U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 02:54 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,641,437 times

Advertisements

This is more of a rant than a question. I've been getting a lot of calls from recruiters, which is a great thing considering how bad the job market is. But in speaking with some of these people, I can't help but wonder how these people even got that job. They'll call up, quickly say who they are, sometimes say which firm they're with and sometimes won't, barely describe the job they're calling you about, and then ask you to send them your resume so they can submit you. Hold your horses man. You barely told me about the job, I've spoken with you for less than a minute, and you want me to just give you my resume so you can send it to your client? Sometimes, I get the feeling these guys are just grabbing every resume they can find and throwing it at their client, hoping one of them sticks. I also get the impression they're reading from a script. Don't they train these people on how to talk to a prospective candidate or do they just yank them off the street, give em a phone and say "start calling." I don't know about the rest of you, but I have to feel pretty comfortable with a recruiter before I let them have a copy of my resume. I've worked with some really great recruiters in the past. My last two jobs were through recruiters. But I've heard enough horror stories about the unprofessional recruiters who take your resume, rewrite it and/or submit it for jobs without your approval. And in hearing how poor their communication skills are sometimes, I think "do I really want this guy representing me to their client?" I know the recruiter works for the client, not me. But if they leave a bad impression on the client, that doesn't exactly my cause.

If a recruiter can get me an interview, I'll work with them. But some of these people make me just want to hang up the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 06:17 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,337,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
This is more of a rant than a question. I've been getting a lot of calls from recruiters, which is a great thing considering how bad the job market is. But in speaking with some of these people, I can't help but wonder how these people even got that job. They'll call up, quickly say who they are, sometimes say which firm they're with and sometimes won't, barely describe the job they're calling you about, and then ask you to send them your resume so they can submit you. Hold your horses man. You barely told me about the job, I've spoken with you for less than a minute, and you want me to just give you my resume so you can send it to your client? Sometimes, I get the feeling these guys are just grabbing every resume they can find and throwing it at their client, hoping one of them sticks. I also get the impression they're reading from a script. Don't they train these people on how to talk to a prospective candidate or do they just yank them off the street, give em a phone and say "start calling." I don't know about the rest of you, but I have to feel pretty comfortable with a recruiter before I let them have a copy of my resume. I've worked with some really great recruiters in the past. My last two jobs were through recruiters. But I've heard enough horror stories about the unprofessional recruiters who take your resume, rewrite it and/or submit it for jobs without your approval. And in hearing how poor their communication skills are sometimes, I think "do I really want this guy representing me to their client?" I know the recruiter works for the client, not me. But if they leave a bad impression on the client, that doesn't exactly my cause.

If a recruiter can get me an interview, I'll work with them. But some of these people make me just want to hang up the phone.
In a lot of firms it's a commission only sales job with little to no training. I knew someone who did it and the company had 100% annual turnover. At least.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:50 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,732,222 times
Short answer - yes. They are sales reps, and they definitely do have scripts. They often are partially paid by the number of calls they make & the number of resumes they dump in their database.

It is a sales position and a numbers game [unless they are the managers or have worked in a firm or industry long enough to have made good placements & a rep]. Firms work for the employers. Reps get a piece of the commission that goes to the firm if they place someone. Many are run like call centers. Managers listen in on calls, run call accounting software etc. etc.

That said, even in this dynamic there are knowledgeable recruiters out there, know their industries, can be honest about your prospects. But these guys are not there to help you out. If you are a "hot" prospect they can place, they may tweak your resume a bit & coach you on interviewing. It is in their best interest to get you a good salary as their commission depends on it. They are buyer's agents. They may help you, the product, present well- but their client is the buyer, and they will not mess up that relationship. They will not work to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse!

Another "but" -- there are a few "product agents" out there. These are the few recruiters that YOU pay, and if they think they can sell you - they will work hard to get you a good salary. They only get paid if you do.

Many, if they choose to take the chance of selling you, will want an exclusive on you. You are under no obligation to do so unless they guarantee you a placement, which they won't.

I would never tell anyone not to use them, but know who they work for, and use one who knows your industry and has been in the business for a while. Interview them they way they will interview you. Ask the questions about your job or industry. If they don't know it as well as you do, then look elsewhere.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:18 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,155,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

I once had a recruiter contact me for a job after getting my resume from the CalJobs website (governmental EDD website that those on UI are required to sign up for). Although I appreciate her informing me about this particular position, I went ahead and applied directly to the company posting the job. My concern was when I did a search as her area code was no where near the location of the position, it appeared that she may have been working from home so how the heck would she have access to resumes on a government website?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search