U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 02:30 PM

5,677 posts, read 8,592,236 times

Advertisements

So here is the story, I quit a job in July and took up another offer with a company starting beginning of August. The opportunity was great and things were going well until about 22 days later the company had a huge round of layoffs and I lost my job along with 18 other people (it's a small company with around 120-130 or so employees).

Now I don't know if I should list this company on my Resume as 3 weeks at a job sounds really strange and anyone reading a resume may come to their own conclusions even before I have a chance to explain that it wasn't my fault.

On the bad side I have a month gap on my Resume and nothing to show for it if I omit it even though I was working during that time.

should I or shouldn't I put this job on my Resume?

On a different note, I wish companies were heavily penalized for pulling these kinds of stunts... hiring people without any planning and just laying them off weeks later is reprehensible and a complete disregard for people Because of this company's irresponsibility I am unemployed and gave up a perfectly good job that I had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 03:44 PM

305 posts, read 905,662 times
I do know what you mean a sometimes a company may have a hidden agenda and they want you to give them the world for absolutely nothing in return. What has happen to pensions, and retirement, stability even.

If you have any working relationship with a temp agency you could put them on your resume, as a current employee and then explain during the interview that you was offer a permanent position in which you was looking for and it simply wasnt a good fit, the company had a round of layoffs and you was let go. Good Luck

Old 09-08-2010, 04:09 PM

756 posts, read 1,875,115 times
Can you go back to the old job that you quit?

I think if you have considerable amount of work experience from other positions, I wouldn't keep work experience under a month there.

Couple things: It opens a can of worms, a discussion you might not want to get into, when you are interviewing. Also, the interviewer is more likely to make assumptions such as you were not qualified or a fit, and immediately let go from a position. You wouldn't have the references and the work duration/i.e. your commitment to back you up.

I don't think the month on the resume gap is a big deal. Perhaps if it a year or more, you might need to address it in some way.

Last edited by avg12; 09-08-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 09-08-2010, 06:28 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,226,340 times
I wouldn't. Something similar happened to me years ago. I listed the first job, with the correct ending date. Thus reflecting when I sent out my resume that I was not currently employed. When asked about my status, I said that I resigned to seek new opportunities (which was obviously true).

Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 AM

1,987 posts, read 6,047,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
So here is the story, I quit a job in July and took up another offer with a company starting beginning of August. The opportunity was great and things were going well until about 22 days later the company had a huge round of layoffs and I lost my job along with 18 other people (it's a small company with around 120-130 or so employees).

Now I don't know if I should list this company on my Resume as 3 weeks at a job sounds really strange and anyone reading a resume may come to their own conclusions even before I have a chance to explain that it wasn't my fault.

On the bad side I have a month gap on my Resume and nothing to show for it if I omit it even though I was working during that time.

should I or shouldn't I put this job on my Resume?

On a different note, I wish companies were heavily penalized for pulling these kinds of stunts... hiring people without any planning and just laying them off weeks later is reprehensible and a complete disregard for people Because of this company's irresponsibility I am unemployed and gave up a perfectly good job that I had.
Depending on the positions you are applying for the hiring company might well run a "Consumer Report" or one of the specialty reports such as the "Employment Data Report". DO NOT CONFUSE THE CONSUMER REPORT WITH A CREDIT REPORT! You can read all about the various reports and information that is maintained on you at http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs6b-SpecReports.htm.

If I were you I would order as many of these free reports as possible to see what they have in them. There is no way to tell how the hiring employer will interpret this report as compared to your application and resume. If it is on these reports then it might well be better to state it than leave it out. Leaving it out, no matter what the reason, could potentially cause suspicion in the hiring manager's mind. Additionally so many applications are now reviewed through electronic means and compared to these reports. If your application time lines don't fit their's then your application can potentially be denied.

Hiring companies are only required to obtain your permission to pull some of these reports, and advise you that they are denying your application as a result of something in the report. However, if they pull the report and do not like what they see then they can deny your application based on some other reason not related to the report (i.e. your experience does not exactly meet what they are looking for) and you have no way to tell if that was exactly the case. At that point they are not even required to tell you they pulled your "Consumer Report". Check these reports out and you will be amazed that some information can even contain medical information regarding the state of your health.

Good luck!

Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,226,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Depending on the positions you are applying for the hiring company might well run a "Consumer Report" or one of the specialty reports such as the "Employment Data Report". DO NOT CONFUSE THE CONSUMER REPORT WITH A CREDIT REPORT! You can read all about the various reports and information that is maintained on you at "Other" Consumer Reports: What You Should Know about "Specialty" Reports | Privacy Rights Clearinghouse.

If I were you I would order as many of these free reports as possible to see what they have in them. There is no way to tell how the hiring employer will interpret this report as compared to your application and resume. If it is on these reports then it might well be better to state it than leave it out. Leaving it out, no matter what the reason, could potentially cause suspicion in the hiring manager's mind. Additionally so many applications are now reviewed through electronic means and compared to these reports. If your application time lines don't fit their's then your application can potentially be denied.

Hiring companies are only required to obtain your permission to pull some of these reports, and advise you that they are denying your application as a result of something in the report. However, if they pull the report and do not like what they see then they can deny your application based on some other reason not related to the report (i.e. your experience does not exactly meet what they are looking for) and you have no way to tell if that was exactly the case. At that point they are not even required to tell you they pulled your "Consumer Report". Check these reports out and you will be amazed that some information can even contain medical information regarding the state of your health.

Good luck!
It is extremely unlikely that a job lasting only a month would appear on either a consumer report or a credit report. For starters few employers ever report to bureaus. None of my jobs have appeared on them, except those I've reported myself.

Furthermore credit bureaus are required to verify the information before reporting it. By the time an employer reports the employment and the credit bureau calls to confirm it, a month has already passed, so the credit bureau would be unable to confirm it.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:45 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,276,243 times
Strangest Question I ever seen on this board

Old 09-10-2010, 07:39 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,362,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Strangest Question I ever seen on this board
Compared to yours on this or any other forum it's as normal as can be, Grasshopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or