Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:21 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,745,829 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering something, since it has bugged me for a while... when applying for a job where they simply request "email resume as attachment," what else do you include? Meaning, do you just attach a resume and write in the body "Dear Hiring Manager, I have attached a resume for your consideration in regards to the xxx position. I look forward to hearing from you, yadda yadda." Or do you type a full cover letter into the body?

FYI, I'm mostly applying for educational-type jobs... librarian, senior library assistant, tutor/teacher, program manager, youth literacy, etc. So these are professional jobs where they expect good writing, and that's not a problem for me - just curious as to what they WANT, since I don't like to overdo OR "under-do" it (if you know what I mean). Any tips or comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 03:34 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,948,234 times
I also have been applying to public and non-profit type jobs and have emailed many resumes during my search. When emailing my resume, I usually do a brief cover letter within the body of the email itself along with my contact info (unless they specifically are asking for an attached cover letter). Make sure you indicate that the resume is attached and what file format the resume is in (Word, PDF, etc). Try to format the email like a cover letter but keep it brief. If a more detailed cover letter is needed, I would just attach that along with the resume. Hope this helps.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:50 AM

Yes, that does help... thanks!

Old 12-04-2010, 07:37 AM

516 posts, read 1,347,496 times
Most companies I've applied for ask for the cover letter and resume in the body of the e-mail. They don't want attachments.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyEF View Post
Most companies I've applied for ask for the cover letter and resume in the body of the e-mail. They don't want attachments.
They all request things differently, which is why I'm curious as to the common protocol... specifically for when they request resumes as an attachment, which leaves the body of your email blank. Communication (email, text, fax, PDFs, etc, etc) can get complicated these days, huh?!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
They all request things differently, which is why I'm curious as to the common protocol... specifically for when they request resumes as an attachment, which leaves the body of your email blank. Communication (email, text, fax, PDFs, etc, etc) can get complicated these days, huh?!
Yes, to be honest, I never sent my cover letter and resume as an attachment, it's always in the body of the e-mail. It's just easier for the hiring manager/HR personnel to open and view them. I've sent out hundreds that way.

But if you have to, send your resume as a PDF file, it's safer that way; and put your cover letter in the body of the e-mail so it's not left blank(tweek it a little to kind of personalize it for the specific company you're sending it to.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:06 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,961,601 times
I send both the resume and cover letter as attachments.

The subject of the email is usually something like "Finance Job X12345", and in the body of the email I include a very, very brief message. Something along the lines of:

Dear X.

I am interested in job X, and have attached a cover letter and resume for your consideration. Please do not hesitate to contact me.

This is a bit redundant if you include the same info with your cover letter, but avoids that awkward blank email message.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I send both the resume and cover letter as attachments.

The subject of the email is usually something like "Finance Job X12345", and in the body of the email I include a very, very brief message. Something along the lines of:

Dear X.

I am interested in job X, and have attached a cover letter and resume for your consideration. Please do not hesitate to contact me.

This is a bit redundant if you include the same info with your cover letter, but avoids that awkward blank email message.
Yes, that's good. When I send out my cover letter and resume (in the body of the e-mail), I put on the subject line "position and job ID# (if any)."

Old 12-04-2010, 11:39 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,224,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I was just wondering something, since it has bugged me for a while... when applying for a job where they simply request "email resume as attachment," what else do you include? Meaning, do you just attach a resume and write in the body "Dear Hiring Manager, I have attached a resume for your consideration in regards to the xxx position. I look forward to hearing from you, yadda yadda." Or do you type a full cover letter into the body?

FYI, I'm mostly applying for educational-type jobs... librarian, senior library assistant, tutor/teacher, program manager, youth literacy, etc. So these are professional jobs where they expect good writing, and that's not a problem for me - just curious as to what they WANT, since I don't like to overdo OR "under-do" it (if you know what I mean). Any tips or comments?
Always write a full cover letter in the body of your email. It's also a good idea to include the text of your resume after your signature, on the off-chance that the receiver's security settings strip out attachments. Yes, they might be telling you to send it as an attachment, but still. Stranger things have happened. It's a pain to have to create a text-only version without the fancy formatting to paste in, but it's worth it.

Also, use the simplest font possible. When I pitch to clients (which is pretty much the same thing as applying for job, only freelancing) I try a test run and send it to myself first. Sometimes cutting and pasting a cover letter from a Word document will give you bizarre formatting in the email text box that you can't see while you are composing, but that looks ridiculous to the recipient--especially if you then decide to edit your letter. You may think everything morphed into Times Roman, but then when you type in a few extra words, they show up as Arial. Strange characters can gank things up, too. I was a stickler for the accent marks in the word "resume," but when I pasted that into the text box, it wouldn't adapt to the email font even though I tried to get it to conform. Besides, it's always easiest to read a san-serif font like Arial or Helvetica on a computer screen.

And ye gods, no crazy colors or flashing sigs. Plain black. Big joke in publishing is, "Ye shall know greenies by their fonts."

Not for nothing, but avoid using webmail programs like AOL, Yahoo, and Hotmail. They are all notorious spam-generators, and academia in particular is known for blocking them entirely. I can think of several prominent universities that require recipients to go in and manually allow either the domain or the whole address because the default for the entire system is either "block" or "send to spam folder." I've had problems with cable like Optimum, Comcast, and Cox, but 90% of the time those work.

As far as I know, Gmail seems to be okay, though. (Maybe resistance to the Google Borg is futile.) And of course if you have your own domain, that would be ideal, as long as the name sounds professional.

Last edited by Yzette; 12-04-2010 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: Fonts!

Old 12-04-2010, 03:32 PM

44,258 posts, read 19,921,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I also have been applying to public and non-profit type jobs and have emailed many resumes during my search. When emailing my resume, I usually do a brief cover letter within the body of the email itself along with my contact info (unless they specifically are asking for an attached cover letter). Make sure you indicate that the resume is attached and what file format the resume is in (Word, PDF, etc). Try to format the email like a cover letter but keep it brief. If a more detailed cover letter is needed, I would just attach that along with the resume. Hope this helps.
This is exactly what I did when I was looking.

I tailored my writing to the specific position. Some required only a very brief cover; some called for more. I always did some homework about the company and included a brief blurb stating why I would like to be associated with that particular company (or organization.)

I know two people who are recruiters for huge companies in Chicago, and both say they don't like to receive lengthy cover letters with resumes. Not enough time to read them all. But they expect something that indicates the writer understands the position s/he is applying for and knows at least a little about the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search