U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:48 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,402,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Forget about being out and about... I had to make myself invisible on facebook because I was tired of people IMing me at 11 in the morning wondering what I was doing online and then started with the 20 questions.... Every Tuesday we went to dinner with Todds parents who always asked.... ACKKKKKK it sucked...

I used to get the same IM and had to tell someone don't ask me that question no more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 07:08 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,928,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Forget about being out and about.....

Agreed. Before you know it you will be asked an avalanche of questions related to work and why this and why that, have you this or have you that etc.....

Old 05-27-2012, 07:13 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,693,975 times
I don't know what's worse, the annoying people asking if you have a job yet, or the bitterness coming out of posts in this thread.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:37 PM

428 posts, read 796,306 times
Not bitter mine was all sarcasm =)

Old 05-27-2012, 08:39 PM

1,362 posts, read 3,198,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
I don't know what's worse, the annoying people asking if you have a job yet, or the bitterness coming out of posts in this thread.
It really shows how bad unemployment is in America when the employment forum is pretty much dominated by frustrated out of work people complaining that they can't find work. But this forum is one of the only places on the internet where real people come to tell the truth about the truly screwed up state of the job market. The pain of literally tens of millions of Americans is completely ignored and hidden by skewed unemployment stats that are plastered all over the mainstream media.

Surely, I don't think that the "did you find a job yet?" question is as condescending where you live since you reside in central California which maybe the place hardest hit by unemployment in the entire nation. People in a city like Modesto are a little bit more understanding of mass unemployment, lack of opportunities and foreclosure than where I live. I live in the DC Area which is full of non-producing government workers who are not feeling any bit of recession woes. These people do nothing but sit on their butts and surf the internet and lavishly spend your tax dollars for a living.

Bubble on the Potomac - Pastebin.com

Out here, you have so many out-of-touch a-holes who believe that anyone who wants a job can find one in two days. I have heard many people out here say stuff like this. When you try to explain your situation (i.e. I am a recent college grad or I am over 40 years old or I have been out of work for nearly a year or more) they will just look at you blankly and imply nonverbally that you are lazy, afraid of work, bad at what you do and or a terrible worker etc. Ironically, these people are the usually the laziest most non-producing union protected workers at big companies or the federal government who can't be fired (i.e. remember the Verizon strikers last summer? Really?! Who strikes during Great Depression level real unemployment?!). In America today, it is coming to the point where either you are eating cake everyday or you are starving.

One of the worst aspects of unemployment is that it involuntarily sends people into social hibernation. In America, people are extremely unforgiving of unemployed people. Most working people think, "Hey, I have a job and I'm not that smart or great, if this guy doesn't have a job, there must be something wrong with him... The system works for me, you must be doing something very wrong and you deserve to be unemployed". If this were really true and obtaining a middle class lifestyle was as easy as applying for a single job, there would be exponentially less crime in this country. In reality, the economy of a big city like Baltimore is almost entirely based on the flow of illegal underworld money in the form of Baltimore being one huge open air drug market. That just goes to show you how few legit legal opportunities there are to make money for literally millions of Americans.

But most people working now have had their jobs prior to the economic downturn, so they never really had to scramble to find a job in this current market where it is extremely hard to find any type of work. Nobody wants to talk to or hang around a broke unemployed person. Being unemployed carries a huge stigma which is only a step up from being homeless. Even people in the most wholesome social environments (i.e. church) will subtly express disapproval if you are unemployed. Most people will not help even if they can help. This is because the self-reliant pull yourself by your boot-straps "don't ask me for sh#t" mentality is as American as apple pie. When you are broke and don't have a job, you quickly find out who are your real friends. Losing your job often equates to losing your spouse, your house and all your friends for millions of people. It sucks because most jobs are gotten through personal connections; not blindly sending resumes. How are you going to get another job through social connections when you reek of the foul stench of unemployment and desperation cologne/perfume? Its a vicious cycle.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 05-27-2012 at 09:22 PM..

Old 05-27-2012, 08:54 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,402,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
It really shows how bad unemployment is in America when the employment forum is pretty much dominated by by frustrated out of work people complaining that they can't find work. But this forum is one of the only places on the internet where real people come to tell the truth about the truly screwed up state of the job market. The pain of literally tens of millions of Americans is completely ignored and hidden by skewed unemployment stats that are plastered all over the mainstream media.

Surely, I don't think that the "did you find a job yet?" question is as condescending where you live since you reside in central California which maybe the place hardest hit by unemployment in the entire nation. People in a city like Modesto are a little bit more understanding of mass unemployment, lack of opportunities and foreclosure than where I live. I live in the DC Area which is full of non-producing government workers who are not feeling any bit of recession woes. These people surf the internet and lavishly spend your tax dollars for a living.

Out here, you have so many out-of-touch a-holes who believe that anyone who wants a job can find one in two days. I have heard many people out here say stuff like this. When you try to explain your situation (i.e. I am a recent college grad or I am over 40 years old or I have been out of work for nearly a year or more) they will just look at you blankly and imply nonverbally that you are lazy, afraid of work, bad at what you do and or a terrible worker etc. Ironically, these people are the usually the laziest most non-producing union protected workers at big companies or the federal government who can't be fired (i.e. remember the Verizon strikers last summer? Really?! Who strikes during Great Depression level real unemployment?!). In America today, it is coming to the point where either you are eating cake everyday or you are starving.

