Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 04:10 PM

450 posts, read 5,020,968 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new job that wants me to get fingerprinted at the police station. I have never done anything like this before. They also want a lot of info on the card you're supposed to bring--address, height, weight, birthplace, birthdate, etc. I feel very uncomfortable with providing all of this information along with my finger prints (I do not have any criminal record of any sort). I am considering quitting the job because I do not want to provide this information. I don't care about being fingerprinted in itself--it's providing all this personal info along with it that bothers me greatly.

What are others' thoughts on this? I feel like it's a lot of personal information to have out there along with my finger prints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 05:02 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
It's becoming more and more common to do this. I've worked for several school districts, and had to be fingerprinted for each one. I work part-time security and am required to have a guard card. That also requires fingerprints. When you're fingerprinted, they run you through the Department of Justice, and sometimes the FBI computer system(s) to see if you have a record. I had to have a Social Security Trace background check, and was run through the terrorist and sex offender registries. They have to enter all that information into the computer, so that when your fingerprints are run, it confirms that it's you and not someone else. What's your problem with it?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:16 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I'm starting a new job that wants me to get fingerprinted at the police station. I have never done anything like this before. They also want a lot of info on the card you're supposed to bring--address, height, weight, birthplace, birthdate, etc. I feel very uncomfortable with providing all of this information along with my finger prints (I do not have any criminal record of any sort). I am considering quitting the job because I do not want to provide this information. I don't care about being fingerprinted in itself--it's providing all this personal info along with it that bothers me greatly.

What are others' thoughts on this? I feel like it's a lot of personal information to have out there along with my finger prints.
I did this a month ago. I went to a nearby police station and provided my driver's license and did the Live Scan fingerprinting procedure. The woman marked the FBI and DOJ boxes on the form.

I was happy to do it for employment that offered me medical, dental, vision, 401k and retirement. Also vacation and paid holidays.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:55 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post

So basically, you are concerned about things either the employer or the police can already know or figure out:

That said, I feel that no personal info that is not absolutely nec. should not be obtained in the course of the employment process, esp. something as personal as fingerprints.
address - on your driver's liscense/employment record anyway

height - on your DL (which employer may photocopy or use in employment verification/background check/other)

weight - Anyone can probably take a good guess at that

birthplace - On your birth cert, which may be examined for I9, or if you have access to certain fin svcs sites in conjunction w/ your job, you may be asked this as a profile question

birthdate - on your DL and employment records anyway

The one thing that's not routinely part of your public or employment records: FINGERPRINTS (maybe, understandably, nec. for some jobs, but it is something more personal than the things that worry you more. And less some a certain "type" wants to yodel on about how 'you shouldn't be worried if you don't have anything to hide'.........yawn. It's about the right to privacy yahoo.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:59 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,243 times
The only reason to be worried is if you were hiding something.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 PM

993 posts, read 2,290,431 times
Before I went to work as a census enumerator, I got fingerprinted twice!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
It's quite common for government and public service jobs, especially education, and has been for a long time. Not so common in the private sector (but growing).

Old 09-08-2010, 07:53 PM

450 posts, read 5,020,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
did the Live Scan fingerprinting procedure.
What is this?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:57 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
Maybe companies don't want convicted felong working for them. You can cheat on your name and info, but not fingerprints.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:06 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
In order to get a nursing license in most states we have to be finger printed and we have to PAY FOR IT OURSELVES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search