U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 09:21 PM

32 posts, read 130,296 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal: I'm in a dead end as far as my career goes in the city that I currently live in. I saw a job with my current employer in another city that I know I would enjoy, however, I have not been able to find out much in the way of potential salary or promotion potential beyond that position.

So my question is, how bad does turning down a job offer with your current employer look? Is there anything I could say or do that would help the situation if I was offered the job but decided against it?

There is a caveat though. If I did turn down the position I would almost certainly do so with the intention of leaving my current company within the year. I know this sounds odd but I have been contemplating a career change for some time. I even returned to school and recently finished my bachelor’s degree in order to prepare for a career change. However, I saw this job today and figured I'd give it a shot. I figured if my employer came back with a pretty decent offer I would reconsider leaving the company and pursuing a career change. I feel as though I could go either way?

Does anyone have any advice or comments about my situation?

Thanks in advance,

mpollo

Last edited by MPOLLO; 01-14-2011 at 09:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 12:27 AM

379 posts, read 1,169,069 times
Have you even been offered the new position in the first place?

Look you said it yourself, you're stuck in a dead end as far as where you are in your current career with your current employer. Can your career with your current employer get any deader if you were offered the position and turned it down in the end? What exactly do you have to lose, your dead end job that you don't feel passionate about?

Old 01-15-2011, 03:26 AM

25,947 posts, read 25,382,976 times
At one time I thought I was at a stalemate and had some issues with my job and talked to my boss about it and he sent me on an interview in anoher state within he company, but after a couple days of careful consideration, I realized I would be entering a situatation with someone who currently existed there as I had taken several years to prove myself and overcome where I was at. It would have been a rerun and very stressful. I had also developed a repoire and great team to work with where I was currently at. I turrned down the position and stayed where I was based on those reason instead of moving across the country. Both my boss and the other Director were fine with this decision.......however.......

The day after I declined the position, all hell broke loose where I was and I totally regretted not taking it and went through three years of torture until I finally left the entire company after investing over 10 years there.

Another consideration was if I had taken the other position they would have paid my moving expenses up to a certain point - but I would have been required to sign a document stating I wouldn't leave their employ for so many years so they basically would recoup thier investment.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:40 PM

16 posts, read 95,832 times
here are my 2 cents:

learn from others, I just posted a similar situation and trust me, in this economy you cannot, you must not reveal your position, otherwise you'll lose. read my post and you'll understand.

It is specially hard when you do not know all the details. whatever you do, stick to your career change and if the company or this opening matches your new career path then why not.

In the late 90's when companies freely gave away lots of perks I remember being thrown lavish dinners and free rental cars and other perks just to get me to go work on IT projects elsewhere. They would even fly my girlfriends to go see me, I mean just a total blast. There were no uncertainties but plain clean transparent offers that gave you no doubts.

My buddy's wife (psychologist) told him that if we have these many doubts about a job then don't do it. My wife on the other hand thinks that even us as adults we struggle with transitions and leaving comfort zones.

in any case, your post says that 'if' you were offered the job; so it is not a fact just yet. I'd then say play your cards right (unlike me in a way) and let things flow and don't force situations (my dad used to say that)

let things flow and let them say the numbers and the facts first, it is their responsibility to disclose everything. ask things such as what the hours will be, if they offer a tour of that location, who you will be working with, etc. The bottom line is to move up, whether pay wise, responsibility wise and even workspace wise.

It is hard like the last poster said, to have to prove yourself all over again, it sux, it really does. in conclusion don't reveal your position so you dont get burned,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or