can walk in and ask if they're hiring.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:02 AM

123 posts, read 335,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I think the woman at the county agency did a bit more than just walk in and say 'hire me'. If she hadn't lived right next door, she probably wouldn't have walked her resume in, she only did it that way because it was most convenient.

And I bet if your father had taken the time to have a longer conversation with that woman, he would have learned there was a bit more involved--I'm sure she still had to wait for an appropriate opening and interview for it and convince the hiring manager that she was the best candidate.

You too could hand-deliver your resume to businesses in the immediate vicinity. But going further, you're just wasting valuable time and gas driving around. You could send resumes to a dozen employers in the time it takes to hand-deliver one.

What did you plan to do with the chemistry degree when you enrolled in the program in the first place?
Work in a lab, mainly a state crime lab.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:06 AM

55,668 posts, read 74,637,859 times
if i am living free in my parents home my first priority is to be square with them.
that is money in the bank. then i would pound the pavement and apply online go to the library and apply but dont sit around the house you are makin em mad.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:34 AM

25 posts, read 36,944 times
For professionals, it is recommended to submit your resume through internet. If your not in a professional field; then, your dad is right.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:42 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,319,396 times
I've seen a lot of smaller businesses require an in person application, they don't even accept emailed resumes, so that's true maybe 5% of the time, I've gotten about 75% of my interviews online, the other 20% through networking, and one by applying in-person.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:07 AM

8,806 posts, read 13,297,378 times
Quote:
well I have my BS in chemistry but I dont know what I can do with that, most jobs require at least a masters, so I am looking into anything I am qualified for basically.
Don't bother with the MS in chemistry. You'll just end up working for a temp agency for $15 and hour without benefits. Go to Med, Dental, or Pharm school.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:44 AM

8,806 posts, read 13,297,378 times
Quote:
Work in a lab, mainly a state crime lab.
I originally wanted to do that but gave it up. There are thousands of chemists who want to do that and very few vacancies especially now with state budgets being what they are.

I wish I had better advice for you. I decided to opt for the MS degree and it ended up getting me the same crappy BS lab monkey jobs except now employers want MS's to do what AS's used to and pay them at the AS rate (15 to 20 an hour) thanks to the huge glut of science majors out there. I'd look hard for positions outside of science which is what I am now doing because I have no desire left to be in science. Unfortunately HR is going to be a problem for us with their 1 dimensional thinking (I am only going to hire someone who had 5 years experience doing this exact job before).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or