U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 01:08 PM

7,370 posts, read 12,762,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
She should definitely go to interview B, but NOT tell Company #A. I was referring in general to people who accept a position with #A , but then go across the street and interview with #B.
Yes well, that's not what this thread is about, so you can see why I found your post puzzling.

Looks like we're on the same page now...
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,862,146 times
Tell one company about an interview at another..are you for real? And your mom said to do what?
Do you watch Donald Trump's "The Apprentice"? I suggest you start when the new season begins this September.

Go to as many interviews as possible and get several offers at the same time. Pick the best offer and take that job. If the company of your choice is not providing the offer you need, tell them you have an offer for $____ from a competitor, and see what results that brings. If the results are not to your liking, go with company choice #2. Like another wise poster said, these companies would drop you on a dime.

"Nothing personal, it's just business."
"Play all the chips."

Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,682,700 times
I had a very good friend who did the same thing you're asking. The first company said "well good luck with company B"....I was shocked she did this, as she wasn't a stupid woman.

And this was in the 90s, when there were jobs.

Very foolish to play games, you're not the only one they're interviewing.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:35 PM

The employers have been playing games with the worker since FDR died. We don't need filmmaker Michael Moore to enlighten us, although he is amusing about it. You may not be the only they're interviewing, but you should also be generating as many interviews as physically possible.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:24 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,682,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
The employers have been playing games with the worker since FDR died. We don't need filmmaker Michael Moore to enlighten us, although he is amusing about it. You may not be the only they're interviewing, but you should also be generating as many interviews as physically possible.
Of course they have. They have the last word.

My point was in the example I used was my friend in order to hurry along the first company told them she had another offer, they immediately dropped her from the running.

This was back in 1999 in LA with a very "cush" job in the entertainment industry.

I was floored when she told me what she did, as she was very bright when it came to most things.

She got impatient and it cost her.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:34 PM

Right. Makes sense. No, we don't hurry anybody along.
Do they tell us about the other candidates that they interview? They can say, "we have narrowed it down to 10 people and there are 3 finalists." You can say ok, but I can offer this, and that, and I have X amount of experience....do the others have enthusiasm? charisma? Drive? Do they have this, and that and the other? You just have to sell yourself like you are standing before the Maker.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:10 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I have a job offer from company A. They are checking my background and if anything, I will start in two weeks. However, I have an interview at company B on Friday. I really would LOVE to work at company B and the HR rep said that they move pretty fast in their decision making, which has been evident of how fast they want to do all this. Do I tell company B about my offer to get them to move faster or to make myself look more "attractive." My Mom says I should tell them right away...I'm not so sure. I think that if anything, I could use the other offer in salary negotiations.....???
Sure you can tell them, and you will be out of the running.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:49 PM

4,229 posts, read 5,696,105 times
It's none of their business. You owe a prospective employer NOTHING.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:18 PM

110 posts, read 258,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
... HR rep said that they move pretty fast in their decision making ... Do I tell company B about my offer to get them to move faster or to make myself look more "attractive."
I recommend against telling company B anything concerning company A. I think the chances of speeding their process is unlikely (they will take the time they deem necessary regardless what you tell them, assuming they are professional). If the hiring personnel were your friends or acquaintances it might be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or