Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:04 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Well, after months of unsuccessful job-hunting, I finally got an offer!! I received a call earlier tonight, from the manager of a library I interviewed with a few weeks ago... first she said "we decided not to hire you for the position you interviewed for, BUT we'd like to offer you another position." It's only part-time (like the original job), but unlike the other one it's permanent with benefits - I'm talking medical, dental, vision, retirement, sick/vacation pay, life insurance, even membership to a credit union. This will be a minor step down from my usual position, but includes some really cool duties like managing the bookmobile and supervising para-professional staff. It will require relocating, but only about 90 miles from where I am now... I'll actually be closer to my sister/niece/nephew & best friend, and not much farther from my other friends & family.

Anyway, I'm going to call her back tomorrow with my answer, but at this point I'm planning to accept. Wish me luck, and I also wish the best of luck to everyone who's still searching - I know how tough it is out there, but hopefully good things will happen eventually. Keep up the faith!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 01:53 AM

60 posts, read 107,802 times
congrats on the new job

Old 01-04-2011, 03:09 AM

Thanks! I'm not looking forward to the move, but otherwise very excited about this job.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:34 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
That's awesome!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:08 AM

323 posts, read 940,817 times
Congrats! I've accepted a new position too that I start on the 17th, but I'm going mildly crazy right now waiting to hear back on a better job that I interviewed for recently as well. They spent about $900 to fly me out in person and interview the week before Christmas, and then I received the dreaded auto-rejection letter by email from the address I used to apply via their job website but not from the HR person I had been speaking to. I'm hoping that was just an auto-generated response to everyone that applied because they are close to a final decision. Seems kind of hard to believe that you would go through that expense to interview someone and NOT give them a personal response. I'm hoping that means that they are closing in on a final candidate and I'm in the running. I sent another follow up email yesterday so I'm crossing my fingers that I know one way or another this week.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:42 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
Good for you. Anyone finding a job these days is lucky. Sounds like kind of a fun job and benefits are definitely a big plus.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, after months of unsuccessful job-hunting, I finally got an offer!! I received a call earlier tonight, from the manager of a library I interviewed with a few weeks ago... first she said "we decided not to hire you for the position you interviewed for, BUT we'd like to offer you another position." It's only part-time (like the original job), but unlike the other one it's permanent with benefits - I'm talking medical, dental, vision, retirement, sick/vacation pay, life insurance, even membership to a credit union. This will be a minor step down from my usual position, but includes some really cool duties like managing the bookmobile and supervising para-professional staff. It will require relocating, but only about 90 miles from where I am now... I'll actually be closer to my sister/niece/nephew & best friend, and not much farther from my other friends & family.

Anyway, I'm going to call her back tomorrow with my answer, but at this point I'm planning to accept. Wish me luck, and I also wish the best of luck to everyone who's still searching - I know how tough it is out there, but hopefully good things will happen eventually. Keep up the faith!
This is such wonderful news! I am so excited for you. Congratulations! I wish you well.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Congratulatiosn!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:06 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Congrats Gizmo!!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 AM

Thanks everyone!! I've been up all night thinking about it (and watching some TV, LOL), just working through the details etc... I think best in the middle of the night, hence the reason you'll often see me pecking away in here at odd hours. Definitely happy about this job, and I do feel like a major weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Aaaaaahhhhhhh. Now I've just gotta find a place to live!

But first, off to bed for at least a few hours...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search