U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:02 AM

943 posts, read 2,891,269 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I have a LinkedIn account and was able to find a recruiter for one of the companies I'm very interested in through one of my contacts. I really want to speak to her about a job opportunity but I don't know how go about it (without looking like the typical job seeker). My contact is someone I went to grammar school with that I haven't seen in about 12 years so I feel weird asking her any favors. How do I go about this directly speaking to the recruiter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 11:03 AM

Anyone?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 AM

43 posts, read 76,211 times
Just send an email, re-introduce yourself, tell him/her that you're interested in the company and ask if they would have a moment to chat with you. You're not asking for a job, ask for information - what types of opportunities are available etc...network your ass off, it's the best way to get a good job, especially these days. Be polite, don't nag, etc

Old 09-02-2010, 12:14 PM

201 posts, read 382,213 times
finding a job on linked in is about a 1/4 step better than applying for a job opening online where a 100 people are applying unless you know the person really well and are just using linked in as an email service. linked in also does not make it easy to "cold email" a person of interest so its really a fairly limited service.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by econprofessor View Post
Just send an email, re-introduce yourself, tell him/her that you're interested in the company and ask if they would have a moment to chat with you. You're not asking for a job, ask for information - what types of opportunities are available etc...network your ass off, it's the best way to get a good job, especially these days. Be polite, don't nag, etc
Thanks! I guess I'm just afraid of being ignored or just redirected to the company's website.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:31 PM

43 posts, read 76,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
Thanks! I guess I'm just afraid of being ignored or just redirected to the company's website.
That'll happen too! You just have to keep at it, some people are more than willing to lend a hand. It helps if you don't take anything personally

Old 09-02-2010, 01:40 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,547,612 times
Default Be direct and stop fearing the consequences

Be direct and confident. Introduce yourself and tell them that you interested in working for the company and that you want their help. If they can help you, pursue it. If they agree to help, make sure they do more than just refer you to some company website. Expect more if they agree to help. If they can't help, you're all the more wiser. Keep trying through other means to get into that company. There are many ways to get into these places.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:11 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,242,216 times
Sure there's a possibility she'll just refer you to the website. Maybe because she doesn't feel comfortable reconnecting with someone after so long. Or maybe just because she doesn't have any inside information to offer you. And maybe she'll give you a wealth of information. Trying doesn't cost you anything.

I agree the right approach is to ask her if she'd be willing to share information about the company culture and business in general--not to specifically ask her to help you get a job.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:43 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
I just hired someone through an ad only placed on LinkedIn. I decided to go that route, because after trying the very expensive Monster and CareerBuilder as well as Craigslist and getting no resumes that I even wanted to call for a phone interview, I felt I needed to try something new.

The quality of applicants on LinkedIn was overall great and there were only a handful that left me thinking "Why did you bother?"

I forwarded the ad to my LinkedIn contact list, and the person I ultimately hired came to me through one of my LinkedIn contacts. The new hire had mentioned to someone who is in my network that they were seeking a new position with some advancement opportunities, and when my contact saw the ad, they thought of the person I ultimately hired and forwarded the ad to them. This is a great example of how to make LinkedIn work for you.

I will definitely go that route for future hiring needs.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 PM

201 posts, read 382,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I just hired someone through an ad only placed on LinkedIn. I decided to go that route, because after trying the very expensive Monster and CareerBuilder as well as Craigslist and getting no resumes that I even wanted to call for a phone interview, I felt I needed to try something new.

The quality of applicants on LinkedIn was overall great and there were only a handful that left me thinking "Why did you bother?"

I forwarded the ad to my LinkedIn contact list, and the person I ultimately hired came to me through one of my LinkedIn contacts. The new hire had mentioned to someone who is in my network that they were seeking a new position with some advancement opportunities, and when my contact saw the ad, they thought of the person I ultimately hired and forwarded the ad to them. This is a great example of how to make LinkedIn work for you.

I will definitely go that route for future hiring needs.
It may work good for employers, but I did not see a stagering benifit to the employee unless you are the one lucky enough to have someone in your network that has an opening that YOU are qualified for. As an employee there are no clear job search functions and connecting to someone that is not part of your "network" can be onerus, especailly if your forced to look out of state or out of your industry.

I liked the idea of these 100k + job searchs where they screen out the masses but I tried one and it was a dud and as a 5-6 year chemical PE I am not part of the masses, so the site was disfunctional. Although it was a nice concept to not be competing against 100's of people on a mass jobs board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search