Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:10 AM

20 posts, read 88,190 times

Advertisements

I've have a few interviews since I was fired Sep 30th and every one of them I have been asked why was I fired. Should I be giving details? Should I say they are claiming misconduct? Should I say they are hypocritical bass turds and I was unfairly discharged? (that was a joke for those who lack a sense of humor). I want to be honest yet not be immediately forgotten because of this one back mark on my work history.

I've talked to so many people at my former employer and a couple of them will happily let me use them as a reference, and feel its wrong what was done to me.

So at an interview when I'm asked "why were you discharged" what answer would you give? I've been telling my interviewers that i was fired for a email I sent to a colleugue.... should i not give somuch info? More?

I have a face to face interview today at 1pm for a job I would LOVE to have and I know I will be asked this question. And I want to be ready for it.

I appreciate your help! You've all been so kind... even the the harsh bitterly honest people :-) I'm taking it all in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 08:06 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
You need to put some sort of spin on it. If you give any indication of misconduct on a previous job you will not be hired.

Most employers won't even reveal you were fired. It would be worth it to have someone or hire someone to call your former place of employment pretending to be a reference checker and find out what they will say. Most likely it will be title, salary, and dates of employment.

If you were there a short time maybe spin it so that this just wasn't a good fit, the environment was wrong for you, the job was different than you were led to believe etc.

If you were there a long time say that things changed and it was no longer a good fit for you.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:15 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,000 times
I don't know about the company you used to work for but for a lot of places it is company policy to only give your start date, rate of pay, position held and your end date. There are companies out there you could use to give a background check on yourself to see what former employers are saying about you. If you don't feel like paying one of these companies, perhaps you could get a friend to call your former employer and ask about you. If they only give out the information I listed above, I wouldn't even tell them that I got fired.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:29 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
How do they know you were fired in the first place? Are you telling them?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:30 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
If you don't feel like paying one of these companies, perhaps you could get a friend to call your former employer and ask about you. If they only give out the information I listed above, I wouldn't even tell them that I got fired.
This gets suggested a lot. Companies don't actually just give this information to any person who calls and asks for it. Most will try and do some kind of verification of who they are talking to before giving out that kind of information.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:38 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
OP, you talk too much. The information you posted on your other thread with personal emails was a mistake.

Why are you even bringing up being fired? In this job market you start talking about being fired and gross misconduct and you can forget getting a job.

You need a coworker(not your former boss) to be your reference and get you're stories straight as to why you left.

I don't like being dishonest, but you(from your other thread) have created quite a mess. You're going to have to say something like it was no longer a good fit and get your coworker/friend who is your reference to be on the same page.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
I don't know--I HIT a boss and got fired over it, and I just said that I had a personal disagreement with management, and I hoped it wouldn't be repeated.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:34 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Some job apps ask if you've ever been terminated.
You could always say the company/boss was insane and you were planning on quitting anyway.
If that's also the truth, it would help.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:02 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
I agree with most of the above posters... less history, more mystery! I've been "let go" from a job (not technically fired, but didn't finish a probationary period), and I either say I was laid off or "pursued other opportunities." Your former employer can't say anything if you don't give permission, so just use creative language and leave out as much as possible. And if you're concerned about lying or even creatively spinning the job, maybe just leave it off your resume altogether? Depending on how long you worked there & your previous work history, it might be better to have a gap rather than a discharge.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:24 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I agree with most of the above posters... less history, more mystery! I've been "let go" from a job (not technically fired, but didn't finish a probationary period), and I either say I was laid off or "pursued other opportunities." Your former employer can't say anything if you don't give permission, so just use creative language and leave out as much as possible. And if you're concerned about lying or even creatively spinning the job, maybe just leave it off your resume altogether? Depending on how long you worked there & your previous work history, it might be better to have a gap rather than a discharge.
Unless the job shows up in a background check
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search