U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 06:45 AM

19,078 posts, read 21,946,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
I totally agree with your Dad. You stated that you got a degree in Chemistry....was the trip to that degree a free ride?, or did Dad help...and when you pursued that degree, which took 4 long years, did you ever think what you might do after obtaining that degree.

I sense that you are a young lady of above average intelligence, however you like many of your generation believe that the "end to the end" in in a classroom, and minimum wage employment might be severe blow to your ego....get over it times (and the economy) have changed !

Perhaps this is the "electronic" age, however I was in 3 different places this date with "help wanted" signs posted, stating...."see manager"....however they weren't for the position of COA and chances were that the manager didn't have a degree in chemistry....

Your Dad is right....back in the day many of us graduated from high school and were either drafted into the military, or were hitting the bricks in search of a J-O-B....We didn't have the financial opportunity available today..."grants, loans etc"....to hide out on a college campus.

I personally feel this higher education scam has about timed itself out. There are countless over educated young people, that can't change a light bulb.... living with Mom and Dad...waiting for someone to knock on their computer and offer them a 6 figure income....it ain't happenin.....get off your butt !
Ok, but what does this have to do with the protocol of landing a professional job in today's market? It is what it is. Knocking on physical doors isn't really an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janman345 View Post
What is the job and how much are they paying? Thats a big factor, if you want the A team then you better bring real money to the table PLUS a solid contract. Thats what companies seem to be missing, everyone wants slave labor but yet top notch skills.
For a contract gig, I'm guessing some where in mid-late 50s, maybe somewhere in the 60s, which really isn't much. The job is for a scientist to do some routine work, but they want someone that can engage in independent exploratory research. A seasoned scientist capable of independent research is not going to be interested in temp work (according to my common sense) so there's definitely a disconnect there. But, a fresh grad with research experience would probably be a good fit.

Quote:
Most A team people have a job right now, so to get them to quit their job you are going to have to offer a min of a 2 yr contract (since its taking people upwards of 18 months to find work) and a non trivial pay increase (ie a pay increase that bumps them into a new standard of living) otherwise they wont take the risk, this is a bad time to be quiting jobs right now for an unknown. Also you better have uber flexable working conditions otherwise you wont get the A team, no professional wants to be grilled because they came back from lunch 15 min after the hour or has to run an errand during buisness hours or is taking professional development classes during the day and billing for it thats part of YOUR cost of doing buisness.
I don't think they're going to get the candidates they're looking for. With that said, flexibility isn't a problem. There's no clock to punch. People come and go as they like and professional development is an expectation of all positions at my co.

Quote:
There is going to be a corporate rude awakening when they realize that the supply is rapidly going down of skilled people and that 3rd worlders are not skilled. Dont worry we will extort the crap out of you when your party is over.
I agree a wake up call is on its way and that's a good thing.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:00 AM

37,207 posts, read 45,767,705 times
He may be right. I have sent many resumes off into the ozone and never gotten any feedback or acknowledgment that they were recieved. I'd rather get a "you are awful and I hate you," than nothing.
The job I'm probably getting is one in which I hand carried an app and resume and chatted up someone in a position to pass it on to HR for me.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:34 AM

28,444 posts, read 71,212,678 times
Default It is not just about knocking on doors / being in workplaces...

...the OP's dad is about my age, but more importantly the fact is people that do not have an impressive stack of accomplishments that will shine in an electronic resume NEED to get the connections polished.

Whether the connections happen to be buffed up through college professors, or an online business oriented site like linked-in or via actual humans-in-the-flesh interaction the whole point is NOT to go some random office lobby but simply to get off one's rump and do SOMETHING to distinguish oneself from the typical just out of school lay abouts...

