U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:16 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,897,201 times

Advertisements

Yes. A search of social networking is common practice today. Background checks are a regular thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 03:23 PM

13 posts, read 15,174 times
We use google, facebook, twitter, G+ everytime a candidate comes in for an interview. The reason is we want to make sure we're asking the rights questions and finding the right culture fit for our team in addition to what is provided on the conventional resume. Often times, these factors can come up in the team debriefing after the candidate's interview.

While it is important that the recruiter/hiring manager gives the OK for a candidate, the decision is still ultimately up to the team members (the ones who will be working collaboratively with the individual). I'd say: make sure anything that is socially searchable is positive and aligns with your resume.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:55 PM
mcq

336 posts, read 546,426 times
They won't find much on me outside of LinkedIn and maybe some sports hobbies of mine. I have a common name so it might be hard to find out which one's me. If I know who's interviewing me, I Google them, too. It's not a one way street. It's nice to know the interviewer's background. I've already submitted mine.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:35 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,879,890 times
They wont find anything on me except relatives names, my age, and my previous addresses.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:49 PM

125 posts, read 431,114 times
I don't have LinkedIn, FB and Twitter accounts out of privacy concerns. Would this put me at a disadvantage when a recruiter googles me and finds nothing?

Old 05-15-2014, 08:07 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,131,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
At the company I work at, the recuiters in Human Resources and many hiring managers will make a special effort to Google all finalists for employment in advance of a offer letter (new hire). A good percent of the applicants who are hired nowdays are under 40 and have a Facebook Account. Usually that is the first thing that is found and checked by the recruiters and hiring managers. They find some crazy stuff on Facebook. But you would be shocked at what they find about some strong applicants outside of Facebook after a google search.

If you were a hiring manager would you google finalists for jobs? Do you think your boss or the recruiter you worked with googled you before you were hired?

Have you googled yourself, what did you find?
Well, I got married in 12/2012. My maiden name I was the only one that was on FB. So, to find me, it was extremely easy. Now, my married name, there are a few more of us, so little harder to find. Not nearly as many as lets say "Sarah Smith" or some very common name like that, but even if they did find me... my account is private. However, I have nothing on there that I am hiding. I have family on there (dad, my father-in-law) and even if I didn't have them, mostly what I post, if and when I do is just mobile uploads or YAY TGIF type of status.

I've googled both my names, nothing pops up that I would be embarrassed about and nothing shocking at all.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:42 PM

660 posts, read 743,246 times
I've actually heard the flip side.

Where an employer will google you, and if they cannot find anything on you or if you really locked your FB/LinkedIn accounts really good via privacy settings... they would refuse to hire you on the basis that you're "ancient" or that "you have something to hide".

Old 05-17-2014, 07:09 AM

994 posts, read 1,354,541 times
I don't have a Facebook account or any other social media account so a web search of me probably won't turn up anything. I guess being off the grid helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or