U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:21 PM

256 posts, read 1,046,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MJ View Post
My father says "i need to get off of my butt" and get out there and apply for jobs. I try to explain to him that things are different and most things are done electronically. What is your opinion on this and if you are currently employed, what method did you use for your initial application into your job?
My husband said the same thing. So, I got all dressed up, ran out about 12 resumes, and picked a business park with some pretty large corporations, and went out hoping to drop off resumes.

Well, let me tell you: I came back with all 12 and I was more frustrated than ever. In all of the buildings, the halls were empty and the doors were locked. There was a nice telephone table set outside of each company reception area and a telephone directory. In other words, if you don't have a contact or an appointment with someone specific, we really don't want to talk to you.

About a month or two later, I worked as a lobby receptionist for a very large, Fortune 500 company. They had just relocated their HQ to Charlotte. People were coming in off the street soliciting jobs and wanting to drop off their resume. I was instructed to direct them to the website to fill out the application. The company told me there was no need to have people drop off a resume b/c they would have to fill out the appy online anyway. I was told that if they insisted on leaving a resume, I could take it but be sure to put it through a shredder b/c it had personal information on it. Now my husband has seen the light.

Everything is sooo impersonal and discouraging. I feel your pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Agreed. Of course, the level of difficulty will vary depending on co size, etc. At my co, I don't know how anyone would figure out who to contact. Everything has to go through HR and since we're a pharma employee identification is kept confidential to the public. I can bring a CV to the attention of supervisors, but again, that's a matter of networking for potential candidates.
When I temped as a receptionist, I was told by a company NEVER give out employee names, including HR personnel, or phone numbers, extensions, or email addresses. They wouldn't take resumes at the door, so unless you knew someone or applied online, you were out of luck. Very discouraging.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:34 PM

19,078 posts, read 21,936,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jacknjess View Post
When I temped as a receptionist, I was told by a company NEVER give out employee names, including HR personnel, or phone numbers, extensions, or email addresses. They wouldn't take resumes at the door, so unless you knew someone or applied online, you were out of luck. Very discouraging.
Yea, I guess it can be. Times sure have changed. We don't have a receptionist sitting in the lobby, which is really a huge atrium. We have a security desk with two guards by one set of doors if a person manages to get in that way. On the other side of the building, which is the front door, there's no access without a badge to swipe. But, that's not the case for things like retail, restaurant work, and perhaps smaller co's that don't have to deal with legal or threat issues.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latestgood View Post
For professionals, it is recommended to submit your resume through internet. If your not in a professional field; then, your dad is right.
I agree. If you are looking for retail or foodservice, applying in person works. If you are in an office type position or any other corporate-type position, then applying online is better.

I am an Administrative Assistant and working temp has really been helpful b/c you have them backing you with a recommendation and they do all the testing for the companies. But with the economy, some companies are reluctant to pay the higher salaries and fee when they decide to hire. But they also know they are getting someone they are happy with and who will probably stay. Plus while I'm w/o a permanent position, I am technically employeed by the agency which is showing current experience and I'm not just sitting around. Also, I have been able to get into some companies and making connections. Best of all, I am finding out where I do and I DON'T want to work. I have had a few places call and request me to come back for another assignment. I am hoping that one day they may have a permanent position and they say, "hey why don't we call the agency and get that woman back!" Wouldn't that be sweet!

Old 08-28-2010, 09:53 PM

387 posts, read 469,890 times
Everyone I know including myself got jobs by applying online. That's the way to go. They usually don't like you showing up at their place of business to request an interview. Also networking is overrated unless you know the owner of the corporation.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:30 PM

19,078 posts, read 21,936,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
Everyone I know including myself got jobs by applying online. That's the way to go. They usually don't like you showing up at their place of business to request an interview. Also networking is overrated unless you know the owner of the corporation.
That hasn't been my experience. My boss asked me if I knew of anyone to fill a contract position we're hiring for. She's not too impressed with the CV's she has. So, I'm putting my feelers out for folk in my network.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:51 PM

792 posts, read 1,104,404 times
Quote:
My father says "i need to get off of my butt" and get out there and apply for jobs. I try to explain to him that things are different and most things are done electronically. What is your opinion on this and if you are currently employed, what method did you use for your initial application into your job?
I totally agree with your Dad. You stated that you got a degree in Chemistry....was the trip to that degree a free ride?, or did Dad help...and when you pursued that degree, which took 4 long years, did you ever think what you might do after obtaining that degree.

