Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 03:30 PM

409 posts, read 869,506 times

Advertisements

I think they are asking for local only to: a- weed out applicates, if they know they will get a lot of them and b- not have to deal with headaches like you can not start working until you sell your house, relocate, find a job for SO, find a school for the kids, on and on. I know you are single wo kids but the can't have separate rules for those with SO and kids and those wo.

If you are willing to move anyway, you should just pick DC or Boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 04:03 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,475,849 times
It's nice to have options. Look at the unemployment rates of neighboring states that would be considered local, then research unemployment rates in those locations in your chosen field or industry to narrow down the choice yet again.

Map: LA

Unemployment Rate Seasonally adjusted as of November 2010

District of Columbia 9.8
Virginia 6.8
Maryland 7.4

New Hampshire 5.4
Massachusetts 8.2
Rhode Island 11.6

Old 12-26-2010, 04:17 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,319,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb20 View Post
I would rather not mislead potential employers by putting a Boston or Washington, D.C. address on my resume. If I was intent on doing that, I'd take a train to Boston and Washington, D.C., go to the nearest post office, and get a P.O. Box. Employers are going to find out. And if you mislead them about that, they're going to wonder what else you're misleading them on.
We live in a 'net/phone savvy world... no need to fly into another state to secure a mailbox. Others on this forum have posted questions like this before when considering out-of-state relocation & local interviewing & been given the advice to secure a mailbox/address with a local Mailboxes, Etc or company like it. They allow you to use their address & your mailbox # must be listed as Ste/Rm/Office/Apt so that it implies you have a local address... many people with home businesses do this as well as others in your situation. There are plenty of these companies around for about $20/mo+. Google them, check reviews on yelp & once you find one you like, call them to secure a mailbox same day. It's that easy.

Why is it lying? You said you'd gladly relocate if given an offer. You must get an interview first & to do so you need a local address/phone. No company is going to knock on your door or write you a long letter saying they'd like to interview you, so it's doubtful you'll be receiving actual mail at the box & you don't need to worry about missing out on such a letter. You can arrange that the company mail contents of your box every 2-wks, if you like... I'm sure there'll be a small extra fee & I'm sure it will be nothing but junk mail or an "We received your resume" postcard. Companies will no doubt call you for a short phone pre-interview before arranging a date/time in person, but you will be listing your email address, as well, so they have plenty of ways to contact you. Be prepared to fly in on a few days' notice.

The 2nd part of that scenario is to have a local cell phone #. Again, others here have been advised to do it & it can be inexpensive if you use something like Tracfone where you pay per minute. If you can't do that, stop, stay where you are.

If you feel it's cheating & are uncomfortable, as Kodaka said, don't do it & you've answered your own questions regarding long-distance interviewing. My feeling is you're not lying about having skills & experience you've manufactured, like saying you're a doctor when you're a plumber... you're helping yourself secure an interview... if you are offered the job, you will be moving there asap, right?

Quote:
In a perfect world, I could find somebody subletting a room (in Northern New Jersey) that would let me stay on a month-to-month basis.
Seriously, why are you making it more difficult? Why move to NJ if you're looking for a job in Boston/DC & will be moving to either town once you secure one? You'd still need to secure a DC or Boston mailbox to use as a local address... or 2 if you're planning on interviewing in 2 states. At very least, move to Boston or DC... both have multiple daily Amtrak trains which run into the other cities, stopping in NYC, too.

You can certainly find something on a sublet basis, extended stay motel/hotel, temporary roommate situation or best yet, there is a website called CouchSurfing... CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time I've heard good things about it. It may also be a good way for you to meet new people in DC or Boston when flying in to stay for a few days for an interview. If it works out, perhaps that's also a way to get you to the city when you're offered a job... you can stay with someone else (or rotate with several people) 'til you secure an apt. Be proactive, offer the locals a home cooked meal, help with house cleaning, errands or laundry if they'll show you around town, the best areas to rent, etc.

Quote:
Again, the biggest obstacle I'm facing is that employers are only considering local candidates. And if they see a New Jersey address on my resume, my concern is they might toss it in the wastepaper basket...
Sounds as if the biggest obstacle is your apprehension & trying to kill too many birds with one stone... choose 1 place to live/work. Wait 'til you feel comfortable, plan it out as best as you can & don't move to NJ unless you're going to live/work in NJ.

