Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 02:19 PM

123 posts, read 379,883 times

Advertisements

My father says "i need to get off of my butt" and get out there and apply for jobs. I try to explain to him that things are different and most things are done electronically. What is your opinion on this and if you are currently employed, what method did you use for your initial application into your job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 02:25 PM

375 posts, read 1,573,210 times
What kind of job are you looking for? I'm in IT and I got my job from a job fair about 2 years ago. I think, in addition to submitting resumes thru online job sites and what not, you can increase your chances by attending job fairs, trade conferences, user groups, and such. For example, in the field I work in, there are local groups that meet to discuss IT stuff. If there are such things for your field, seek them out and try to meet people and see what develops.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:28 PM

well I have my BS in chemistry but I dont know what I can do with that, most jobs require at least a masters, so I am looking into anything I am qualified for basically.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:28 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,617,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MJ View Post
My father says "i need to get off of my butt" and get out there and apply for jobs. I try to explain to him that things are different and most things are done electronically. What is your opinion on this and if you are currently employed, what method did you use for your initial application into your job?
You should never rely on just one method. Instead, use several approaches. Along with searching online, you can network, talk to recruiters, and go to job fairs (although I personally find those useless). I think when people scoff at searching online, it's because they see people are doing ONLY that instead of employing other methods. Every job I've gotten was because of the internet. I either applied directly or a recruiter saw my resume and contacted me. That doesn't mean I didn't bother with doing other things. I still networked and occasionally went to job fairs. Some people will tell you that the internet is a waste. Everyone has their preferred method. Don't let any of that discourage you. Just because the internet didn't work for someone else doesn't mean it can't work for you. But don't restrict yourself to it either.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:30 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,896,879 times
Although your chances of getting an interview through an online job application are very low, I would still do it. Do everything you can. Heck, this is how I got my current job, through an online posting directly through the company's website. From my experience, i hear back from about 25% of online jobs that I apply to. But, my resume was excellent.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,901,044 times
Just don't make your job search activity online APPLYING ONLY, try and do research on how to get better at interviewing, job applications, and networking. Remember

applying to jobs-25%
researching-25%
networking-50%

Old 08-26-2010, 03:00 PM

Like my father told me he spoke with a lady who works for a local county agency. She told him she got her position by walking up to the hr because she lives right behind the place. He told me to go ask for the lady but I don't know what to say to her, maybe I am wrong but I could see if my situation was like "hi, i am ms. mj and jane doe said you were________." but its not like that. Idk, i have gotten plenty call backs from applying online, I am going to do some mock interviews because I can get a call but I cant drive it home during the interviews.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:02 PM

375 posts, read 1,573,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MJ View Post
well I have my BS in chemistry but I dont know what I can do with that, most jobs require at least a masters, so I am looking into anything I am qualified for basically.
How is your GPA? I ask because I was wondering why you aren't considering med school? Despite all the reports recently of doctors not getting paid and having to deal with all the insurance bs and all that, I still think medicine is a respected and well paid profession. I'm sure it is not easy, but most doctor friends I know are pretty well off and have decent life styles. Also, if you can't get into a med school, some go to dental schools and some (if not most) end up doing a lot better financially as dentists.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
How is your GPA? I ask because I was wondering why you aren't considering med school? Despite all the reports recently of doctors not getting paid and having to deal with all the insurance bs and all that, I still think medicine is a respected and well paid profession. I'm sure it is not easy, but most doctor friends I know are pretty well off and have decent life styles. Also, if you can't get into a med school, some go to dental schools and some (if not most) end up doing a lot better financially as dentists.
under a 3.0
i know a guy who got into med school with a 2.9 gpa and he did not do so hot on the mcat...
but idk just really want to work.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:11 PM

25,591 posts, read 56,367,459 times
You may not find a job in your field. I find checking online job postings with the government, in particular, you could easily find several positions for which to test, some of which require good math and reasoning skills. Often the bar is not that high. You should test well, be put at the top of the list. This may not be in your field, but you need to think outside the box when a paycheck becomes a first priority.

From what I can see, online is about the ONLY way to apply. There is no way to approach most businesses physically nowadays, what with locked buildings, security, receptionists, etc. Years back one just walked into a place and applied. No more. Your dad is living in another era. That said, don't ignore networking. Volunteer work, outside activities, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search