U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:45 AM

123 posts, read 335,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if i am living free in my parents home my first priority is to be square with them.
that is money in the bank. then i would pound the pavement and apply online go to the library and apply but dont sit around the house you are makin em mad.
I do not live in his house, I live by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I originally wanted to do that but gave it up. There are thousands of chemists who want to do that and very few vacancies especially now with state budgets being what they are.

I wish I had better advice for you. I decided to opt for the MS degree and it ended up getting me the same crappy BS lab monkey jobs except now employers want MS's to do what AS's used to and pay them at the AS rate (15 to 20 an hour) thanks to the huge glut of science majors out there. I'd look hard for positions outside of science which is what I am now doing because I have no desire left to be in science. unfortunately HR is going to be a problem for us with their 1 dimensional thinking.
I have already experienced some...well I don't know what to call it but some recruiters have seen my major and they sound uninterested. I'm not really worried about grad/professional school I really want to work. I feel like I am hiding behind school and I don't know if I stand a chance my gpa is not high enough to be competitive, now maybe because I am a double minority, a woman and african american, but other than that, idk. Everyone is running to school these days.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:56 AM

8,804 posts, read 13,297,378 times
Recruiters don't like to work on science jobs except at the management to executive level. Their fee is a % (usually 30% to 50%) of your first year salary, paid by the company, and science jobs pay so low they don't make much. Employment agencies on the other hand skim ~1/2 your pay check when you work through them.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:10 AM

my classmates that did the chem ed track are getting employed pretty fast.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:41 PM

409 posts, read 1,340,135 times
Most jobs require you to apply online and don't want you to bug them by coming in the office. I've applied for many jobs and the job descriptions don't tell you were the office is located sometimes they don't even say the name of the company for the sake of not having everybody and their mama coming up to the office. (A former employer did this) They only want applicants to apply online and email your resume to a certain email address.

I must say it can't hurt to network and talk to people/organizations of what you are interested in and go to job fairs. Be selective of the job fairs you go to because you could be one out of 100,000 waiting not able to give your resume to anyone or get close to the table to give your resume to someone.

The problem with going to the office is, you are sent directly to HR the assistant is sitting at the front desk, they give you a clip board, you fill out the app and leave it with the assistant along with your resume. You've gotten all dressed up and wasted gas for the girl at the front desk...maybe she will tell the head of HR that you looked really nice.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:18 PM

19,078 posts, read 21,912,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MJ View Post
My father says "i need to get off of my butt" and get out there and apply for jobs. I try to explain to him that things are different and most things are done electronically. What is your opinion on this and if you are currently employed, what method did you use for your initial application into your job?
I posted my CV on monster, careerbuilder, etc. A recruiter found me and set me up with an interview. I've never had much luck posting to co sites, tho, just today a colleague was telling me that she posted her CV to our co site and was contacted.

In my industry, at my job, you can't get through the door without a badge. Pounding the pavement wouldn't do the trick.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Work in a lab, mainly a state crime lab.
Yea, I wanted to do that too following a few seasons of Dexter lol.

Quote:
Recruiters don't like to work on science jobs except at the management to executive level. Their fee is a % (usually 30% to 50%) of your first year salary, paid by the company, and science jobs pay so low they don't make much. Employment agencies on the other hand skim ~1/2 your pay check when you work through them.
Quote:
my classmates that did the chem ed track are getting employed pretty fast.
And there is probably good reason for that, despite MSchemist80's never ending complaining. You have a poor gpa, so that's a strike against you. Your research experience and volunteer activities will play a role. I don't know where you are, but to work in the sciences location is important. Yea, that can suck, but so is life. The crime lab scenario is unlikely. People want those jobs hand over fist and are willing to be paid bubkas to do it.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:19 PM

8,804 posts, read 13,297,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
MSchemist80's never ending complaining.
I am not complaining I am offering my best advice. You yourself said without research experience you are dead in the water in science. I have research experience and a good GPA and am not much better off. Her best bet is to get into an unrelated field ( try to get an internship) or get an unrelated grad degree. Her GPA will be a problem but if she kicks butt on the GMAT she has a shot. Going for a grad degree in science is just digging a deeper hole.

BTW working in a lab loses its charm pretty fast especially with the low pay and lack of benefits.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I am not complaining I am offering my best advice. You yourself said without research experience you are dead in the water in science. I have research experience and a good GPA and am not much better off. Her best bet is to get into an unrelated field ( try to get an internship) or get an unrelated grad degree. Her GPA will be a problem but if she kicks butt on the GMAT she has a shot. Going for a grad degree in science is just digging a deeper hole.

BTW working in a lab loses its charm pretty fast especially with the low pay and lack of benefits.
We've been through this so many times. You want industry to move to you. It's a ridiculous position. If the OP is of the same mind, I'm sure your advice is fitting.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:13 AM

38,877 posts, read 20,171,745 times
Quote:
My father says "i need to get off of my butt" and get out there and apply for jobs. I try to explain to him that things are different and most things are done electronically. What is your opinion on this and if you are currently employed, what method did you use for your initial application into your job?
The correct way of applying for jobs is the requested method of the hiring employer. Most companies nowadays REQUIRE the online application and do not offer the option of paper apps. You do need to supplement this with networking of course but ultimately, follow the instructions of the company doing the hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or