There are jobs to be had in Boston & DC. I'd say choose one city where you'd like to live, don't overwhelm yourself & concentrate on sending resumes to Boston OR DC, not both. If you've never been, both cities have a distinctly different flavor. You may like 1 & not the other. I like DC. You may even utilize couchsurfing just to visit both places for a few days to see if you'd fare well... at least you won't have to pay hotel costs... both cities are very expensive... in the past 8-yrs, I've lived in both.

I've done what you're contemplating many times. I never moved 'til I was h*llbent on making it work. I'm not judging you, I do understand it can be scary. Decide where you want to go, concentrate on how you'll do it (explore all options for living arrangements or if you'll just fly in for interviews) & wait 'til you don't feel so scared... then go.

Lastly, ever consider calling employment agencies/headhunters for advice or to secure interviews & what they would suggest? You could even do temp work for the agency while waiting to find a job. Best of luck to you with your decisions!

Old 12-26-2010, 05:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,518,085 times
What you said in the above post is all well and good, especially about getting a cell phone with a local number.

But the problem becomes logistics, if the OP is in say AZ and they're asked to come in for an interview on the east coast, it could get dicey.

An employer may feel deceived if they do an initial phone interview and then try and schedule an in person interview, only to find out the candidate is actually 2,500 miles away.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:08 PM

Just found this as I was searching around.
Another organization like couchsurfing...
https://www.tripping.com/

Here's what someone wrote about it on a blog: "Overall it is WAY more advanced then couchsurfing and has an entire safety program for members to use. Additionally you can tell that these guys learned a few things along the way with regard to the tech side of things. You can even text message users for free right from the website!!"

Here's the blog, if you have interest:
What You Need To Know About Couchsurfing | The Expeditioner Online Travel Magazine

Old 12-26-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
An employer may feel deceived if they do an initial phone interview and then try and schedule an in person interview, only to find out the candidate is actually 2,500 miles away.
Motivation to get a job helps, use your know how & don't do it if you feel uncomfortable & everything is a "yes, but...". I'd never make a move without knowing for certain I will make it work & an obstacle is just that, a challenge, not a nightmare. I don't think in those terms anyway.

No one needs to say they're any distance away. I've done it... receive call on Monday for interview... they normally are interviewing multiple people on multiple consecutive days... arrange for Wed/Thurs interview... arrange flight/hotel or the couchsurfing links I supplied. Leave Fri open in the event they want a 2nd interview.

Beforehand, if I know I'm moving to XXX, I've already checked out the city, know in which area I'd like to live, have bird's eye viewed the address on my resume (the mailbox address) so that I can answer very basic questions about my apartment/neighborhood... but, they already know I've just relocated, don't expect me to know where everything is & are aware I am interviewing for a job for which I'm qualified. All she'd be doing is answering her phone & booking an appt for an interview for a job. If, if, if... you can if yourself to death.

Do you want a job in another city? Look for it, prepare to have a local address/phone, send out your resume, be prepared to get to the interview (fly then drive/public transit), show up, wow them, be prepared to stay an extra day or 2 if they want you to meet other interviewers, be prepared to move quickly if an offer comes through. Search through the archives here... others have done it. Tell the company you live at the address on your resume. Once hired, you will be living near that address anyway. If you don't want to do it or feel it's hugely dishonest to use a legal local address you've paid for, stay where you are.

The OP just needs to hone down her options & pick one thing imho... if you spread yourself too thin, that's difficult. If you make excuses & are not sure, fine, no judgement, but then find a job where you live now & don't stress yourself out.

Option 2... move to 1 town or the other, not half-way in between. That only reflects ambivilance & you may end up feeling pulled in too many directions, so stay where you are 'til you decide. Choose one thing, stick with it & it will be far easier, faster & less stressful. In our economy, we have to be proactive & think on our feet. The address/phone is irrelevant, again, imho. The work history/education on the resume & the ability to do your new job are prime.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:50 AM

8 posts, read 17,476 times
Thanks for all of your replies. I have read every single one and appreciate the advice.

I'm not just going to be looking for a job in Boston or Washington, D.C. I mentioned these two cities because that's where I'm finding the most job openings. If I do move forward with moving to northern New Jersey, I'd also be looking for work in other nearby cities (i.e. New York, Baltimore, etc.) I just want to work! I don't care where it is!

I definitely plan on doing temporary work to keep me busy until I find something permanent. In fact, I'm doing that now but there's just not enough of it to keep me busy every day or every week (maybe that's a good thing so I'll have time to conduct a thorough search for a permanent job.)

I've been to all of the major cities on the I-95 corridor from Washington to Boston. I even lived in one of them for eight years. Each city is unique in its own way but I've always been flexible in this regard. I would have no problem living in any of these cities.

