U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:07 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,781,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I posted my CV on monster, careerbuilder, etc. A recruiter found me and set me up with an interview. I've never had much luck posting to co sites, tho, just today a colleague was telling me that she posted her CV to our co site and was contacted.

In my industry, at my job, you can't get through the door without a badge. Pounding the pavement wouldn't do the trick.
It's true that you often cannot walk in and knock on doors - but there are emails directly to someone in a position to hire or influence a hire.

I know right now where someone will likely get a job because this individual emailed an individual who is a supervisor of a department and sent a resume directly - and followup emails.

It requires some research of course but that's something job applicants should do for any business they are trying to be hired into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 07:14 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,472,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The correct way of applying for jobs is the requested method of the hiring employer. Most companies nowadays REQUIRE the online application and do not offer the option of paper apps. You do need to supplement this with networking of course but ultimately, follow the instructions of the company doing the hiring.
I prefer to fill out an application offline because the online version seems like it takes forever

Old 08-28-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MJ View Post
Yes I try to explain that to him. My father is in his late 60s. I have been applying to all sorts of jobs I dont even care if its in my field or not honestly. He is just on my case saying im lazy pretty much.
Your dad is still partially right.

Many businesses require that you apply on-line - at the company website. The HR department will need that submitted before they'll process anything.

However - it's the people elsewhere in the business especially a big business that tell HR which applicant they want to bring in to interview. Very often the supervisor or manager of a department selects the applicant or 3 or 4 and tells HR to call them in for an interview.

The problem is, very often no one actually looks at all the electronic applications sifting through them, and they don't look at them at all until they have a vacant position. When a position becomes vacant, the supervisor or manager will think of those individuals they know about, often who made themselves known through word of mouth, emailed correspondence, or a face-to-face encounter.

You need to think of some businesses where you want to work and get more aggressive in contacting those who play a role in hiring - the HR departments only process the papers, they don't select.

You also need to look at your degree and decide what you can do with it - you could probably teach high school chemistry, you might need to add a few more courses and probably a certification and go into clinical lab if you want better pay. Try waste water treatment plants - the food industry.

See if you can't get some contacts inside a place you might like to work and have them give you a tour. And don't be afraid to ask those in a position of hiring what it would take for you to be hired in their business.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:22 AM

19,078 posts, read 21,966,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's true that you often cannot walk in and knock on doors - but there are emails directly to someone in a position to hire or influence a hire.

I know right now where someone will likely get a job because this individual emailed an individual who is a supervisor of a department and sent a resume directly - and followup emails.

It requires some research of course but that's something job applicants should do for any business they are trying to be hired into.
Agreed. Of course, the level of difficulty will vary depending on co size, etc. At my co, I don't know how anyone would figure out who to contact. Everything has to go through HR and since we're a pharma employee identification is kept confidential to the public. I can bring a CV to the attention of supervisors, but again, that's a matter of networking for potential candidates.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:26 AM

256 posts, read 792,508 times
For people currently employed, I would think online is the best option. It's hard to find the time if you have a 9-5 job, plus you don't want to risk the chance of your current employer somehow finding out you were at a job fair. If you are unemployed then pursue all options.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I have already experienced some...well I don't know what to call it but some recruiters have seen my major and they sound uninterested. I'm not really worried about grad/professional school I really want to work. I feel like I am hiding behind school and I don't know if I stand a chance my gpa is not high enough to be competitive, now maybe because I am a double minority, a woman and african american, but other than that, idk. Everyone is running to school these days.
Also for some jobs the double minority doesn't count either way. It will neither help you nor hurt you - they hire by you showing them you're the right individual for the job. GPA isn't always a big deal either.

The sad truth is - people go to universities because they want jobs, but the universities are interested in the big tuition money rolling in. They don't really care if people major in fields that won't get them jobs, and they don't advise the students on all the many job fields a degree can get them into. Although there are also programs in many universities that do that - such as the nursing programs and teacher programs with internships and clinical courses that get the students out where they need to be to be visible to hirers. The regular degree programs tend not to do that.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:36 AM

38,901 posts, read 20,217,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I prefer to fill out an application offline because the online version seems like it takes forever
I actually prefer the online applications simply because I can submit it instantly and do it outside of business hours. But it really does not matter what yours or my preferences is, it's a matter of what the hiring employer is asking for. More and more employers are requiring the online application and I doubt they would be going backwards to paper applications.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:15 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,508,763 times
Ms. MJ,

You've gotten some good advice here...malamute's posts in particular.

Your dad is not wrong, essentially. You cannot just sit behind your PC all day. I attend several jobseeker ministries right now and the prevailing mantra is "network, network, network!" They say that 80% of jobs are obtained thru networking...and many of those jobs were NEVER posted. Someone you knew on the "inside" heard of an anticipated opening, let you know, put you in contact with the hiring manager, and you get an interview. And if it clicks, you get the job. Or sometimes you may not be considered the best fit for THAT job, but then they think of you for something else, now that they know you and what you have to offer.

Of course you can network online too (are you on LinkedIN??) but it really is important to GET OUT THERE and meet people! I know it's so much easier to sit behind the PC -- I'd rather do it myself -- but when I do force myself to go to events and talk to people, I usually feel it was worth my time. The other mantra in the ministries is "you never know who happens to know the contact you need."

I don't recall where you are located, but most major metros today have a TON of these church-based jobs ministries. They bring in good speakers, and offer hands-on help with writing resumes, interviewing, networking, self-marketing, etc. You mentioned getting a phone call but "not being able to close the deal." You need some help selling your product -- which is you -- and these jobs ministries can absolutely help you with that. Often they will even do mock interviews and videotape them so you can see how you're coming across. They'll ask you the "tough" questions an interviewer might and help you craft a confident answer.

Final thought...you don't want to consider teaching chemistry? I may be wrong but I was under the impression that that kind of teacher is hard to find. (Far better $ in Big Pharma, industry, etc.) Maybe you could start out subbing (usually just the bachelor's degree is required) and go for an alternative teaching certificate if you think it's something you'd like to do full-time.

So please don't write off your Dad as an old coot who's behind the times, as another poster opined. It may not work quite the same way he has in mind (the world has changed as others said, with security access issues and offices that won't accept walk-in paper resumes) but you still can set up informational interviews with people and sit down with them to ask for their advice and general insights, without putting them on the spot to get you the actual JOB.
Good luck to you!

Old 08-28-2010, 12:20 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,432,376 times
Quote:
My father says "i need to get off of my butt" and get out there and apply for jobs. I try to explain to him that things are different and most things are done electronically. What is your opinion on this and if you are currently employed, what method did you use for your initial application into your job?
I applied on line, then was called to do a phone interview, then two face-to-face interviews. I was given the position at the end of the second interview.

Nearly everything starts on line these days, for better or worse.

There is only one job aid I saw recently that stated to apply in person. I like it better applying in person.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:51 PM
B&A

336 posts, read 222,683 times
I applied for a job at Lowe's online and got the job a week later as a cashier for $9.74/hr. These days, it is the way to go. It just depends on what the specific company wants. I'e gone to several places to apply and they hand me their card and tell me to apply on their website. Even after I was called back by Lowe's I still had to go through 3 interviews, a background check, a mouth swab and a bunch of paperwork before I was offered the job. And then, I had to go through a training program in front of a computer for 2 weeks. After that, I was thrown to the wolves and 3 months later I got a raise to $10.17/hour. I did some more training classes and easily got promoted to the windows and wall department.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or