Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:11 AM

56 posts, read 219,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I'm starting a new job that wants me to get fingerprinted at the police station. I have never done anything like this before. They also want a lot of info on the card you're supposed to bring--address, height, weight, birthplace, birthdate, etc. I feel very uncomfortable with providing all of this information along with my finger prints (I do not have any criminal record of any sort). I am considering quitting the job because I do not want to provide this information. I don't care about being fingerprinted in itself--it's providing all this personal info along with it that bothers me greatly.

What are others' thoughts on this? I feel like it's a lot of personal information to have out there along with my finger prints.
Hi Bass. I think that's okay. I mean your company might have this certain policy to follow for new employees. But, if this really bothered you, you can approach your HR and ask him/her some clarifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 04:25 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,634,965 times
For me to be a school bus driver in a local school district, I've done the finger printing background search too. Our district paid to have it done. Since the job was under civil service laws and regulations-we had to have it done. No biggie. It did catch people though that's didn't put down they'd have a few DWI's along the way.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:22 PM

18,634 posts, read 33,198,289 times
There is no real privacy anymore. Once you get used to this idea, it's a lot easier. The internet was the beginning. When I realized that someone could take a satellite photo of my house and even zoom in on my license plate, I knew it was over. The days of "being unlisted" as a privacy measure are over.
Medical records used to be (clunkily) on paper and locked up. Now they're on networks with laughable "security."
It's over.
Will this lack of privacy be misused. Likely. It's easy enough to do. I personally don't feel there's anything that can be done about it. I shudder to think what dictatorships and other poor governments could do with this.
Ours, seems like it all goes to advertising. How I love being a market niche.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:10 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,258 posts, read 8,621,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
It's quite common for government and public service jobs, especially education, and has been for a long time. Not so common in the private sector (but growing).
Growing fast, I work at an Oil Refinery, since 9/11 we now have armed security patrols, and have been background checked/screened by the FBI and Coast Guard, we are required to have TWIC Cards like an airport worker would, and our vehicles are subject to search at any time....All Goverment Mandated

Old 04-27-2014, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,904 times
I apply to for a job in a restaurant in miami international airport and want my fingerprints….I have a bankruptcy, and I was in a hospital because I was depress….

Old 04-27-2014, 09:00 PM

12,066 posts, read 23,110,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suerte67 View Post
I apply to for a job in a restaurant in miami international airport and want my fingerprints….I have a bankruptcy, and I was in a hospital because I was depress….
Why are you opening up a thread that has been dead for four years? Do you have a question?

Old 04-27-2014, 09:14 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,270,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I'm starting a new job that wants me to get fingerprinted at the police station. I have never done anything like this before. They also want a lot of info on the card you're supposed to bring--address, height, weight, birthplace, birthdate, etc. I feel very uncomfortable with providing all of this information along with my finger prints (I do not have any criminal record of any sort). I am considering quitting the job because I do not want to provide this information. I don't care about being fingerprinted in itself--it's providing all this personal info along with it that bothers me greatly.

What are others' thoughts on this? I feel like it's a lot of personal information to have out there along with my finger prints.
You have all of this on your drivers license, except birthplace. They want to make sure you are who you say you are. The fingerprints are no big deal. Had them at my last two jobs.

If you gave your drivers license to any previous employers when you started the job, you gave them the same information anyway.
Don't worry about it.

OOPS. I didnt realize this was an old thread. Wonder if the above poster has a question?

Old 05-30-2016, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,067 times
I want to know when getting finger printed for Delaware and you got a traffic ticket in maryland that you forgot to pay will that come up

Old 05-30-2016, 11:44 PM

93 posts, read 73,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
There is no real privacy anymore. Once you get used to this idea, it's a lot easier. The internet was the beginning. When I realized that someone could take a satellite photo of my house and even zoom in on my license plate, I knew it was over. The days of "being unlisted" as a privacy measure are over.
Medical records used to be (clunkily) on paper and locked up. Now they're on networks with laughable "security."
It's over.
Will this lack of privacy be misused. Likely. It's easy enough to do. I personally don't feel there's anything that can be done about it. I shudder to think what dictatorships and other poor governments could do with this.
Ours, seems like it all goes to advertising. How I love being a market niche.
Over a decade ago, a picture of my house (the numbers were readable) was published in the Jersey Journal. With the locations given in the story, any one could figure out where the houses were. When I called to complain, you would have thought I called to give an exclusive interview with BeBop my "alien" husband from Gobgob. Another time, a coworker called because there was something going on the area. His child's, along with other minors, picture was taken. JJ just posted these pictures without asking the parents for permission. There is little privacy. Honestly, I've thought finger printing is just a way from the state to make money. I mean, do they really find criminals this way? (From job seekers) Also, you give your social when you apply for a job. If there's something shady, criminal or not, in your past, they'll find it out faster with that than waiting however long it takes to get your finger print results.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:26 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,273,788 times
I had to go through all this (and more) to get a job working in a bank. I didn't have a problem with it. The job was well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search