One of the worst aspects of unemployment is that it involuntarily sends people into social hibernation. In America, people are extremely unforgiving of unemployed people. Nobody wants to talk to or hang around a broke unemployed person. Being unemployed carries a huge stigma which is only a step up from being homeless. Even people in the most wholesome social environments (i.e. church) will subtly express disapproval if you are unemployed. Most people will not help even if they can help. This is because the self-reliant pull yourself by your boot-straps "don't ask me for sh#t" mentality is as American as apple pie. When you are broke and don't have a job, you quickly find out who are your real friends. Losing your job often equates to losing your spouse, your house and all your friends for millions of people. It sucks because most jobs are gotten through personal connections; not blindly sending resumes. How are you going to get another job through social connections when you reek of the foul stench of unemployment and desperation cologne/perfume?

Women don't leave their husbands because they lost their job.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 PM

428 posts, read 796,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Women don't leave their husbands because they lost their job.
Well unless there a gold digger and only in it for the money in the first place and well that would be a good thing to find out anyways... So no great loss... Missed that part of the paragraph I didnt get half way thru that one LOL

Old 05-28-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
It really shows how bad unemployment is in America when the employment forum is pretty much dominated by frustrated out of work people complaining that they can't find work. But this forum is one of the only places on the internet where real people come to tell the truth about the truly screwed up state of the job market. The pain of literally tens of millions of Americans is completely ignored and hidden by skewed unemployment stats that are plastered all over the mainstream media.

Surely, I don't think that the "did you find a job yet?" question is as condescending where you live since you reside in central California which maybe the place hardest hit by unemployment in the entire nation. People in a city like Modesto are a little bit more understanding of mass unemployment, lack of opportunities and foreclosure than where I live. I live in the DC Area which is full of non-producing government workers who are not feeling any bit of recession woes. These people do nothing but sit on their butts and surf the internet and lavishly spend your tax dollars for a living.

One of the worst aspects of unemployment is that it involuntarily sends people into social hibernation. In America, people are extremely unforgiving of unemployed people. Most working people think, "Hey, I have a job and I'm not that smart or great, if this guy doesn't have a job, there must be something wrong with him... The system works for me, you must be doing something very wrong and you deserve to be unemployed". If this were really true and obtaining a middle class lifestyle was as easy as applying for a single job, there would be exponentially less crime in this country. In reality, the economy of a big city like Baltimore is almost entirely based on the flow of illegal underworld money in the form of Baltimore being one huge open air drug market. That just goes to show you how few legit legal opportunities there are to make money for literally millions of Americans.

But most people working now have had their jobs prior to the economic downturn, so they never really had to scramble to find a job in this current market where it is extremely hard to find any type of work. Nobody wants to talk to or hang around a broke unemployed person. Being unemployed carries a huge stigma which is only a step up from being homeless. Even people in the most wholesome social environments (i.e. church) will subtly express disapproval if you are unemployed. Most people will not help even if they can help. This is because the self-reliant pull yourself by your boot-straps "don't ask me for sh#t" mentality is as American as apple pie. When you are broke and don't have a job, you quickly find out who are your real friends. Losing your job often equates to losing your spouse, your house and all your friends for millions of people. It sucks because most jobs are gotten through personal connections; not blindly sending resumes. How are you going to get another job through social connections when you reek of the foul stench of unemployment and desperation cologne/perfume? Its a vicious cycle.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:03 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,804,771 times
Goldenchild08: Exactly!

I live in Maryland, so I know what you mean - this place is full of merciless tools who think anyone who is out of work "deserves it." Sadly, from what I've seen, plenty of completely useless people get life-time employment, and the hard workers are thrown under the bus to pay for them. I'm not sure how common that is around the nation, but it typical around here.

Why do they hate the unemployed? Because they need to hate them to maintain their deluded world view that "everyone gets what they deserve."

Most of these hateful people are extreme egotists and believe that they are successful solely because of their own hard work and skill. Luck cannot have a role in it - that would reduce their over-inflated self-worth. If they admitted that many people lose their jobs or become "unemployable" because of bad luck - age, illness, etc., they would also have to call their own lives into question and consider how often good luck was responsible for their successes. They can't handle this - they need to believe that they are wonderful and perfect. So, hating the unemployed is the natural extension of this delusion.

Using "connections" to get a job is next to useless these days. As you said, most people will avoid the unemployed for fear of catching "it," as if losing one's job is a disease. It is nearly impossible to make connections once you are out of work, and most connections aren't worth much anyway. Unless you're good buddies with a hiring manager at a company in your line of work who happens to be hiring, "connections" aren't going to do squat for you. Most people don't get this, but that's because they've all heard stories about some guy who lost his job and went to work for his dad's/uncle's/aunt's company... that's nice, but that really doesn't help most people.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:30 AM

Why is it that "some" people care so much about work and what others are doing? Why is that apparently the most important thing in the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or