Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:02 PM

470 posts, read 1,036,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with that email
Well of course the token recruiter on this forum would wonder that wouldn't he. I'm baiting their HR. When I first graduated college several years ago and wanting to work immediately I had an employer admittedly not hire me because I was in the Reserves. Not wanting to get themselves in a fight they couldn't win and most likely would go down ugly for them, they agreed to hire me to avoid trouble and I moved on once I found something better. I actually performed quite well there too. I'll do the same here if I'm able.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 09:11 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with that email
I agree, TVSG!!!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
I interviewed the other day for a bank teller position for a fairly large bank. My first impressions were from what planet do they hire HR people these days? I'm 100% certain the girl who called me to do the interview didn't even read my resume as she asked me to recap my experience for her.

Now I don't want to give the impression that I am above or beyond any position but after recapping my experience and education how am I supposed to answer the question, "Why are you the best candidate for this position?" My knee jerk response would be to say because I'm not a mouth breathing booger eater like most bank tellers I encounter when I'm on the customer side of the counter. She asked a lot of other canned questions that I feel could have been avoided asking if she had just taken the time to read my resume and application that I took the time to fill out and send in.

I have well scripted responses to the canned questions if they come up in interview when I'm applying for jobs that are in my field i.e.......sales management, marketing management, e-commerce, e-mail marketing. How on earth do you answer the canned questions for a job that you are obviously over-qualified for?
Unfortunately, you come across here as someone who considers working as a teller somewhat beneath you. Alot of these canned questions are asked to see if you can answer the questions in the same manner that you indicated on your resume. As far as serving in the army reserves, what does that have to do with skillfully managing a teller's job? TVSG is not an HR person, he is a career counsellor.

Based on what you have said, and the hiring I have done; I would not hire you. Maybe you are just having a bad moment which is okay but I think your statement about "booger eater like tellers" says alot about what you think about people. Suck it back sweetie, and keep looking for another job.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
You sound like a trouble maker to me and I would not hire you either....

Old 12-03-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Unfortunately, you come across here as someone who considers working as a teller somewhat beneath you. Alot of these canned questions are asked to see if you can answer the questions in the same manner that you indicated on your resume. As far as serving in the army reserves, what does that have to do with skillfully managing a teller's job? TVSG is not an HR person, he is a career counsellor.

Based on what you have said, and the hiring I have done; I would not hire you. Maybe you are just having a bad moment which is okay but I think your statement about "booger eater like tellers" says alot about what you think about people. Suck it back sweetie, and keep looking for another job.
A teller's position is beneath the skill sets I have. I have had other professional positions like Sales and Business Development Manager, and a few professional sales jobs. I know you don't understand the Army because you haven't served. Hit me back when you have been in charge of 25 million in assets, the planning and executing of complex operations in a combat zone, and being in charge of over 200 people's livelihood. Forgive me if I think taking deposits and trying to upsell people to other checking services and credit cards is a bit mundane.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
TVSG is not an HR person, he is a career counsellor.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You sound like a trouble maker to me and I would not hire you either....
Trouble maker as in, forcing an employer to comply with federal laws that are in place to protect those that protect them. Try again.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
A teller's position is beneath the skill sets I have. I have had other professional positions like Sales and Business Development Manager, and a few professional sales jobs. I know you don't understand the Army because you haven't served. Hit me back when you have been in charge of 25 million in assets, the planning and executing of complex operations in a combat zone, and being in charge of over 200 people's livelihood. Forgive me if I think taking deposits and trying to upsell people to other checking services and credit cards is a bit mundane.
I understand your anger. The economy sucks. Many people are applying for, and taking positions they wouldn't have dreamed of considering a couple of years ago. I've been in your position, and I honestly believe some HR people are intimidated by applicants with high skill levels. I am working on another degree, and being interviewed by people who are half my age. Do I think I know more, sometimes yes..but it's not something I try to portray in an interview. I prefer to come across as some who is competent, friendly and a teamplayer. (Even though I am not really into that rah-rah teamplayer stuff).

You are right I haven't served in the army. You are not applying for an army related job....IMHO you come across as arrogant and deserving of whatever it is, you think you should get. Many organizations still promote from within...and if there are capable people who can fill upper management roles, than I think that is great corporate responsibility. The private business sector is very different than the military which has its own unique style of promoting people.

Just curious, with your skill set why are you applying for jobs you consider beneath you? If you come into a work environment with an attitude of "I've done more, and I know more", you are usually not considered as someone who may be a good organizational fit. Just sayin'

Old 12-03-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I understand your anger. The economy sucks. Many people are applying for, and taking positions they wouldn't have dreamed of considering a couple of years ago. I've been in your position, and I honestly believe some HR people are intimidated by applicants with high skill levels. I am working on another degree, and being interviewed by people who are half my age. Do I think I know more, sometimes yes..but it's not something I try to portray in an interview. I prefer to come across as some who is competent, friendly and a teamplayer. (Even though I am not really into that rah-rah teamplayer stuff).

You are right I haven't served in the army. You are not applying for an army related job....IMHO you come across as arrogant and deserving of whatever it is, you think you should get. Many organizations still promote from within...and if there are capable people who can fill upper management roles, than I think that is great corporate responsibility. The private business sector is very different than the military which has its own unique style of promoting people.

Just curious, with your skill set why are you applying for jobs you consider beneath you? If you come into a work environment with an attitude of "I've done more, and I know more", you are usually not considered as someone who may be a good organizational fit. Just sayin'
I don't come into them with that attitude. I learned from the Army you have to be a good follower to be a good leader. Maybe I should have said from the get go in the original post that the person doing the phone interview with me expressed concerns about me being able to do meet schedule requirements due to my commitment in the Reserves. I, obviously a little agitated, stated that it didn't matter. She stated, well yes it actually does, and I responded with, not according to federal laws emplaced to protect Reservists/Guardsman from work place discrimination. Her only response was to say she wasn't aware of how the Guard/Reserves worked. I don't think she needs to know the ins and outs of the non-career uniformed services, but considering we have been a country at war for nine years you would think employers might at least have some familiarity with USERRA.

I will agree definitely that the private sector doesn't necessarily clearly define what it takes to get promoted. In my last position I found I was able to constructively advise my employer on how to handle problems without overstepping my position or coming across as arrogant to someone who hasn't had the leadership training and experience that I have had. That's one of the big reasons that I left, because I was passed up for an internal promotion even though I had contributed quite a bit to the growth of the organization and implemented a lot of the positive changes going on there. That's neither here, nor there though. The point of this post is how to answer the canned questions when you are vastly over-qualified and land your job that is meant to be your stepping stool.

The only reason I'm applying for menial jobs is because for whatever reason, you have to have a job in order to get a job. I was selling cars when I got a job as a Sales and Business Development Manger for a professional organization.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:41 AM

I do understand the "needing a job to get a job" part--which is really crap and totally sucks for people who are unemployed to be in this position. I hope you find something that works for you.. I have encountered some really young HR folks, who don't get the fact that I left a senior management position to return to school fulltime. It was either that, or lose my sanity trying to do both. In my field, there were no p/t senior management positions. I decided to look for employment in a completely unrelated field (I also have a background as a paralegal), just to get away from the the "why would you step down mentality?". For the moment, it's working for me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search