U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:39 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,267,472 times

Advertisements

Well, I don't see how googling someone proves 'that they are who they say they are', but anyway....

I have googled myself. Found a couple of references to other people with the same name, and some stories about a murder victim that has a similar name.

Also found a website a former fellow classmate made, apparently as a class project. He had candid-shot photos of various students and brief bios of us. I don't know about other students but he certainly didn't have my permission to post those things. No updates since fifteen years ago when the site was made, and no way to contact him (just a student email account which was cancelled long ago). I discovered this about a year ago and contacted the school's administrator who disabled the website.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if my new employer googled me, but they wouldn't find anything on FB (I've got all the privacy protections in place), and my LinkedIn profile is pretty sanitized too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 08:42 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,323,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I googled my name and found someone on Facebook with my name. I didn't like his pic or profile much so when I send cover letters to companies I state that I am not on Facebook or any similar type of website.
That sounds like just the thing you ought to put in a cover letter.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:50 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,717,286 times
Yes, you should assume they do, or someone does it for them once they find out your application is being considered.

It can be helpful if you have a very serious and professional kind of facebook page, nothing too personal but if you're very wholesome and family oriented and all your friends are wholesome types then it can only help you but if all your friends have pictures of themselves gulping beers, writing about drug use, or they look like sleezebags then it can't help you. If everyone is complaining about their jobs or you complain about yours on your facebook pages, forget being hired.

Everything you say can be used against you - and that means anything that can be offensive to those checking it out.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:55 PM

721 posts, read 2,666,861 times
My personal opinion is that if what you do outside of work doesn't affect your performance at work go ahead and do whatever you want.

My company and a few buddies companies all around the same time recently sent out memos saying you can have whatever you want on your facebook, myspace, etc but you can't mention your workplace on there.

Another interesting story. At my previous company which was a very laid back place, internet/media company so very laid back, lots of younger people, most people smoked pot, etc, we ran into a facebook situation.

A girl was comming into interview and she was going to sit down with my boss as well as a few people on our team. It wasn't our policy to check peoples facebook pages but we were in a confrence room a few minutes early and my boss decided to facebook her just to get an idea who was comming in. Her profile pic was her doing a line off her very hott friends stomach...lol. Needless to say she wasn't hired.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:19 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,178,424 times
I use my nickname on most of the areas I visit on the internet-when I Google my real name-I get things for others who've been dead of centuries. My Facebook is private and unless your a friend, you can't find things out about me. And like my Mom taught me-if you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothing at all. That way I'll not get in any hot water with potential employers.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:40 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,079,906 times
I have googled myself and nothing terribly exciting happens LOL I have taken great pains to make sure my FB, and other accounts are very well protected with their own security and privacy settings - for a reason. Nothing bad but they have privacy settings there for you LOL

If I were in HR, yes, I'd be googling all applicants. You never know if someone has something they are hiding and as the person responsible for hiring, you are the frontlines to bringing in good, stable people. I would think it's fairly commonplace these days.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:50 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,487,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
when I send cover letters to companies I state that I am not on Facebook or any similar type of website.
As someone who does interview candidates on occasion for my company, I have never seen someone make that statement on a cover letter. So if I did see someone make that statement, it would raise a flag for me.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:20 AM

3,064 posts, read 5,615,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Also found a website a former fellow classmate made, apparently as a class project. He had candid-shot photos of various students and brief bios of us. I don't know about other students but he certainly didn't have my permission to post those things. No updates since fifteen years ago when the site was made, and no way to contact him (just a student email account which was cancelled long ago). I discovered this about a year ago and contacted the school's administrator who disabled the website.
??? What right do you have to demand to have another person's web page be disabled just because you appear in one of the photos? (unless it was slanderous, of course, which would be against the school's internet TOS.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:28 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,444,060 times
Employers absolutely google candidates names. Everyone should control the top few results in Google when their name is searched. Maintaining your online identity is an essential part of a job hunt.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:36 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,093,421 times
Personally, I think it should be illegal b/c what if they get a ditsy intern to do the googling of the final candidates and he/she finds all kinds of dirt on "you" and then doesn't realize that it is even you and you don't get the job b/c of some other schmuock? Or what if someone is posting pure lies about you online (eg., an ex) or created an unauthorized face book page on you b/c they don't like you? Just sayin'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or