Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:02 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,714 times

Advertisements

If you don't tell them, it will reflect badly on you as an employee. When I was a manager at my company, the first thing that would happen was when someone applied for a position from within, the manger of the job applied for would call your current manager and ask if he/she knew you applied, why you wanted out of your current job, would he/she reccommend you and would they be willing to let you go. The last question stopped me before I "went nuts" on them to get back to a technical role without the headaches and responsibility or management. If they like/need you it can be the kiss of death on moving out of the job.

I have tried to make a lateral move into another job for the past five years. I do the work of the other job and more now, but I am told I am "not qualified" when I apply for their openings. But...they then hire someone with NO EXPERIENCE to fill the job. Strangely enough i am also the first guy they call for help when they are overwhelmed in the other department.

The last time the boss of the other department called my boss and had me reassigned temporarily I went in and said "gee...I am not qualified for this job, are you sure you want me to help?" and the supervisor flat told me that it was only an excuse not to hire me as HR would not allow her to hire me because it would be detrimental to the department I work in now and that they have too much money invested in my specialized training to let me go. Nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoatpa View Post
If you don't tell them, it will reflect badly on you as an employee. When I was a manager at my company, the first thing that would happen was when someone applied for a position from within, the manger of the job applied for would call your current manager and ask if he/she knew you applied, why you wanted out of your current job, would he/she reccommend you and would they be willing to let you go. The last question stopped me before I "went nuts" on them to get back to a technical role without the headaches and responsibility or management. If they like/need you it can be the kiss of death on moving out of the job.

I have tried to make a lateral move into another job for the past five years. I do the work of the other job and more now, but I am told I am "not qualified" when I apply for their openings. But...they then hire someone with NO EXPERIENCE to fill the job. Strangely enough i am also the first guy they call for help when they are overwhelmed in the other department.

The last time the boss of the other department called my boss and had me reassigned temporarily I went in and said "gee...I am not qualified for this job, are you sure you want me to help?" and the supervisor flat told me that it was only an excuse not to hire me as HR would not allow her to hire me because it would be detrimental to the department I work in now and that they have too much money invested in my specialized training to let me go. Nice.
Have you looked outside your company?

Old 01-21-2011, 08:14 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtaylo24 View Post
The title says it all. They love me in my department, and I am pretty much the "go to" guy. There was an opening for Assistant Manager, but my manager decide to hire someone she worked with in the past outside of the department, rather than myself, who pretty much keeps the department in order. No hard feelings, but there is another opening and the department is located on the same exact floor I work on.

I have outgrown my position, I have had the same position (Customer Service) at a previous bank for about a year and a half and have been in my current position at my current company for a year. I graduated college about 3 years ago, but settled for less because I couldn't really find much in this economy. I am actually wrapping up another undergrad degree in May (Accounting). I really can use the pay increase as I got married this past Summer, and the wife and I are trying to buy our first house. Will my manager find out if I apply? Should I sit down with her first before applying?
Depends on company.

My company you apply internally for the position and HR contacts you to do a phone interview. Everyone gets one of these. They basically are weeding you out to see if you are okay to move forward in the process versus having the hiring manager get every single resume from every single person who applies for the job whether or not they are minimally qualified.

When I got my most recent job, the HR rep stated I did not need to tell my manager until the hiring manager expressed interest in speaking to me. Once that happened-- she advised to tell my manager since it is not out of the norm for manager's to contact other managers for reference, recommendation, etc. Since it is internally-- managers share quite a bit of information with each other outside of what would happen if an external company was calling for a reference.

HR also in my case confirms you are eligible to apply for positions. At my company there is a rule that you must have spent 1 year in a position that you chose (i.e. if the organization promoted you without you applying for a job then that is not a position you are required to stay in for a year) and that your performance rating is not low.

I told my manager as soon as the hiring manager expressed interest in interviewing me. I told my former manager-- as soon as I saw the job posting since I knew she would advocate for me to the new department I am now located in.

My senior leadership did not find out until I had already accepted the job. They are the ones I was most concerned about since they didnt want to lose anymore people and would have tried to make HR make me stay in my old job even though I had been recently promoted as part of a business need.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Spill the beans. I hope you have all of your excellent performance documented. You may not get a stellar rec from your current manager. It's most likely not in his/her best interest to see you promoted and moved to another department. Losing your "go to guy" makes your job harder.....
Depends on your manager.

I was the go to person, ranked the highest out of all employees and managers-- but my director (my manager) supported my desire to move onward to what I thought was my dream job (sometimes it is.. sometimes it is not. ).

You could say it was DEFINITELY not in her best interest to let me go-- but at the end of the day she was professional and human (ie she would not want to be blocked from persuing other opps either)

Old 03-30-2014, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,797 times
It might look very scary at first but I do think you should. In fact, talking to your boss is the first thing to do after deciding to apply. Have a look a this page - full of good information on the mistakes to avoid when applying for a job internally:
How to Apply for an Internal Job - Common Mistakes to Avoid

Old 03-30-2014, 01:55 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtaylo24 View Post
The title says it all. They love me in my department, and I am pretty much the "go to" guy. There was an opening for Assistant Manager, but my manager decide to hire someone she worked with in the past outside of the department, rather than myself, who pretty much keeps the department in order. No hard feelings, but there is another opening and the department is located on the same exact floor I work on.

I have outgrown my position, I have had the same position (Customer Service) at a previous bank for about a year and a half and have been in my current position at my current company for a year. I graduated college about 3 years ago, but settled for less because I couldn't really find much in this economy. I am actually wrapping up another undergrad degree in May (Accounting). I really can use the pay increase as I got married this past Summer, and the wife and I are trying to buy our first house. Will my manager find out if I apply? Should I sit down with her first before applying?
she will find out. I've been in this situation and its a bit difficult so use your best judgement as you know the people involved.

I might send her an email to just let her know that you did decide to throw your application in for an internal opening, as you are still looking to grow with the company and that is the current opening/option right now, though you would love to stay in the current department -- there aren't any current openings there.

she will understand ... it is better for her to hear it from you.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:59 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Apply for the job. Don't tell your boss right now. They will ask him / her at some point for a reccomendation if you are being considered. There is no point in making a big deal about it unless your boss is the type who would get behind you and go try to advocate for you to get the position. Some are like that and if your boss will wage a campaign for you, then that would be good.

I think you are way overthinking this. If it was a big deal to apply for other jobs within the company, then they wouldn't have internal hires. You don't owe your boss anything other than to do you job while you are there. And, it isn't in any way a slight at the boss that you are applying for another job. So, go for it.
I applied for an internal job and word got around to my department head and my manager -- I was questioned about it. I had told my immediate supervisor but not all of my PM's.

They doubted my loyalty to my current projects if I was looking around. Once I explained the situation and my thought processes to my manager things were fine (and I'm still a bit confused about how the department head reacted -- didn't want to send me to a training thinking I would not be there long -- but I didn't get the internal posting. He never talked to me about it, I heard from a pm his reaction).

In the end they were supportive but it did play into their decisions of what work to give me and what trainings to send me to while I was interviewing.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:38 PM

416 posts, read 871,206 times
Depends on company requirements.

My employer requires that you inform your manager that you are posting for another position. The internal application system automatically emails your direct reporting manager as soon as you apply for another position, so even if you don't, they will know as soon as you hit 'submit.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search