U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:47 PM

239 posts, read 787,531 times

Advertisements

At the company I work at, the recuiters in Human Resources and many hiring managers will make a special effort to Google all finalists for employment in advance of a offer letter (new hire). A good percent of the applicants who are hired nowdays are under 40 and have a Facebook Account. Usually that is the first thing that is found and checked by the recruiters and hiring managers. They find some crazy stuff on Facebook. But you would be shocked at what they find about some strong applicants outside of Facebook after a google search.

If you were a hiring manager would you google finalists for jobs? Do you think your boss or the recruiter you worked with googled you before you were hired?

Have you googled yourself, what did you find?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 01:20 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,684,842 times
I am a hiring manager and I do Google finalists and check out their Facebook/LinkedIn/Myspace/Twitter site(s) as well.

I had one finalist a few months ago who got circular filed after I found information that he posted on Facebook didn't match information he put into his resume. He also referenced drug use and a very poor attitude towards women on his Facebook.

I have Googled myself, my "common name" which is not my legal name turns up a million hits, none of which are about me except a handful which are nothing I wouldn't readily disclose to an employer. My Facebook is locked down, no one can see anything except my "common name" and gender unless they are my friend. My legal name turns up zero information about me.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:16 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,956,738 times
Of course they look. Many places do a criminal background check. Why not a simple Google search? The internet is forever. It's foolish to put anything online that you don't want an employer to see.

It's incredible that people post sexually compormising photos or confess to illegal drug use online.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:43 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,325,024 times
You could Google my real name, and I happen to share names with a fairly famous bodybuilder, and a professor that has made all sorts of discoveries (I never knew of them before I searched my name). The only thing relating to me is my LinkedIn, I set Facebook privacy so my name won't come up in Google.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:07 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,490,245 times
If I google my real name, about 80% of the top hits are for a lawyer in another state who shares the same name as me. The remainder link to interviews I did with various musicians for some local music mags back in the late 90's.

As for Facebook...not only is my page locked down tight to "friends only" on everything, I also use a pseudonym on it as well so it is pretty darn hard to even find my FB page to begin with. Search FB for my real name and you find nada.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:45 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,873,279 times
They can google me all they want. I have nothing there under my full legal name. They will only find my address. There are 20 people in New York State with my name spelled identical to the way I spell mine. And so what..? I google the people who will be interviewing me and the company. I want to make sure they are who they say they are. I google their business address because I won't go to a neighborhood that isn't safe or has bad street parking, if the company is in the boroughs of NY. There are lots of job scam ads online on many major job boards. I was emailed back by several of them; one claimed to be from Heineken and asked me to email my credit report to them. Another asked for my bank account number, age and gender. OK , are they for real? I also google some of these C-level executives, if they will be the ones interviewing me. I don't want to find a news article discussing how the exec is under investigation for white collar crime or accused of pedophilia.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:50 PM

I am more interested in who they are, than they are in who I am. They can google me until their hands fall off and they're standing in front of the Maker. The corporate elite seem to be like untouchable royalty. But there are skeletons in every one of their closets; more than the average person.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:03 PM

256 posts, read 791,826 times
I hope so. When I graduated college the school newspaper tracked me down because of my academic achievements. It still shows up when I do a search on my name with my school. The only other thing I have that they could see is my LinkedIn account where I have some great recommendations. I don't have Facebook or Myspace though.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:08 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,223,335 times
I googled my name and found someone on Facebook with my name. I didn't like his pic or profile much so when I send cover letters to companies I state that I am not on Facebook or any similar type of website.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:15 PM

I would say nothing about facebook or linkedin. It sounds "defensive." Just don't say anything at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or