Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 03:17 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
So don't furnish that information. Just last week I responded to an ad which said in bold at the end:

"RESUMES SUBMITTED WITHOUT SALARY REQUIREMENTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED."

Well I sent my resume without it, and I didn't even mention their silly request. Now I have an interview there on Friday.

I think if it is a legit job and you seem like a worthy & qualified candidate, they will call you regardless.
I had something simular to this. Found a recruiter on linked in, emailed my resume and they said they were interested but still had to fill out everything online through the companies website. You had to answer your minimum salary requirement or you could press "submit".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 05:51 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Yes if they don't mention the company name or they use a free email account, it's likely that they aren't a real job. Not all but many.

But your salary requirements are hardly useful for identity thieves. Your name, address, and phone number are far more useful, and that is on your resume/cover letter, with or without salary requirements. So if you're really worried about identity theft, you shouldn't send your resume to anyone, ever!

I have found legitimate jobs from anonymous postings. In all of them, I had a good guess at who the company was. And when they contacted me to set up the interview, they used their company name, so I had a chance to prepare for the interview. They simply chose not to use their name in the advertisement because they didn't want to be inundated with calls from recruiters and staffing agencies and completely unqualified applicants. So I don't think job seekers should completely rule out anonymous ads. Just use your judgement. If it's a fake ad or a scam, likely there are other clues in the ad, besides the anonymous employer name and the email address.

Last edited by kodaka; 09-12-2010 at 06:59 PM..

Old 09-12-2010, 06:47 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
If you never send your resume to anyone, you will never get an interview and a job. What exactly can someone do with your name, address and phone? Put you on a mailing list? Mail you some junk? I don't know, stalk you in your neighborhood and try to jump you? They need your social number and exact birth date to really do something. They would also have to forger your signature. We can't live in fear either. You can put your full name and email and omit the phone and address. Employers might think you are weird or are a con artist yourself. But it is an option. I have seen resumes with full name, city/state/zip, then email line. No address and no phone. The exact address and phone were given out once the employer established email contact and revealed they were legit.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:50 PM

6 posts, read 32,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Here's the thing. You want to know who they are too. You want to google them, check facebook, and yes, locate the company. Read their professional profile. You can only do that if they use a legitimate company email
Exactly, and that is why I never apply for a job if they do not state who they are. They fact that they won't state who they are should let you know something is not right about that job posting. Not necessarily that they aren't a "real employer" but it shows a complete lack of respect for applicants.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:50 PM

What about employers/HR who post ads using anonymous or free accounts because they don't want their current employee who is being replaced or to be fired to find out? People are computer savvy these days and it's likely that the employee might find out if you put the company info in the ad.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janevelez View Post
Exactly, and that is why I never apply for a job if they do not state who they are. They fact that they won't state who they are should let you know something is not right about that job posting. Not necessarily that they aren't a "real employer" but it shows a complete lack of respect for applicants.

I have to agree.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
If you never send your resume to anyone, you will never get an interview and a job. What exactly can someone do with your name, address and phone? Put you on a mailing list? Mail you some junk? I don't know, stalk you in your neighborhood and try to jump you? They need your social number and exact birth date to really do something. They would also have to forger your signature. We can't live in fear either. You can put your full name and email and omit the phone and address. Employers might think you are weird or are a con artist yourself. But it is an option. I have seen resumes with full name, city/state/zip, then email line. No address and no phone. The exact address and phone were given out once the employer established email contact and revealed they were legit.

You are right, generally they will need more than just your name/address/phone number. But my point is, those three things are certainly more useful than your salary requirements! In your OP you said that you thought anonymous job ads that requested your salary requirements could be identity thieves. And my point is--how so? The two things just don't relate.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:05 PM

For instance, I just resume bombed some Craigslist ads for a few days now. I got back 4 or 5 emails back from the poster. One provided a link to do a credit check online - red flag. The others were all identical in format and stated that owner was out of the country for a few months. The address on the bottom was Estonia or some other country. He was describing that the person filling said job would receive packages and forward them on to another location. I was thinking "drugs" or "stolen merchandise." The other request was for age, gender and address, there was also a reference to depositing funds in a bank account. "Owner" never gave name of company, his name and title anywhere in email. The end of the email mentioned that "compensation would be provided when owner returns to U.S. in 10 weeks." Is he for real? This clearly sounded like a scam, but at one point I though it was amusing because it was so obvious.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
For instance, I just resume bombed some Craigslist ads for a few days now. I got back 4 or 5 emails back from the poster. One provided a link to do a credit check online - red flag. The others were all identical in format and stated that owner was out of the country for a few months. The address on the bottom was Estonia or some other country. He was describing that the person filling said job would receive packages and forward them on to another location. I was thinking "drugs" or "stolen merchandise." The other request was for age, gender and address, there was also a reference to depositing funds in a bank account. "Owner" never gave name of company, his name and title anywhere in email. The end of the email mentioned that "compensation would be provided when owner returns to U.S. in 10 weeks." Is he for real? This clearly sounded like a scam, but at one point I though it was amusing because it was so obvious.
And again, it isn't merely the anonymity of the company or the email address that raise questions about the legitimacy of the ads. I mean they could have given you a company name and used a different email address, and the job would still seem suspect--I would hope!

Old 09-12-2010, 07:29 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,390 times
I agree with your points however you can always say references provided upon request and giving a salary requirement in no way gives someone info to steal your identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search