Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:49 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,157,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorjason View Post
I completely understand. Whenever I see or communicate with my friends and family about my job status, I am always asked how things are going with my job search. Or if I tell them I have an interview coming up, they'll ask how it went the next time we see each other after that.

It's like when I was still a student as a kid. You know, you always get asked about how school is going at that age and nothing else.

I have hobbies, I have interests, and I share commonalities with people. Let's talk about something else.

I have an interview next Thursday. I think I could do the interview and job well. I wish you the best of luck on your job search.

Good luck to you as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 08:04 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,769,580 times
Ron what job are you looking for? I'm presently looking too! I have a job but need a better one. Getting my resume and portfolio together.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:09 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,157,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Ron what job are you looking for? I'm presently looking too! I have a job but need a better one. Getting my resume and portfolio together.
My background is Finance. I spent years as a Financial Analyst. I have a BS-Finance degree.

I am looking at Finance positions( Underwriter, Analyst,etc...) or a middle management position.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:09 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,627,483 times
I have a job, but today when I was in the post office a relative was there and the very first question was: Do you have a job yet? I simply responded: "Oh I am fine, thanks for asking how I am doing.

Whatever happened to really caring about people asking HOW they are doing first? It is just tasteless to ask if someone is working yet before even asking how that person is doing.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:21 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,993,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
I have a job, but today when I was in the post office a relative was there and the very first question was: Do you have a job yet? I simply responded: "Oh I am fine, thanks for asking how I am doing.

Whatever happened to really caring about people asking HOW they are doing first? It is just tasteless to ask if someone is working yet before even asking how that person is doing.
I don't think they'd care about how you're doing, either.

That "how are you doing?" stuff seems to be an automatic question at the least (does anyone really care?). It serves as a quick conversation filler. At the most, it's being nosy.

Don't mean to sound bitter, just speaking from experience.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I don't think they'd care about how you're doing, either.

That "how are you doing?" stuff seems to be an automatic question at the least (does anyone really care?). It serves as a quick conversation filler. At the most, it's being nosy.

Don't mean to sound bitter, just speaking from experience.
I agree with your point as well. Many use that as a start off point to continue asking more personal questions.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:36 PM

85 posts, read 104,576 times
There is a guy I know who uses the "How's [partner's name] doing" as a launching pad for more personal inquiries. One of them is "Is he working yet." It does irritate me quite a bit. People in my circle do regard us as a bit odd because I pull in the big paychecks and support our household, but to be honest, it's not something I care to discuss at length. Also, this guy's a bit conservative and part of his prying is to gauge the status of our relationship. I'm not always out with my partner, and the reasons are a) we are independent people, and b) we have an open relationship. Not necessarily gonna make folks happy (this guy would fall to the floor of shock if he knew), so I try to keep things light.

This fellow wasn't the only one asking at the time - my mom did, other folks did, and I kept having to say, "No, he's not working, no, he's not working," and on and on. I felt defensive and embarrassed. I came from a household where I was judged a lot, so obviously some of this IS my issue and I'm too sensitive. But at the same time, I feel like when people ask these sorts of questions, they don't REALLY want to have a conversation with me - they want to pry.

Overall, I think people could stand to be a bit more tactful in this economy. It's really, REALLY bad out there. I am so glad my partner is working now and has the luxury of being choosy to look for something better. It was not very fun when he was out of work, and it's not something I wanted to discuss over and over again. I am sure some of the askers have been out of work themselves, and I'm sure they wouldn't like it if I were asking them when they were going to find a job!

Old 09-28-2010, 04:46 PM

[quote=Mrs. Burberry;16040815]There is a guy I know who uses the "How's [partner's name] doing" as a launching pad for more personal inquiries. One of them is "Is he working yet." It does irritate me quite a bit. People in my circle do regard us as a bit odd because I pull in the big paychecks and support our household, but to be honest, it's not something I care to discuss at length. Also, this guy's a bit conservative and part of his prying is to gauge the status of our relationship. I'm not always out with my partner, and the reasons are a) we are independent people, and b) we have an open relationship. Not necessarily gonna make folks happy (this guy would fall to the floor of shock if he knew), so I try to keep things light.

This fellow wasn't the only one asking at the time - my mom did, other folks did, and I kept having to say, "No, he's not working, no, he's not working," and on and on. I felt defensive and embarrassed. I came from a household where I was judged a lot, so obviously some of this IS my issue and I'm too sensitive. But at the same time, I feel like when people ask these sorts of questions, they don't REALLY want to have a conversation with me - they want to pry.

Overall, I think people could stand to be a bit more tactful in this economy. It's really, REALLY bad out there. I am so glad my partner is working now and has the luxury of being choosy to look for something better. It was not very fun when he was out of work, and it's not something I wanted to discuss over and over again. I am sure some of the askers have been out of work themselves, and I'm sure they wouldn't like it if I were asking them when they were going to find a job![/QUOTE]

I agree.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:58 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,198,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
You hate to keep it a secret because you never know who can help you but some folks are just to annoying and nosey.

There are a couple of people that I see daily, it seems they keep asking "did you find a job yet?".

Not only do they ask but they'll ask in public places and all of a sudden ALL EYES ON ME.

Not that I am ashamed of being unemployed but man it get's old.

There's this one guy that I really want to tell to stop asking me. But I need to figure out a nice way to tell him.

It's bad enough that I am looking for work but when folks keep asking you every darn day, it gets annoying.
If you see the same "couple of people" daily, then ask them if they could help you find a job, otherwise, shut up. Also, as far as "gossiping" because you haven't found a job yet, seriously, what's the gossip? So many people nowadays are out of work, I don't see the gossip part about it unless you live in some small cliquey town where everyone knows everyone else's business and if that's the case, who cares anyways because tomorrow they'll be on to someone else's business.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:18 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,901,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
If you see the same "couple of people" daily, then ask them if they could help you find a job, otherwise, shut up. Also, as far as "gossiping" because you haven't found a job yet, seriously, what's the gossip? So many people nowadays are out of work, I don't see the gossip part about it unless you live in some small cliquey town where everyone knows everyone else's business and if that's the case, who cares anyways because tomorrow they'll be on to someone else's business.
That's what people do when someone loses their job. My own family was gossiping about me being laid off and that's why they won't ever know where I work again in life. My job is now off limits to my family. All they know is that I'm work but not thename of the company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search