U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 07:35 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,866,977 times

Advertisements

No, of course providing the salary request is safe but giving out refs on the Internet is something I really don't feel comfortable doing. And I won't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 03:50 PM

7,370 posts, read 12,772,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I had something simular to this. Found a recruiter on linked in, emailed my resume and they said they were interested but still had to fill out everything online through the companies website. You had to answer your minimum salary requirement or you could press "submit".
I have come across that as well, and I put 000000 in the salary field. Was I disqualified as a result? I'll never know for sure, especially since it seems most of those corporate websites are akin to your info getting sucked into a black hole and you don't hear back. I'm not giving up my salary requirements at an early stage in the game regardless.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:00 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,361,358 times
I wouldn't mind giving up my saary requirements early because a company would need to know my range. No point in coming in coming in for a interview if they can't give me what I want.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:31 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,866,977 times
I like to come in, look at the location in detail, at the workplace itself, look at who my boss and coworkers are going to be, discuss the particulars of the job - and then negotiate the salary. You kind of disqualify yourself if you give it online.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:38 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,361,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I like to come in, look at the location in detail, at the workplace itself, look at who my boss and coworkers are going to be, discuss the particulars of the job - and then negotiate the salary. You kind of disqualify yourself if you give it online.
Wouldn't that mean they could offer the numbers you want? That means you disqualified the company doesn't it?

Old 09-13-2010, 05:33 PM

7,370 posts, read 12,772,391 times
Honestly it depends on the type of job/what you do for a living. Once you get into certain types of management positions, discussing your salary requirements too early can shoot you in the foot in a great number of ways. These jobs tend to have a broad salary range where HR literally has it in front of them the the salary range is "$50k - $63k" a year, and once you get into six figures the range is even more spread out to $120k - $150k. Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd rather come in at the top. If you tell them straight away, "I am looking to make $50k a year" and they make you an offer a few weeks later, you will make $50k even though they would have given you the full $63k had you fought for it.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 AM

358 posts, read 948,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Why are these people asking for references and salary requirements to be provided online? They could be scam artists or identity theft thieves. They have aol or gmail emails (not legitimate company emails), or the anonymous ones. I don't know them from Adam. Why should I email them my refs and salary reqs online? They won't reveal themselves, why should I give them my personal info like that? Here's what I think. I bet they are agencies and headhunters looking to get more clients by getting your reference names and contact info. Once they have that, they will cold call everybody and try and sell them a "temp" or whatever. They also want to know what job hunters are asking for in terms of salary, as well as what kinds of people are out of work. They are culling for industry info and ways to increase their "client list." If I gave out all my references to all these job posters online, then I would soon lose those references. It's always been my practice to both give out refs and discuss salary at interviews only, and if the employer shows an interest in hiring me. I find it disturbing that "invisible" people who could be anybody, are asking for this info online. The person posting the "job ad" could be my next door neighbor who wants to see what the resumes of the people in his field look like. He wants to see who he's competing against. I know people actually do this. Is it fair to respond and just state in the email something like,"Due to the high incidence of identity theft and scams, I am unable to provide references online. (Likewise), I would prefer to discuss salary requirements at the time of interview, when I am able to speak with you further and we can both assess what a reasonable salary would be for someone with my qualifications." I'm desperate for a job but not desperate to have my identity stolen or lose my references. Any thoughts?
A lot of companies who post jobs on Craig's List are small businesses who cannot afford servers and maintain IT needs, so they use gmail or another free E-mail service. People can't steal identities from salary requirements. There are many jobs out there that are scams; you just have to use good judgment. And I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for references immediately. Also, a lot of companies hate being contacted; they are too busy to be bothered so they omit contact information and they specifically ask at the bottom not to be contacted.

I have never heard of any of my references telling me that they have been contacted by headhunters and employment agencies trying to entice them, and I have never heard of this happening at all. Employers often request salary requirements up front so that they can weed you out if your requirement is too high to afford you or too low that you don't have the confidence and skills necessary for a job.

I suppose anyone could post a job ad to see who their competition is out there, but not everyone is willing to use their money like that. The effort needed for this is better spent on networking and the money should be spent on stamps and gas.

If you are still receiving call backs while not doing everything that an employer is asking for, then I guess you can afford to have your standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or