I sense that you are a young lady of above average intelligence, however you like many of your generation believe that the "end to the end" in in a classroom, and minimum wage employment might be severe blow to your ego....get over it times (and the economy) have changed !

Perhaps this is the "electronic" age, however I was in 3 different places this date with "help wanted" signs posted, stating...."see manager"....however they weren't for the position of COA and chances were that the manager didn't have a degree in chemistry....

Your Dad is right....back in the day many of us graduated from high school and were either drafted into the military, or were hitting the bricks in search of a J-O-B....We didn't have the financial opportunity available today..."grants, loans etc"....to hide out on a college campus.

I personally feel this higher education scam has about timed itself out. There are countless over educated young people, that can't change a light bulb.... living with Mom and Dad...waiting for someone to knock on their computer and offer them a 6 figure income....it ain't happenin.....get off your butt !

Old 08-28-2010, 10:53 PM

792 posts, read 1,104,404 times
Quote:
lol.....
well until my prince charming comes along in his white porche, i need a job!

My point exactly....God forbid he drive a pick-up truck !

Old 08-28-2010, 11:07 PM

201 posts, read 382,674 times
for engineering I have found that focused networking is the best, you need to find the email address of the department head or hiring manager (not the HR person) and the only way you can do this is by networking and I have found that even if they dont have something they can refer you to someone else, however, you need to make sure that you drop the name of the person that refered you so that you can build a raport. Even after all that its no gaurentee but at least then you can email them back every so often and they will be excited to hear from you, instead of thinking who is this jack a** thats cold calling me.

Another way to go is employment agencies, professional employment agencies have a really high bill rate and usually have a decent FHA or HSA package but they are usually looking for 10 yrs expereince at a minimum.

So far I have been able to hook up like one job interview in a year so the jobs just are not there and that one job interview they wanted me to do something that was blatently unethical and could be construed as boarder line illegal and at the very least would have compromised my professional credibility.

In this economy looking for out of state work out of nessecity vs fat pay raises has lead to online apps because its nearly impossible to network across the country unless you have a REALLY good network and can network across disiplines/industrys.

I find its better to start doing all of this BEFORE you are laid off because its going to take you a year just to build new skills and your net work as well as your resume. Also something I did with my resume is I came up with a logo and a company name and the logo is pretty bad a** (which requires some out of the box thinking) and I will see how that works out.

The catch in all this is you have almost no life because to drive your own career requires alot of time spent on this stuff outside of work and even while at work, if your current job is inflexible then you may want to have even less of a life to expadite the process, you need a job where you are afforded an hour a day (maybe eat lunch at your desk) to do non work related stuff like network or professional development.

Of course im not sure that things are all that different from 6 years ago because it took me a year to find my first job out of school. I think people just need to stop watching the news myself included. the late 90's was probably the last time when people could hop the fense for better pay when they were fed up without much concern (as long as you were not doing it every 3 months), now days you are lucky to make a latteral move let alone a fat pay raise.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:20 PM

201 posts, read 382,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That hasn't been my experience. My boss asked me if I knew of anyone to fill a contract position we're hiring for. She's not too impressed with the CV's she has. So, I'm putting my feelers out for folk in my network.
What is the job and how much are they paying? Thats a big factor, if you want the A team then you better bring real money to the table PLUS a solid contract. Thats what companies seem to be missing, everyone wants slave labor but yet top notch skills.

Most A team people have a job right now, so to get them to quit their job you are going to have to offer a min of a 2 yr contract (since its taking people upwards of 18 months to find work) and a non trivial pay increase (ie a pay increase that bumps them into a new standard of living) otherwise they wont take the risk, this is a bad time to be quiting jobs right now for an unknown. Also you better have uber flexable working conditions otherwise you wont get the A team, no professional wants to be grilled because they came back from lunch 15 min after the hour or has to run an errand during buisness hours or is taking professional development classes during the day and billing for it thats part of YOUR cost of doing buisness.

There is going to be a corporate rude awakening when they realize that the supply is rapidly going down of skilled people and that 3rd worlders are not skilled. Dont worry we will extort the crap out of you when your party is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or