U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 03:31 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,942,960 times

Advertisements

I had a resume, I tried using the objective and an executive summary which is basically is like a mission statement. I would always tailor it to the job description and had spotty results.

I had applied to a specialty military position (ART), it's sort of dual role of both military and a federal worker. Someone recommended on the resume I replace objective/executive summary with QUALIFICATIONS at the top, almost copy and paste the qualifications and put it bullet formats.

If the job description says...
Must have a minimum of 4 four years experience processing widgets
Must have a bachelors degree
Must be proficient in MS Office

I put at the top under a heading of qualifications...
Have six years experience of processing widgets
Awarded B.S. from XXX in 2004 with a GPA of 3.8
Proficient in MS Office

I kid you not, I had it that basic. I resent the QUALIFICATION resume to several companies I already applied for and had a 90% success rate of getting a positive response. Amazing how lazy H.R./recruiters are that it seems writing skills no longer matter. I just wanted to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 03:35 PM

38,888 posts, read 20,177,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I had a resume, I tried using the objective and an executive summary which is basically is like a mission statement. I would always tailor it to the job description and had spotty results.

I had applied to a specialty military position (ART), it's sort of dual role of both military and a federal worker. Someone recommended on the resume I replace objective/executive summary with QUALIFICATIONS at the top, almost copy and paste the qualifications and put it bullet formats.

Proficient in MS Office

I kid you not, I had it that basic. I resent the QUALIFICATION resume to several companies I already applied for and had a 90% success rate of getting a positive response. Amazing how lazy H.R./recruiters are that it seems writing skills no longer matter. I just wanted to share.
I started doing this as well and it has improved my response rate. Of course, I only listed the bullet points that were true of me for the desired qualifications and made it plain that I met the minimum. I listed in my skills section after my experience but it worked for me nevertheless.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:46 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,036,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post

Proficient in MS Office

This is very true. It really helps to tailor your submitted resume to the key words of the req. If you submit the same resume for every job, it may be too general.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This is very true. It really helps to tailor your submitted resume to the key words of the req. If you submit the same resume for every job, it may be too general.
Mmmmm...Thanks as I understand my point wasn't 100% clear...I had been tailoring my resume towards the job description utilized expert writing skills. I spent (or wasted) hours tailoring my entire resume towards the job description. I got about a 50% response rate.

By idiot proofing the resume and in the leaving my previous job experiences alone but replacing objective/executive summary with qualifications, I seemingly greatly increased my response rate

Old 08-28-2010, 06:29 PM

14 posts, read 34,994 times
I'm a legal assistant with over twenty years of experience, including professional writing. I just redid my resume as you said. If I get any interviews I will let you all know.
Thanks

Old 08-28-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary in Tampa View Post
I'm a legal assistant with over twenty years of experience, including professional writing. I just redid my resume as you said. If I get any interviews I will let you all know.
Thanks
Thank you. I would also appreciate if you list your experiences, if any, compared to submitting a "conventional" resume.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:08 PM

256 posts, read 1,046,399 times
Thanks for posting this! You are right. I have been spending many hours custom writing cover letters, but I think a lot of these companies, especially larger corporations, put their responses through a keyword scanner. Having the qualifications on your resume first is going to work better than a wordy cover letter.

I'll let you know if I get improved responses.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:09 PM

6,270 posts, read 18,911,465 times
I have been playing with my resume this week to try to make my experience easier to read. I used to list the programs I know but did away with that when I wasn't able to keep everything on 1 page. I've since reworded and done some strike-outs so I think I will revisit this again. I can see where this maybe very important with competition so fierce. Thanks for the tip.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:59 PM

409 posts, read 1,340,391 times
Thanks....I never thought about doing that. I will definitely try that.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:53 PM

7,371 posts, read 5,871,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary in Tampa View Post
Thanks
I am sure you will get many responses if you tailor your resume to the qualifications requested by the employer. Good luck with your career search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or