Please keep your comments coming. I want to hear what everyone has to say. If I do go through with this, I'm going to make it clear on my resume that my relocation would be easy, immediate, and at my own expense (all of which is true.)

I've already found a number of people on roommates.com that will sublet a room on a month-to-month basis. That's good news.

P.S. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, as of October 2010 (the most recent month for which data is available), following are the unemployment rates for the following metropolitan areas:

Boston: 7.0%
New York: 8.4%
Baltimore: 7.4%
Washington: 5.8%

That sure as hell beats cities like Los Angeles, Miami, and Detroit where it's 11.7, 11.8, and 13.3 respectively. Chicago and Atlanta are doing better but even those cities are at 9.0 and 9.7 respectively.

Last edited by mb20; 12-27-2010 at 10:59 AM..

Old 12-27-2010, 11:05 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,457,251 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of your replies. I have read every single one and appreciate the advice.

I'm not just going to be looking for a job in Boston or Washington, D.C. I mentioned these two cities because that's where I'm finding the most job openings. If I do move forward with moving to northern New Jersey, I'd also be looking for work in other nearby cities (i.e. New York, Baltimore, etc.) I just want to work! I don't care where it is!

I definitely plan on doing temporary work to keep me busy until I find something permanent. In fact, I'm doing that now but there's just not enough of it to keep me busy every day or every week (maybe that's a good thing so I'll have time to conduct a thorough search for a permanent job.)

I've been to all of the major cities on the I-95 corridor from Washington to Boston. I even lived in one of them for eight years. Each city is unique in its own way but I've always been flexible in this regard. I would have no problem living in any of these cities.

Please keep your comments coming. I want to hear what everyone has to say. If I do go through with this, I'm going to make it clear on my resume that my relocation would be easy, immediate, and at my own expense (all of which is true.)

I've already found a number of people on roommates.com that will sublet a room on a month-to-month basis. That's good news.

P.S. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, as of October 2010 (the most recent month for which data is available), following are the unemployment rates for the following metropolitan areas:

Boston: 7.0%
New York: 8.4%
Baltimore: 7.4%
Washington: 5.8%

That sure as hell beats cities like Los Angeles, Miami, and Detroit where it's 11.7, 11.8, and 13.3 respectively. Chicago and Atlanta are doing better but even those cities are at 9.0 and 9.7 respectively.

If you get a job in DC especially with the DC traffic, you need to live close to DC like in Bowie, MD or Alexandria, VA not Southern NJ.

I live on the Eastern Shore now which is a 2 hour drive to DC and if I have to, I would go back to DC to work but hopefully I'll find something either closer to home or have my own business.

If you're going to live in Northern NJ, you won't be able to work in Balto, it's just too far in distance and traffic. It would take you over 2 hours to get to work.

Like I said before, if you work in DC, live closer to DC like in VA or MD.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,325 times
Quote:
I live in the southwest and have been unemployed a long time. Since I'm single and have no children, I have nobody or nothing to tie me down.

A lot of job openings I'm finding seem to be in either suburban Washington, D.C. or greater Boston. I'm thinking about moving to northern New Jersey (and find a roommate so I can keep my costs down.) The reason I have northern New Jersey in mind is because it is equidistant from both Boston and Washington, D.C.

In your opinion, do you think Human Resource or hiring managers in either Boston or Washington, D.C. would be willing to interview somebody living in northern New Jersey? A lot of the job openings I'm finding specifically state that the company is only interested in local candidates. We all know somebody living in northern New Jersey isn't local to Boston or Washington, D.C.; however, do you think they'd consider me? Since Boston and Washington D.C. are only a three hour drive from northern New Jersey, driving there, interviewing, and coming back isn't a problem. Neither is relocating.

What do you guys think? I want to avoid making a costly mistake.

Thank you.
Companies usually request "local candidates only" because they will not pay moving and relocation expenses. When you send in your resume or talk with a recruiter, stress that you are NOT seeking relocation reimbursement and can start the job immediately (within a couple of weeks). By doing this, you have a better chance of making it to the interview stage. During the interviews, stress that you are not seeking relocation. Good Luck!

Karol Zerr
Get A Job Free e-book
Career Success 4 You

Old 03-29-2011, 06:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,915,686 times
You are willing to move to either place so just use the bogus address or get a PO Box. If you are asked about it, tell the truth. You are in the process of moving. Moving wherever you get a decent job.....now you don't have to tell them that part!

Moving to Jersey won't really help because you still won't be local for the jobs you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search