U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:06 AM

2,043 posts, read 4,857,476 times

Advertisements

Why are these people asking for references and salary requirements to be provided online? They could be scam artists or identity theft thieves. They have aol or gmail emails (not legitimate company emails), or the anonymous ones. I don't know them from Adam. Why should I email them my refs and salary reqs online? They won't reveal themselves, why should I give them my personal info like that? Here's what I think. I bet they are agencies and headhunters looking to get more clients by getting your reference names and contact info. Once they have that, they will cold call everybody and try and sell them a "temp" or whatever. They also want to know what job hunters are asking for in terms of salary, as well as what kinds of people are out of work. They are culling for industry info and ways to increase their "client list." If I gave out all my references to all these job posters online, then I would soon lose those references. It's always been my practice to both give out refs and discuss salary at interviews only, and if the employer shows an interest in hiring me. I find it disturbing that "invisible" people who could be anybody, are asking for this info online. The person posting the "job ad" could be my next door neighbor who wants to see what the resumes of the people in his field look like. He wants to see who he's competing against. I know people actually do this. Is it fair to respond and just state in the email something like,"Due to the high incidence of identity theft and scams, I am unable to provide references online. (Likewise), I would prefer to discuss salary requirements at the time of interview, when I am able to speak with you further and we can both assess what a reasonable salary would be for someone with my qualifications." I'm desperate for a job but not desperate to have my identity stolen or lose my references. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 08:18 AM

7,370 posts, read 12,752,256 times
So don't furnish that information. Just last week I responded to an ad which said in bold at the end:

"RESUMES SUBMITTED WITHOUT SALARY REQUIREMENTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED."

Well I sent my resume without it, and I didn't even mention their silly request. Now I have an interview there on Friday.

I think if it is a legit job and you seem like a worthy & qualified candidate, they will call you regardless.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:23 AM

OngletNYC, thank you. So there's really no need to put any "legalized" messages in the email.That might scare them, no? I do not want to intimidate them either. I see your point. They can put anything they want in the ad. We still control what they get from us. They will pick from what they get back from us.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 AM

56 posts, read 199,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Why are these people asking for references and salary requirements to be provided online? They could be scam artists or identity theft thieves. They have aol or gmail emails (not legitimate company emails), or the anonymous ones. I don't know them from Adam. Why should I email them my refs and salary reqs online? They won't reveal themselves, why should I give them my personal info like that? Here's what I think. I bet they are agencies and headhunters looking to get more clients by getting your reference names and contact info. Once they have that, they will cold call everybody and try and sell them a "temp" or whatever. They also want to know what job hunters are asking for in terms of salary, as well as what kinds of people are out of work. They are culling for industry info and ways to increase their "client list." If I gave out all my references to all these job posters online, then I would soon lose those references. It's always been my practice to both give out refs and discuss salary at interviews only, and if the employer shows an interest in hiring me. I find it disturbing that "invisible" people who could be anybody, are asking for this info online. The person posting the "job ad" could be my next door neighbor who wants to see what the resumes of the people in his field look like. He wants to see who he's competing against. I know people actually do this. Is it fair to respond and just state in the email something like,"Due to the high incidence of identity theft and scams, I am unable to provide references online. (Likewise), I would prefer to discuss salary requirements at the time of interview, when I am able to speak with you further and we can both assess what a reasonable salary would be for someone with my qualifications." I'm desperate for a job but not desperate to have my identity stolen or lose my references. Any thoughts?
Wow! Mystique, your post is very enlightening. I mean I have never thought about this before. I used to visit craiglist before and just sent my resume to those "employers" who were posting job positions that I like. OMG! You're definitely right. I guess all job-seekers should know about this.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:56 AM

Here's the thing. You want to know who they are too. You want to google them, check facebook, and yes, locate the company. Read their professional profile. You can only do that if they use a legitimate company email. Do you want to work for the next Bernie Madoff in training? Isn't it your responsibility also to check out who your future boss will be? When "Bernie" is subpoenaed to court, and all his documents as well, (that perhaps you worked on also or assisted), do you want to be called as a witness? Do you want to be in the newspapers and on the Internet because of something your boss or supervisor "did?" I know I don't.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:40 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,917,156 times
That is very true Mystique. Very few of them use legitimate company emails. While some people have found jobs on Craigslist, it is still a den of scams and fake jobs.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:44 PM

37,090 posts, read 45,584,713 times
I always ask for information and a contact person at the company before I send any personal information. Why should I give that out to strangers? If they're legit. they shouldn't mind.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:45 PM

I have also noticed most of them say to email resume, but who is to say who is on the other end receiving that resume? How is any job seeker going to know if the job posting is legit or not if there is no identifying info in the ad? That is the biggest complaint I have seen regarding the Craigslist job section.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:45 PM

222 posts, read 698,929 times
I never give out this info until the interview.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I always ask for information and a contact person at the company before I send any personal information. Why should I give that out to strangers? If they're legit. they shouldn't mind.
When I was looking for work I used Craigslist for a brief period. I would always send an email asking for their company name and a telephone number. 95% of the time I didn't get any responses to those emails because they were scams/fakes.

Now some of them have gotten smart and state in their ads: "Emails without resumes attached won't be read." That is a big red flag to me. Why should they have personal info of applicants, when the applicant does not know who is getting their info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or