Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:46 AM

58 posts, read 322,242 times

Advertisements

I don't think I'll be invited to interviews any time soon, but assuming that the miracle happens, I don't want to have to scramble to the store to buy a proper outfit.

In the case of a man, should he wear a plain color tie, white shirt and navy blue suit/pants? And does it have to be a designer suit or is something humble acceptable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 11:49 AM

379 posts, read 1,401,157 times
How many new threads can you possibly start in the span of 48 hours that ask something rather rhetorical or non-sensical?

Old 11-25-2010, 12:39 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
How many new threads can you possibly start in the span of 48 hours that ask something rather rhetorical or non-sensical?
Agree. The OP should spend more time job hunting and less time wasting other peoples patience. If this is his personality I would guess his employer was more than happy to find a reason to lay him off.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:54 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
yes you should and you already knew that

quit clogging the board with nonsense. there should be a rule about how many new threads you can create in a 24 hour period. I suspect you will be gone once the mods have finished with dinner.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:37 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFestus View Post
I don't think I'll be invited to interviews any time soon, but assuming that the miracle happens, I don't want to have to scramble to the store to buy a proper outfit.

In the case of a man, should he wear a plain color tie, white shirt and navy blue suit/pants? And does it have to be a designer suit or is something humble acceptable?
Yes, though the tie doesn't have to be plain and boring but you don't want it too flashy. Stripes, geometry.

Look at what the President of the US wears (though read might be too intense) and wear that.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:42 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
A blue collar job?

That's exactly what I hire for... and I look for guys in Carhartts or the "lumberjack" look. You come in wearing anything resembling a suit and I'd honestly be surprised and a bit thrown off. It doesn't mean I wouldn't hire you... but I'd be a little shocked.

You get dirty working blue collar, I want to see that you don't mind getting dirty. BUT I think it entirely depends on the employer. When my husband was interviewing for the company he works with (Schlumberger) they did several rounds of interviews. The very first interview he went in suit pants with a blue shirt and a tie, the guy told him for the rest of the interviews to dress like someone who's already working in the field. He's been with the company for just under 3 years now.

I'd base how I went in for an interview off of what you see the company doing. Around here most people going for interviews probably don't even own slacks or a tie, but they're getting the blue collar jobs because they look like they can handle it.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
A blue collar job?

That's exactly what I hire for... and I look for guys in Carhartts or the "lumberjack" look. You come in wearing anything resembling a suit and I'd honestly be surprised and a bit thrown off. It doesn't mean I wouldn't hire you... but I'd be a little shocked.

You get dirty working blue collar, I want to see that you don't mind getting dirty. BUT I think it entirely depends on the employer. When my husband was interviewing for the company he works with (Schlumberger) they did several rounds of interviews. The very first interview he went in suit pants with a blue shirt and a tie, the guy told him for the rest of the interviews to dress like someone who's already working in the field. He's been with the company for just under 3 years now.

I'd base how I went in for an interview off of what you see the company doing. Around here most people going for interviews probably don't even own slacks or a tie, but they're getting the blue collar jobs because they look like they can handle it.
Disagree, unless you're hiring day laborers. If you're hiring for long term permanent positions it shows the candidate is making an effort to make a good appearance. People like that tend to take jobs and showing up on time more seriously.

Someone who shows up looking like they already have the job could be a sign of laziness. Dressing up shows some effort, I don't care what the dress code for the job is. They don't have the job yet.

At the very least you wear a pair of slacks and a shirt with a collar.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:29 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Disagree, unless you're hiring day laborers. If you're hiring for long term permanent positions it shows the candidate is making an effort to make a good appearance. People like that tend to take jobs and showing up on time more seriously.

Someone who shows up looking like they already have the job could be a sign of laziness. Dressing up shows some effort, I don't care what the dress code for the job is. They don't have the job yet.

At the very least you wear a pair of slacks and a shirt with a collar.
I only have one temporary position and it's clerical. The rest are permanent full time positions working in oil field related industries. (Everything from pipe inspectors to service techs to equipment operators to warehouse to welders to... well you get the point.)

All the work up here is oil related, I work with over 20 different companies hiring all different types of blue collar work and I've honestly never had someone go on an interview for one of these positions in anything resembling business dress.

Honestly, you'd probably feel kind of silly if you showed up in business dress at an interview considering most of the supervisors are in coveralls or jeans and a tee. I don't even think I've seen any of the people who interview for these positions in a shirt with a collar or slacks.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:47 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,639 times
I have worked blue color and white color jobs. I always felt kinda odd going to an interview dressed in a suit for a blue color job. I always think dress a few level above what the job is. If your working in jeans and a tshirt and work boots I would think a nice pair of kalkis and a button up shirt would be good. In this market why not try to impress though I guess.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I wouldn't suggest a suit. A button down shirt, no tie, perhaps khaki pants. Doesn't have to be a white shirt either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search