Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:00 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times

Advertisements

The sad thing is that the so-called "skilled jobs" don't pay much more than minimum wage. Months back, I applied for a legal secretarial position, where they were seeking legal experience and microsoft word, and that paid MINIMUM WAGE. I had ten years experience in the field, but they would not consider paying me more than possibly $7.75 or $8.00. (I found out later from a friend at the Courthouse that that particular attorney was a tight fisted jerk to work for and had a high turnover). Job seekers are so desperate, employers know it, and are using it as an opportunity to be miserly. So, I'm making $8.50 an hour now working at a local high school cafeteria (where I do not have wardrobe or commuting expenses). Clerical jobs around around here pay at the most $8.00 an hour, or $9.00 to $9.50 if you want to commute 45 minutes to an hour to the nearest "city". I don't care if the job is menial, why put up with all that stress for less money, not to mention having to dress up every day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 08:52 AM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I have to make a few adjustments...

EMPLOYEE WANTED DURING THE RECESSION:
Full time
Must have *at least 3-5 years of experience *in related field
*Must be proficient in every computer software known to man & alien
Must have excellent credit score
Must have 4 year degree *in related field from a regionally accredited brick & mortar school
*Must be certified in everything that exists
Must provide salary history & salary required
Must not have any gaps in employment
Must pass background check
Must not have stupid friends drinking beer on your facebook page
Some travel required
*1099 position
*Temporary 6-Month Position
Compensation: as little as humanly possible
LOL... I saw a Craigslist post for something very similar to this one (minus the facebook page insert) and they wanted applicants to forward their references w/contact info AND certifications... I believe that this was a staffing agency because they typically use your references to build their client base.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:08 AM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Good luck with self employment. If I had the money, I would start up my own business, in a heartbeat. But I don't, so I'm stuck depending on employers, for my livelihood.

I got laid off without warning, from a company that always praised me to the skies. So I didn't expect to be laid off. The company owner, is a colossal cheap skate. So I was underpaid, and couldn't save any money.

So now I'm depending on UI benefits, as my only source of income. I'm in my early 50s, African American, and female. I'm also aoverweight (due to genetics, which I've tried to correct with no success), so I'm not young and beautiful. I have no family to fall back on, and my friends are all too poor themselves, to help me financially.

For the above reasons, I'm not a prime choice for these choosy employers out there. Even though I'm well educated, and have 15 years experience in my field (marketing). I think that having my own business would be the best thing for me too, if I could only get the funding to get started.
Well, it's appears that the only way to even get a good lead is to repetitively attend networking events and really hit the pavement going into establishments and leaving resumes AND following up. I learned this from sales and staffing agencies and it works for me. There are so many advantages to self-employment but again it depends on what you know(research and trends of your industry), who you know (networking and cold-calling), and if you are not afraid to do cold calling then it doesn't hurt to use this approach.

Even in this economy people are quitting their jobs for various reasons. Who knows, perhaps when you call a company, their office manager may have just quit and they want to interview you? I have to think this way and maintain optimism at all costs. Otherwise, things could be discouraging and gloomy very quick.

Actually employers can tell in an interview if you are frustrated, going through the motions, desperate and even optimistic. I had an employer smiling and laughing so hard during my last interview, she actually told me that the interview was "refreshing". She couldn't help but offer me the position. It's just a job to help make ends meet and put a little away in savings. I am still seeking out better jobs everyday.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:47 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
so so true

Old 02-04-2011, 06:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Since the great recession, employers have been ridiculously picky in their hiring practices. It's been an employers market for so long now. So, will job candidates have to endure this exessive pickiness by employers as the new normal, even after the economy improves?
There's no way it will remain the new normal because employers become desperate when unemployment rates go down.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:45 PM

100 posts, read 291,643 times
It is puzzling when those of us seeking another/a new job around here discuss employer requirements.
Here is a funny one: My daughter's bf went to an interview (for a p/t job serving cups of juice) this week. (She has 3.5 years progressive experience in food service.)
She reported the activities, and told me it wasn't a real interview yet, just 5 candidates answering questions about themselves, what they do, what they like. At the end the interviewer taught them a little jingle praising the company, and they all did a cheer together. She is waiting to hear if she gets a second interview.

What the heck is this? A cheer?
ARGH.
Just give me the 32 dollars a day, or not, and let me outta here ! lol

Old 02-06-2011, 04:30 AM

372 posts, read 521,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Federal govt too. They have (or used to supposedly they just abolished them) what are called KSA's.
Yea, I spent an entire week writing a KSA for a Triage position (I have years of related experience) at a local VA Clinic...and it took them only two days to generate a letter with the following canned response:

"Out of the area of consideration".

Why didn't they just say "Not Qualified" instead and tell the truth...like they expect us to do?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I only considered applying for federal jobs about 10 years ago-- and I remember reading through all of the KSA and the requirements to just be able to submit a job application-- and I decided-- yeah not worth my time.
Writing a KSA is equivalent to writing a thesis...as you have to be able to defend every single qualification addressed on the job announcement. I honestly thought I had aced it. I was wrong...as I have been about so many other things, since I was laid off almost two years ago.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post

EMPLOYEE WANTED DURING THE RECESSION:
Full time
Must have 3-5 years of experience
Must have excellent credit score
Must have 4 year degree
Must provide salary history & salary required
Must not have any gaps in employment
Must pass background check
Must not have stupid friends drinking beer on your facebook page
Some travel required
1 week vacation after 1 year
Health Insurance/401k after 6 months
Compensation: as little as humanly possible
Add to this:

Don't bother applying if you don't live in the area (A retailer abruptly terminated my online application for this reason, even though I only live an hour away).

Must have more "recent" experience...and it doesn't matter if you have twenty years experience (A potential employer actually told me this, which lends credibility to the suspicion that they don't want anything to do with the long-term unemployed...and regardless of the circumstances).

Old 02-06-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I would not want to deal with todays type of employers.
No. And, some of them have become downright vicious in their attitudes towards and treatment of employees whose only mistake is they were at the wrong place and at the wrong time. Been there, done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search