Now if the op regrets merely getting a degree in a field that they do not wish to use that will create some friction with the parents, especially if they lent support (financial or otherwise...) to that pursuit. That said I know DOZENS of people that have very reepwarding lives whose work has nearly nothing to do with the degree they first earned. One can rather easily, even today, show up at a firm that primarily sells / distributes products and say "I don't have much experience selling but I have a desire to learn and with my ability to quickly master complex ideas as demonstrated by my bachelor's degree in chemistry, I am sure I could really help to increase sales...". Even in tight hiring situations many firms will give a shot to a newbie. You might work for straight commission. You might wash out after three months. You might hate selling janitorial products. OR might do well, build your resume, be better equipped to move to a bigger firm/ better product, a place where your knowledge of chemistry might actually help you move up.

Of course if you want to be a barista with a bad attitude and worse skin art then you also probably want to hate dad's advice...

Old 08-29-2010, 02:30 PM

201 posts, read 382,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
For a contract gig, I'm guessing some where in mid-late 50s, maybe somewhere in the 60s, which really isn't much. The job is for a scientist to do some routine work, but they want someone that can engage in independent exploratory research. A seasoned scientist capable of independent research is not going to be interested in temp work (according to my common sense) so there's definitely a disconnect there. But, a fresh grad with research experience would probably be a good fit.

I don't think they're going to get the candidates they're looking for. With that said, flexibility isn't a problem. There's no clock to punch. People come and go as they like and professional development is an expectation of all positions at my co.

I agree a wake up call is on its way and that's a good thing.
I know a guy that just got a contract engineering job and they were grilling his hours for some work down to 30 min intervals, sorry thats not how engineering works and hard science is even more nebulus. Back in the day companies like bell would hire an A team and put them in a think tank and let them go, they would have 2,3 sometimes even 5 year contracts and they came up with some really cool stuff but you cant schedule research. You can schedule design builds but its tough because even though engineering is better defined there are still many unknowns when doing a design build.

It seems like its ameture hour these days with most employers, thats why im working on starting my own contract buisness and cut out the executive over head that forces clients to grind us on hours because our supervisors are billing us out at 120$/hr but we are only making 40$, I could raise my rate to 80 and they would leave me alone and let me do what I need to do because its a 1/3 less. Of course right now there is no contract work to speak of unless you want to travel around the country or the world and thats not an ideal life work ballance.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:17 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,447,634 times
The written word makes it easier for human resources to DENY you. I do much better when speaking to the person with the power to give me the job, or, at the very least, to recommend me for the job.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 PM

792 posts, read 1,105,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Ok, but what does this have to do with the protocol of landing a professional job in today's market? It is what it is. Knocking on physical doors isn't really an option.
This young lady does not have what I consider "professional qualifications"....she has an undergrad degree in Chemistry...I am not knocking her degree, however there are thousands of unemployed under grad science degrees out there....

Old 08-30-2010, 01:52 AM

1,877 posts, read 3,732,155 times
In some cases that's the only way to do it. I wouldn't have the job I've had for the last two years without applying online. I walked in and asked for an app, and they gave me a web address to go to. And there was nothing advertising that they were hiring either. I just took it upon myself to go in and ask.

You have to do everything. You can't just go by what's listed in the want ads, either. I got a couple jobs that way, but many of them from just walking in off the street and asking 'are you hiring/taking apps?'

And follow up with those apps. I know someone who put in an application, she didn't get a call back for a few weeks. Then she walked in one day and inquired again, and so they combed up her app and said, "Wanna come in tomorrow for an interview?" That would probably never have happened, if SHE hadn't followed up with THEM. Employers have a lot on their minds. The employer might've went and got a few applications out of their pile and called some people up for the job, but the person they called might not have been her... who took initiative. Same thing happened to me too. Only I didn't even have to interview, they just hired me. lol

(Oh yeah - and the person I know DID get the job.)

Old 08-30-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
This young lady does not have what I consider "professional qualifications"....she has an undergrad degree in Chemistry...I am not knocking her degree, however there are thousands of unemployed under grad science degrees out there....
Well, if she's going to land her first temp gig, as many grads end up doing, she still has to go on line. I still fail to see your point.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:43 PM

271 posts, read 583,779 times
Most companies, even though they state you need to apply "on-line" also have a hiring manager. Find out who the hiring manager is, apply on-line and then a couple of days later call the business, ask for the hiring manager by name to verify that they (he/she) got your application
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or