Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,159 times

Advertisements

the thing is, some people are going to do whatever they please regardless of common sense, decency or company policy. It's a rare few, but they're out there. Some are a real piece of work. You have to be careful.If someone treats you like **** at work then you KNOW they're not going to give you a decent reference.I mean, come on, really.....? Move on. And don't use that person as a reference.It's just common sense. It's ok. It happens at least once in your lifetime (if not more): You do your best (or really well) at a job where a person in power just turns out to be a real c**t. Life. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 09:57 AM

442 posts, read 1,077,799 times
The "not eligible for rehire" designation needs to be made illegal if that designation is shared with other employers. It IS a form of blacklisting. Understand, people, not every employer is in the right; there are lots and lots of them who violate the law and illegally terminate employees.

What is really onerous about this designation is that a prospective employer assumes that if a previous employer designates a person "do not rehire" that person was a bad employee, a bad risk. Never mind the circumstances surrounding the termination; that person is bad, and that is that. How in the hell, people, is one EVER supposed to work again when some jerkwad employer can blacklist you?

There are also many lawsuits that have been filed against companies and agencies who stupidly still have this designation. The old school district where I was illegally fired has at least two lawsuits pending against it regarding the "do not rehire" designation. In both of these cases, it involved people who were sacked or retired and wanted to be able to apply for or work as a substitute for that district.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:03 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
The "not eligible for rehire" designation needs to be made illegal if that designation is shared with other employers. It IS a form of blacklisting. Understand, people, not every employer is in the right; there are lots and lots of them who violate the law and illegally terminate employees.

What is really onerous about this designation is that a prospective employer assumes that if a previous employer designates a person "do not rehire" that person was a bad employee, a bad risk. Never mind the circumstances surrounding the termination; that person is bad, and that is that. How in the hell, people, is one EVER supposed to work again when some jerkwad employer can blacklist you?

There are also many lawsuits that have been filed against companies and agencies who stupidly still have this designation. The old school district where I was illegally fired has at least two lawsuits pending against it regarding the "do not rehire" designation. In both of these cases, it involved people who were sacked or retired and wanted to be able to apply for or work as a substitute for that district.

Regarding the bolded: Then they are the first ones to yell about all those on welfare. If one is being blacklisted in this manner, what the heck else are they supposed to do?

I agree 100% with your post. It takes a pretty sh*tty individual that would try and block another person from earning a living.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:05 AM

10 posts, read 8,267 times
Exact legalities probably vary from state to state, but in general it's not illegal to give a bad reference. taht's the whole point of someone calling to verify if you were a good employee or not. I guess one way to avoid this is to simply leave that employer off of your resume.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlguy View Post
"Not eligible for rehiring" is the legal answer that many employers provide since saying too much information could lead to defamation lawsuits. If you have doubts about what a former employer might be saying about you, just call them and ask if they would rehire you OR if they are willing to provide a reference.

It is also legal for employers to decline giving a reference. What is illegal is to defame. Depending on the answer you will know if it is good or bad to include this employer as a reference.

"Do not rehire" is defamation in and of itself. NO employer should be giving that out to another employer. It is a form of blacklisting.

No employer has to say anything for a person to be screened out. The "DNR" tells another employer you were a bad employee, which may or may not be true given the fact many employers break the law and kick people out in a CYA effort.

Supposedly according to the law, an employer can say anything in a reference "as long as it is truthful." That doesn't mean squat, for "as long as it is truthful" may be a subject of debate and legally actionable. It's basically a meaningless phrase. It doesn't clear an employer of liability.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroccoliMan View Post
Exact legalities probably vary from state to state, but in general it's not illegal to give a bad reference. taht's the whole point of someone calling to verify if you were a good employee or not. I guess one way to avoid this is to simply leave that employer off of your resume.
An employer would be foolish to give a bad reference.

Some of us, especially in the field of education, can't leave a previous education employer off.

Last edited by tonysam; 05-06-2014 at 10:18 AM..

Old 05-06-2014, 01:46 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
An employer would be foolish to give a bad reference.

Some of us, especially in the field of education, can't leave a previous education employer off.

So you think an employer has no right to be honest when asked about a prospective employee? If your neighbor hired a plumber and he was a terrible plumber wouldn't you like to know so you don't hire him?

If a person was a bad employee, stole, started problems, gossiped, or was annoying to be around maybe they should be blacklisted.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:07 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
In 1993 I was fired from a job. In the words of my boss, "you do a great job, when you are here. The problem is you are never here." It was during my party days and I frequently called in sick on Mondays or Fridays, and took long lunches with abandon.

When he fired me, he said that I was welcome to use him as a reference and that he'd sing my praises - unless they asked about my attendance. He said that if they asked about attendance, he'd have to be honest with them.

Believe it or not, I used him many times as a reference for future jobs. I appreciated his honesty. And I never lost out on a job, so I don't believe he was ever asked about my attendance.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:15 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

If a person was a bad employee, stole, started problems, gossiped, or was annoying to be around maybe they should be blacklisted.

Yes, but that information is subjective and how is the potential employer going to know if that person is telling the truth? There are cases of people thinking that they have left on good terms and then comes to find out that their former employer is giving out a subjective bad reference that may or may not be true.

I guess you feel okay keeping these people up on welfare then since you prefer someone to be blacklisted.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:32 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
So you think an employer has no right to be honest when asked about a prospective employee? If your neighbor hired a plumber and he was a terrible plumber wouldn't you like to know so you don't hire him?

I bet many of those who are against so called "bad references" by employers probably have no problem leaving bad reviews about restaurants, or low stars for a hotel, or bad feedback on their customer survey comments..... I bet they even get upset if they read only glowing reviews and had a bad experience. Employees need to get over this already because the courts are ruling and the majority of the opinions are not in the employee's favor.

As an employer, I will provide all pertinent information requested on a former employee including their reviews, accomplishments and failures. I will tell the potential new employer that the person excelled at their job but was a complaining whiner who was always one heartbeat away from a self-induced heart attack that sometimes seriously interferes with other employee ability to work and client impression of the company. That’s why we had to terminate the person’s employment and will not rehire them.

I have never been sued and if I were, I would win because I give only fair, balanced and truthful statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search