U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 06:09 PM

470 posts, read 944,847 times

Advertisements

I interviewed the other day for a bank teller position for a fairly large bank. My first impressions were from what planet do they hire HR people these days? I'm 100% certain the girl who called me to do the interview didn't even read my resume as she asked me to recap my experience for her.

Now I don't want to give the impression that I am above or beyond any position but after recapping my experience and education how am I supposed to answer the question, "Why are you the best candidate for this position?" My knee jerk response would be to say because I'm not a mouth breathing booger eater like most bank tellers I encounter when I'm on the customer side of the counter. She asked a lot of other canned questions that I feel could have been avoided asking if she had just taken the time to read my resume and application that I took the time to fill out and send in.

I have well scripted responses to the canned questions if they come up in interview when I'm applying for jobs that are in my field i.e.......sales management, marketing management, e-commerce, e-mail marketing. How on earth do you answer the canned questions for a job that you are obviously over-qualified for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 06:13 PM
FBJ

39,614 posts, read 51,123,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
I interviewed the other day for a bank teller position for a fairly large bank. My first impressions were from what planet do they hire HR people these days? I'm 100% certain the girl who called me to do the interview didn't even read my resume as she asked me to recap my experience for her.

Now I don't want to give the impression that I am above or beyond any position but after recapping my experience and education how am I supposed to answer the question, "Why are you the best candidate for this position?" My knee jerk response would be to say because I'm not a mouth breathing booger eater like most bank tellers I encounter when I'm on the customer side of the counter. She asked a lot of other canned questions that I feel could have been avoided asking if she had just taken the time to read my resume and application that I took the time to fill out and send in.

I have well scripted responses to the canned questions if they come up in interview when I'm applying for jobs that are in my field i.e.......sales management, marketing management, e-commerce, e-mail marketing. How on earth do you answer the canned questions for a job that you are obviously over-qualified for?
YOU are supposed to be the extended version of your resume. So whether they have the resume or not they still want you to briefly summarize why you are the best person for the job.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:22 PM

7,490 posts, read 6,581,450 times
Quote:
How on earth do you answer the canned questions for a job that you are obviously over-qualified for?
With respect and sincerity.

Your tone comes across presumptuous; I suspect you don't mean to, but if you are feeling what you wrote in your post that will come across no matter what you answer.

Skip the canned responses.

Regardless of whether the questions are canned, or not, if you truly want the job, give it and the interviewer the respect both deserve. If you're just interviewing to continue your unemployment dole, then continue as you are demonstrating here.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
With respect and sincerity.

Your tone comes across presumptuous; I suspect you don't mean to, but if you are feeling what you wrote in your post that will come across no matter what you answer.

Skip the canned responses.

Regardless of whether the questions are canned, or not, if you truly want the job, give it and the interviewer the respect both deserve. If you're just interviewing to continue your unemployment dole, then continue as you are demonstrating here.

I'm not receiving UI.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:45 PM

24,193 posts, read 34,129,572 times
Quote:

As another guy trying to get a teller job in Louisville. I usually stick to one or two examples that would really sound catered to the job. I find a lot of the questions answerable with my resume and references but I want the job so I have no choice but to comply.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:55 PM

I think a scripted response for menial jobs might be a good idea to come up with, especially since those are what are available for the most part right now. I've got to think of a way to answer why I'm the best candidate without sounding back-handed, which is very, very hard for me to do.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:22 AM

And I didn't get that job, wow. I don't know if it's depressing or laughable that with my background, experiences, and education that I couldn't get a job as a bank teller. I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from doing anything. I'd tell myself to quit high school, get my GED, and then bounce from crap job to crap job, so when the recession hits you will be employed because you are exactly what employers want for their low end jobs that they have to have filled.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:31 PM

10 posts, read 40,923 times
Default I Feel For You

Quote:
And I didn't get that job, wow. I don't know if it's depressing or laughable that with my background, experiences, and education that I couldn't get a job as a bank teller. I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from doing anything. I'd tell myself to quit high school, get my GED, and then bounce from crap job to crap job, so when the recession hits you will be employed because you are exactly what employers want for their low end jobs that they have to have filled.
If I could do it all over I would have stayed at Arby's. I would have been in management now. But oh no, I believed all the BS about getting an "education" and a "career." Ha, ha, ha. Crapola, all crapola.

Now I can't get a job at Arby's because I haven't worked in fast food for twenty years.

As for your original question. I have no clue how you can answer the question "why do you want this job" for positions for which you are overqualified. At this point I say "because I need a job." That's the complete honest truth. There was a time when employers appreciated the truth and would hire people who admitted to needing a job. Now such unemployed people are considered desperate parasites who are uppity to the employed "real" people.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:46 PM

Default Here is the e-mail I just sent

Just to memoralize my conversation today, December 2, 2010, with someone in your human resources department. I have applied for a bank teller position at Woodforest three times now. I have been denied employment all three times. The third time I applied I took everything about my military service off my resume and got at least a phone interview. The recruiter who interviewed me seemed very concerned about my ability to be able to meet the requirements of the work schedule because of my Reserve commitment. I can only assume that I was not hired because of my commitment to the US Army Reserves. I would say with my education and previous experience I am more than qualified to be just a bank teller. I look forward to your response.

I'm hoping my pointed accusation will at least get a response from them.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:17 PM
FBJ

39,614 posts, read 51,123,857 times
Quote:
Just to memoralize my conversation today, December 2, 2010, with someone in your human resources department. I have applied for a bank teller position at Woodforest three times now. I have been denied employment all three times. The third time I applied I took everything about my military service off my resume and got at least a phone interview. The recruiter who interviewed me seemed very concerned about my ability to be able to meet the requirements of the work schedule because of my Reserve commitment. I can only assume that I was not hired because of my commitment to the US Army Reserves. I would say with my education and previous experience I am more than qualified to be just a bank teller. I look forward to your response.

I'm hoping my pointed accusation will at least get a response from them.

I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with that email
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or