U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 09:30 AM

753 posts, read 1,278,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

The way I see it is that everyone you know is a resource. Why not use them. Other resources are online employment networking sites such as LinkedIn. Create a space on that site and get into networking. I bet you could find a half dozen leads into your chosen field. Sure the economy is bad but many are hiring right now. The fastest way to find a job is thru networking, online and with those that you know.
Join some professional groups on LinkedIn. I just got a job this way. Look on bulletin boards for your profession. I got another job that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 11:24 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,353,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Goldenchild08: Exactly!

I live in Maryland, so I know what you mean - this place is full of merciless tools who think anyone who is out of work "deserves it." Sadly, from what I've seen, plenty of completely useless people get life-time employment, and the hard workers are thrown under the bus to pay for them. I'm not sure how common that is around the nation, but it typical around here.

Why do they hate the unemployed? Because they need to hate them to maintain their deluded world view that "everyone gets what they deserve."

Most of these hateful people are extreme egotists and believe that they are successful solely because of their own hard work and skill. Luck cannot have a role in it - that would reduce their over-inflated self-worth. If they admitted that many people lose their jobs or become "unemployable" because of bad luck - age, illness, etc., they would also have to call their own lives into question and consider how often good luck was responsible for their successes. They can't handle this - they need to believe that they are wonderful and perfect. So, hating the unemployed is the natural extension of this delusion.

Using "connections" to get a job is next to useless these days. As you said, most people will avoid the unemployed for fear of catching "it," as if losing one's job is a disease. It is nearly impossible to make connections once you are out of work, and most connections aren't worth much anyway. Unless you're good buddies with a hiring manager at a company in your line of work who happens to be hiring, "connections" aren't going to do squat for you. Most people don't get this, but that's because they've all heard stories about some guy who lost his job and went to work for his dad's/uncle's/aunt's company... that's nice, but that really doesn't help most people.

It's not the connections that lead to a job, it's the connections of your connections-lol I was always so focused on my connections and losing sight of who my connections were connected to which is truly networking.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 AM

404 posts, read 1,007,030 times
When I was unemployed, I became a social hermit. I was even afraid to talk to my own parents about my employment status. I was getting alot of interviews but it took me 16 interviews to finally land a job. Initially I openly shared that I was landing interviews, but I had so many that people started asking "what happened with the last interview?" "why aren't you landing a job with all these interviews?"

I DONT KNOW! If I did know I'd probably land a job much sooner. All of us here know that employers aren't going to give you the rundown of exactly why you weren't hired.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:30 PM

114 posts, read 204,654 times
Enough said.
Attached Thumbnails
Damn already: Please stop asking me did I find a job yet!-white-no-job-yet.-stop-asking.  

Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,923,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
When I was unemployed, I became a social hermit. I was even afraid to talk to my own parents about my employment status. I was getting alot of interviews but it took me 16 interviews to finally land a job. Initially I openly shared that I was landing interviews, but I had so many that people started asking "what happened with the last interview?" "why aren't you landing a job with all these interviews?"

I DONT KNOW! If I did know I'd probably land a job much sooner. All of us here know that employers aren't going to give you the rundown of exactly why you weren't hired.

It's none of their business.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,299,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post

This! When my temporary assignment is up here, I am not going to tell anyone anything. I am not going to update anyone on my interviews. I am not going to update my FB status (never do anyways). I am going to keep my mouth shut and do what I have to do to find a job!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:08 AM

3,053 posts, read 3,602,179 times
I think people need to have some common sense. If you keep asking someone on a regular basis if they found a job yet and they keep saying no, you have got to realize it might be a sensitive thing. What if the person just interviewed for a position they really wanted, got rejected and have to deal with that, only to have someone ask later on during the day, "You got that job yet?"

Come on.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:11 PM
FBJ

No one should be asking that question unless they have a job lead. I don't care if it's your mom or friend or former coworker, if the answer is "no I haven't found a job yet"

their follow up should be...."Ok good because I have this friend who is looking for "

Old 06-26-2012, 06:06 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,070,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I think people need to have some common sense. If you keep asking someone on a regular basis if they found a job yet and they keep saying no, you have got to realize it might be a sensitive thing. What if the person just interviewed for a position they really wanted, got rejected and have to deal with that, only to have someone ask later on during the day, "You got that job yet?"

Come on.
Agree with you, and TVandSportsGuy, if you have a job lead-THEN ASK me, otherwise, no don't bother askining. You better believe that if I do find a job I will let you know, I will let the whole damm world now.

Though on a personel level I am in bit of an awkward place right now. I am currently taking a summer class needed to get into a nursing program (conditoinally admitted already, but I need this summer class to be "really" admitted-as one can imagine I am pouring a lot of effort into this class ), and I am volunteering on the side, so I am not actual "actively" looking for work right now. Still I get the same question..."did you find a job yet? "

Old 06-26-2012, 11:23 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Agree with you, and TVandSportsGuy, if you have a job lead-THEN ASK me, otherwise, no don't bother askining. You better believe that if I do find a job I will let you know, I will let the whole damm world now.

Though on a personel level I am in bit of an awkward place right now. I am currently taking a summer class needed to get into a nursing program (conditoinally admitted already, but I need this summer class to be "really" admitted-as one can imagine I am pouring a lot of effort into this class ), and I am volunteering on the side, so I am not actual "actively" looking for work right now. Still I get the same question..."did you find a job yet? "

But from experience it's no point in letting anyone know you found a job until you get PAST your initial 90 days because if you don't then you will end up looking like a fool. That happened to me 3 years ago and happened to my friend 2 weeks ago but my situation was less embarassing because not only was he bragging to me during his 1st 2 months at the job about how he is the man already but he also had to go home and face his wife and let her know. So it's best to stay quiet until after 90 days and then you celebrate

Now when it happened to me I was called back to work in 5 weeks and ended up working there the next 2 years. In his case he wasted 2 and a half months of his life and can't even put the job on his resume which sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or