U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:17 PM

13,322 posts, read 25,578,684 times

Advertisements

If it indeed is a policy, then it should be written down as such, at HR or employee handbook or whatever.
I am also an "employee at whim" but there are still HR policies and rules. The managers often pull some "rule" out of their butts, and when you expect them to play ball and show the written policy or talk to your lawyer, they roll over and play dead (one reason I have such disrespect for the immediate management at my institution).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 01:05 PM

38,888 posts, read 20,177,151 times
I am working at multiple part-time jobs within my chosen field and not only are my supervisors aware of my job search activities, they are more than willing to provide me with references. Due to the unstable nature of my hours, they KNOW that a full-time job with benefits would be in my best interests. I could possibly understand your boss's demands IF this were a full-time position with benefits but this is PART-TIME employment! OF COURSE you are going to aim for full-time work with benefits as you worked your buns off in college for that purpose. Yes, the boss can do whatever she wants and make all sorts of demands but this is ridiculous! If she does not want her employees to search for other employment then offer them FULL-TIME work with BENEFITS!

Old 09-11-2010, 02:43 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,320,429 times
Well that's it. It's an unreasonable policy. If I follow it, the only way I can leave is if I get fired, which makes no sense.

Of course I could quit without a job lined up...

BTW: Go Buckeyes!

Old 09-11-2010, 04:07 PM

9,036 posts, read 14,826,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
My concern is being fired period, I don't want that on my record.
I guess you'll just have to quit then (and have THAT on your record) and put to the test your claims that anyone should be able to get another job in 3-6 months......

Old 09-11-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I guess you'll just have to quit then (and have THAT on your record) and put to the test your claims that anyone should be able to get another job in 3-6 months......
Or I could just apply elsewhere... I have another 2 interviews in the coming weeks, I haven't had any in nearly 3 weeks, so I'm hopeful...

And my claim was 8 months is the most it should be theoretically, and 16 months if you are incompetent.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:41 PM

11,952 posts, read 21,551,652 times
I thought you got a "dream job" a few months ago, what happened to that

Old 09-11-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I thought you got a "dream job" a few months ago, what happened to that
Just look at my past posts, I've explained it about 10 times. Short answer: The offer was pulled because the department with this company had financial issues and eliminated the job.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:04 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,248,736 times
Quote:
Well that's it. It's an unreasonable policy. If I follow it, the only way I can leave is if I get fired, which makes no sense.

Of course I could quit without a job lined up...

BTW: Go Buckeyes!
Of course getting fired isn't the only way.

You could resign. Or you could transfer or get promoted to another position where you work under another manager who doesn't have the same rule. Or you could stick around long enough in this job that your boss doesn't feel used or abused or forgets about the rule she made.

There's no law that says rules are only rules if an employer writes it down in a handbook. Your employer knows this, and so do potential employers. It would be unwise to break a rule just because you think it's not a 'real rule'.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:11 PM

11,952 posts, read 21,551,652 times
Quote:
Just look at my past posts, I've explained it about 10 times. Short answer: The offer was pulled because the department with this company had financial issues and eliminated the job.
Ahh OK

well anyway back to the thread, if this happened to me I'd contact our union attorney who would tell me if this was legal. If not legal, we'd file a grievance.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
There's no law that says rules are only rules if an employer writes it down in a handbook. Your employer knows this, and so do potential employers. It would be unwise to break a rule just because you think it's not a 'real rule'.
It's not a real rule. I have a contract. Let me put this in simpler terms.

Pretend you're buying a car, you sign a contract with the price, warranty, monthly payment, etc. Right as you are about to drive away, the sales manager runs out and says, "oh by the way, if you don't park in a garage, your warranty will be voided." You have 3 options now, one is going back and asking them to cancel your contract, the other is ignoring it, the third is building a garage and parking in it.

Most likely you'll say, "whatever," with the knowledge that you have a contract, and this guy is a knucklehead.

I'm not sure what kind of company you work for, but you can generally not make such large amendments to an employment contract without permission.

At any rate, how unreasonable is it (therefore unlikely)? I work for a large company, and can guarantee that we aren't a third rate shop who abuses their employees.

It was a bad management decision/statement. It ends there. But you being the HR "professional" are convinced that you can modify contracts without consent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or