Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:44 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,177,754 times

Advertisements

[quote=seain dublin;15710780]Your welcome. I have read your threads about your job and I think you got a raw deal at that halfway house.

In regards to this interview, they weren't interested in hiring the best person.

Unless they have multiple positions they waste everyone's time when they interview that many people.

Keep your chin up.[/
QUOTE]

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 03:54 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Experience in the field in question helps.

The last place I worked that interviewed a whole bunch of people for the job was filling about 20-25 positions, so interviewing a 100 or so people to fill them wasn't really remarkable. I'd agree that if they interviewed 400 people or more for that many positions, it would have been.

Conversely, the last place I interviewed at (and was hired), I think I was the only person to come looking for the job. And they pulled a bait and switch on me. I expected to be getting a job as an assistant manager, instead they asked me to be a department manager over a department I really knew nothing about.

Produce? I don't even SHOP in the produce department!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:18 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,698,779 times
It's possible it could be a complete fabrication. Imagine if they told you it was between you and ONE other person, but didn't get it?

To how your question of how to complete...During the interview, if you are asked "why should I hire you?". You say something along lines of, "I feel I am the best candidate for the job, I realize there are probably other candidates but I bring an additional quality, my passion for excellence (or whatever might fit towards the job) let give you an example." (then list one of your greatest career accomplishments). Most people answer that question "because I'm a hard worker" or something pointless like that.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:24 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,358 times
I often thought how many of the people do, that interviewing anything over 5 or 6 is a complete waste of time. But if they want to waste the resources on it, thats fine.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:27 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,580 times
Interviewing anything more than four or five people is ridiculous. Sounds like that HR person has nothing but time. I really don't know how an HR person would remember the best candidate after interviewing 39 people. In my life, I remember a partner in a law firm interviewing 10 women for a clerical position. He didn't keep notes, and there were two candidates with the same first name. He got them confused, and hired the wrong one. Nobody forgot about that one for a long time.

Having interviewed people for many years, all I can say is address each and every point succintly, that is listed by potential employers that falls under the heading of "the ideal candidate will have".

Don't become too discouraged, I am sure that you will find a job.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:10 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,696,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
They could have went with one of the last people who interviewed. Not the best person for the job.

When you interview that many people(and they start as early as 6am) people start to "blend together".

Even if someone took notes on the candidates, with that many people they can't keep them straight.

They most likely went with #35 who interviewed at 4:15pm.
Or maybe one or two candidates really stood out from the rest of the pack and made an impression on the interviewers.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:49 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Interviewing anything more than four or five people is ridiculous. Sounds like that HR person has nothing but time. I really don't know how an HR person would remember the best candidate after interviewing 39 people. In my life, I remember a partner in a law firm interviewing 10 women for a clerical position. He didn't keep notes, and there were two candidates with the same first name. He got them confused, and hired the wrong one. Nobody forgot about that one for a long time.

Having interviewed people for many years, all I can say is address each and every point succintly, that is listed by potential employers that falls under the heading of "the ideal candidate will have".

Don't become too discouraged, I am sure that you will find a job.

I rate each of you on a scale on a number of different factors. Highest scorer overall gets it.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 PM

50,329 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Experience in the field in question helps.

The last place I worked that interviewed a whole bunch of people for the job was filling about 20-25 positions, so interviewing a 100 or so people to fill them wasn't really remarkable. I'd agree that if they interviewed 400 people or more for that many positions, it would have been.

Conversely, the last place I interviewed at (and was hired), I think I was the only person to come looking for the job. And they pulled a bait and switch on me. I expected to be getting a job as an assistant manager, instead they asked me to be a department manager over a department I really knew nothing about.

Produce? I don't even SHOP in the produce department!
Well, you should. Vegetables are good for you.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:42 PM

50,329 posts, read 63,895,871 times
You just never know. I had an interview today, but I'll only get the job if their bulls**t meter was broken.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,123 times
I just went on a interview today-90 people applied to it. It was advertised for one thing-when I got there it was another. Turns out it was working in a "sweat factory" area for laundry. Stamping marks on clothing and sheets. And it was a temp job for 4-5 months. Stand for the entire 8 hours. It really through me though that the application(why we bother with resumes is beyond me) if I'd graduated at least 5th grade. I wanted to cry right then. Are you serious? Talk about a step SO FAR backwards-why did I need a college degree! And the woman gave me the tour-I'd be the only English speaking person there. Well the job is out for me since I shattered my ankle(I'm a VESID client) and there's no way I can stand for 8 hours a day. It's really scary that many people applied for one job-only to find out it's really this when they get there. I welcome them to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search