U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:40 PM

953 posts, read 779,163 times

Advertisements

"...one guy that I really want to tell to stop asking me. But I need to figure out a nice way to tell him

It's bad enough that I am looking for work but when folks keep asking you every darn day, it gets annoying."

Tell him to mind his own beeswax, and shut his piehole, or you'll rip his lips off and paste 'em to his eyelids so he can see what he's saying...

but maybe you could say it in a nice way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 08:55 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,729,714 times
I had a neighbor who would ask constantly "are you working yet" and she was British so it sounded so formal...LOL.

Now she would see me in the yard on a Tuesday afternoon at 2pm( do you think I'm working) in a t-shirt and shorts pulling weeds.

I finally told her thank you for your concern but unless you have some job leads( she was retired) could you please not ask. I could be having a great day and focusing on something else and it brings me down. I also said if you see me home on a weekday doing yard work chances are I am not working.

She may have been a little put out, but it beat trying to avoid her and run in the house every time she appeared.

You find out soon enough who is really concerned and who is just being nosy.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,412,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I had a neighbor who would ask constantly "are you working yet" and she was British so it sounded so formal...LOL.

Now she would see me in the yard on a Tuesday afternoon at 2pm( do you think I'm working) in a t-shirt and shorts pulling weeds.

I finally told her thank you for your concern but unless you have some job leads( she was retired) could you please not ask. I could be having a great day and focusing on something else and it brings me down. I also said if you see me home on a weekday doing yard work chances are I am not working.

She may have been a little put out, but it beat trying to avoid her and run in the house every time she appeared.

You should have asked her-"are you slightly retarded?"-lol

Old 08-28-2010, 09:21 PM

173 posts, read 361,508 times
Ugh - I know!!! I graduated nursing school in May and moved away to a new state 4 days later. Well, the economy is still ****, and the market is full, and you know what - they like hiring locals here!!! I can't tell you how many times I cried after being asked, "So where are you working??" then when I say no where yet, I get "Oh my gosh! You're a registered - there is a nursing shortage. What have you been doing?"
So right there it becomes 1) you are not trying hard enough, and if you have been really trying (which I was) it's 2) well, there must be something wrong with you (which there isn't!).
I JUST got hired on at the local hospital in a highly skilled unit, thankyouverymuch. I would sincerely like to tell every single person who gave me crap and the side-eye to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.
I hope that everyone of you that is looking for employment finds it very, very soon!!!!

Old 08-28-2010, 09:27 PM

8,516 posts, read 3,959,191 times
I've gone through this with people saying "Did you find a job yet? Are you working?, etc". My impression of their comments/facial expressions is that they are thinking that I'm about to become homeless, destitute, and hungry that very minute. None of which was the case.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:31 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,412,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I've gone through this with people saying "Did you find a job yet? Are you working?, etc". My impression of their comments/facial expressions is that they are thinking that I'm about to become homeless, destitute, and hungry that very minute. None of which was the case.
I think I would have SLAP THE SH*T out of someone if they asked-"Did you find a job yet? That's a very ignorant question. It's big difference between "how is the job search going? and did you find a job yet?

Old 08-28-2010, 09:34 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,729,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
A lot of people get off on other peoples troubles.

One of the good things about being unemployed is you find out who really has your back and your best interests at heart.

And it isn't always the people you think it is going to be.

You may end up doing a little "house cleaning" with some of your so called friends and becoming closer with others.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:33 AM

13,352 posts, read 25,621,216 times
I've told unemployed friends that I'm not going to ask them about the job search, as I'm sure they will tell me when they get a job- so I can take them out for a congratulations dinner.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,929,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Most of the time it is the latter.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:56 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,929,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I think I would have SLAP THE SH*T out of someone if they asked-"Did you find a job yet? That's a very ignorant question. It's big difference between "how is the job search going? and did you find a job yet?
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or