U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 11:53 PM

926 posts, read 1,937,931 times

Advertisements

Yeah I know, sounds like an oxymoron. You don't have to be a genius to work in customer service - I should know, I've worked in the industry for over 5 years now. But while aiming to improve myself, I did get an unrelated BA.
Now I just saw an ad that looks ideal for me - same general sector (e-commerce) as my experience but the schedule is really something special. PM/night shift. Then finally no more nagging supervisor telling me I have to be there at 9am when she knows I can only start later.

But the question is, remove the degree for an entry level job application or not? The job calls for "up to 1 yr experience in e-commerce customer service, preferably in a call center". Well I have more than a year in a call center and several years in a regular office where the customer contact mediums were chat and email. I figure that nowadays there will be lots of applicants with college degrees, regardless of the entry level nature of the job. If I remove the degree I might be beat out by the competition who leave their degrees on their resumes. Then again, if I leave it on, the employer could think...hey why is he applying to CS when he has a degree in such and such?

STT Resident, you're still on ignore so save your breath. And quit following me around on CD posting your drivel on my threads. Let someone with common sense make a contribution for once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 12:11 AM

580 posts, read 2,018,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Yeah I know, sounds like an oxymoron. You don't have to be a genius to work in customer service - I should know, I've worked in the industry for over 5 years now. But while aiming to improve myself, I did get an unrelated BA.
Now I just saw an ad that looks ideal for me - same general sector (e-commerce) as my experience but the schedule is really something special. PM/night shift. Then finally no more nagging supervisor telling me I have to be there at 9am when she knows I can only start later.

But the question is, remove the degree for an entry level job application or not? The job calls for "up to 1 yr experience in e-commerce customer service, preferably in a call center". Well I have more than a year in a call center and several years in a regular office where the customer contact mediums were chat and email. I figure that nowadays there will be lots of applicants with college degrees, regardless of the entry level nature of the job. If I remove the degree I might be beat out by the competition who leave their degrees on their resumes. Then again, if I leave it on, the employer could think...hey why is he applying to CS when he has a degree in such and such?

STT Resident, you're still on ignore so save your breath. And quit following me around on CD posting your drivel on my threads. Let someone with common sense make a contribution for once.
In my opinion, if you think the degree isn't helping you, it's probably hurting you. If it is unrelated, I would remove it.

Overqualified is a term that is freely used these days. I once had a job offer only to have it withdrawn because I was overqualified. I asked her since I've never performed this type of work before, how could I be overqualified? She said I had made too much on my previous job.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:40 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,419,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
If I'm on ignore then what's the point in addressing me? I have far better things to do than "follow you around" on CD. You are severely overestimating your self importance. Glad to hear that you're actively looking for a new position, you funny little boy, and you should seriously go after this one as obviously the hours will suit you much better. I don't think dumbing down a resume, particularly in your case, is really necessary.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:30 AM

3,785 posts, read 9,240,075 times
I customize each resume for the job applying for. I only list things that are directly applicable to the job post. If the job doesn't require my degree, then I don't list it. I always list all of my employers, but even then I only list the duties I performed at that job that directly relate to the job I'm currently applying for.

This isn't as hard as it would seem. I have a master database of every job duty, class, volunteer work that I've ever done in my life (it's a huge list and always 100% true) and then I just pick items from that list.

Someone on here said that they actually copy and paste requirements from the actual posting, I do that, too (as long as I have that experience/meet the requirements). It was actually a really good thread, but I can't remember the title of it.

Yes, this has been working for me. I most recently applied for and accepted my current job in Dec 2009.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:38 AM

13,325 posts, read 25,301,489 times
I was told not to go back past 1995. So I'm going to try it, and see what happens.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:08 AM

5,546 posts, read 8,614,222 times
I think it's ok to leave the degree off, but sort of sad it's come to this.

Just remember which version of what resume you've used to apply for what job.

Oh, and forget advancement in that particular company (if a job is posted that does require a degree), as once stated that you don't have a degree, it would be hard to explain away how you "forgot" to include that detail.

If you think you want to stay with the company for a long time and can see advancement potential, I'd put the degree down.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:27 AM

850 posts, read 1,370,536 times
I think no matter what you do nowadays, it might not matter anyway. You can go into an interview without it on there and then find out that they want someone better educated or end up being told your overqualified. You worked hard for what you have, why not showcase that you want to college and got your BA. It sucks when you don't get offered a job, but I wouldn't down play who really are or what you have accomplished. It's a no win situation in this economy nowadays.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:42 AM

5,546 posts, read 8,614,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
I think no matter what you do nowadays, it might not matter anyway. You can go into an interview without it on there and then find out that they want someone better educated or end up being told your overqualified. You worked hard for what you have, why not showcase that you want to college and got your BA. It sucks when you don't get offered a job, but I wouldn't down play who really are or what you have accomplished. It's a no win situation in this economy nowadays.
True to an extent, but I can see a reason to leave a PhD off a resume when applying for a CS position. A BA has become the new high school diploma anyway. I guess I'd include it, but still think it's fine to leave it off.

I come across jobs I've applied for that say "high school diploma" or "GED" wanted. I am not going to include I have a master's degree when I apply for those jobs.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:10 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,066,558 times
Personally speaking, I customize my resume depending on the job I'm applying for. If I put every bit of my experience and work history on one resume it's going to be a chore to read it, so I customize. I think in your case it would be perfectly acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or