Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 PM

625 posts, read 3,627,373 times

Advertisements

It depends on whther I took the day off from work to go to the interview, the location of the interview, and what my plans are for the next day. I think it's rude that she assumed he would come back the following day. Why not tell him to wait for 15 minutes or so while she wrapped things up? Why not excuse herself from her meeting to meet with him for 20 minutes? I think alot of interviewers have gotten so power hungry that they lose all sense of common courtesy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 05:16 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,330,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
by the receptionist-"The interviewer wanted me to let you know she is in a meeting and will not be able to see you today and would you be abloe to return tomorrow?"

Of course my answer was-"probably not" since the interviewer assumed that I had no other options and it also gave off the message that they had the person they wanted.

We have been having this debate at work and I was being made fun of because I decided to leave and not return to the interview the following day.

So how many people on this board whether you had a job or not would have returned to the company the next day after showing up on time for the initial scheduled interview.
I don't think I would. That's pretty inconsiderate of the perspective employer. I don't think I would want to work for a company that treats their people like that.

I would probably tell them, I had to take time off of work to be there for the interview and that I would be unable to take time off again without more notice then that.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:30 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,786,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
It depends on whther I took the day off from work to go to the interview, the location of the interview, and what my plans are for the next day. I think it's rude that she assumed he would come back the following day. Why not tell him to wait for 15 minutes or so while she wrapped things up? Why not excuse herself from her meeting to meet with him for 20 minutes? I think alot of interviewers have gotten so power hungry that they lose all sense of common courtesy.
And that's what I had the problem with the fact that she couldn't come out herself to speak to me and sent the receptionist out there with the message.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:58 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,534,256 times
It depends on the job....

If it was with a company I REALLY wanted to work for, then yes, I would absolutely reschedule. If it were a place I applied for on a whim I would probably say no thank you.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,195,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It depends on the job....

If it was with a company I REALLY wanted to work for, then yes, I would absolutely reschedule. If it were a place I applied for on a whim I would probably say no thank you.
I have only worked at places that I really wanted to work for. Why would you apply at a place you didn't want to work for?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,978,079 times
Depends how much I wanted the job and what my other options were. The only person you would be hurting is yourself anyway.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,509,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I agree, I think manners have gone by the wayside.

You know when someone who is working takes time off from their current job(usually with the Dr.'s appt. excuse), they can't always come back the next day.

When you're out interviewing while your currently employed you can't be to obvious.

It also depends on how far you traveled, and do you now have to come up with another reason for taking time off from work or coming in late.

A good interviewer would do like you said and ask the candidate to wait or manage to step away from the meeting for 20 minutes.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 PM

580 posts, read 2,288,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have only worked at places that I really wanted to work for. Why would you apply at a place you didn't want to work for?
Because you don't have a job, unemployment doesn't last forever, and you are desperate.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:04 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,657,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
I know this doesn't answer your question, but I find it ironic that a company can be so disrespectful to an applicant that they can't even find the time to call you and let you know the interview is canceled.

If you showed that kind of disrespect, you never would be considered for the job.
I have to agree with this. Even calling you 5 minutes in advance of the scheduled time (as you were pulling into the parking lot) would be several steps above having the receptionist tell you this when you walk in the door.

That said, if it truly was an urgent situation - they should have found a way to inform you beforehand - otherwise they should have honored their appointment.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,222,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
by the receptionist-"The interviewer wanted me to let you know she is in a meeting and will not be able to see you today and would you be abloe to return tomorrow?"

Of course my answer was-"probably not" since the interviewer assumed that I had no other options and it also gave off the message that they had the person they wanted.

We have been having this debate at work and I was being made fun of because I decided to leave and not return to the interview the following day.

So how many people on this board whether you had a job or not would have returned to the company the next day after showing up on time for the initial scheduled interview.

Okay, first, TVSG, don't give up your current job--which you said you weren't going to do until September, anyway. If you want to get into communications/PR/marketing/media, it would behoove you to get your grammar under control first. The proper phrasing would be, "If you showed up at AN interview and WERE told..."

Second, you're going to be looking for new work a lot sooner than September if you continue to blather to your coworkers about your job interviews.

Honestly? I don't think you're a career counselor. If you are, I think you are posing your clients' questions here so that you may obtain advice to pass on to them because you, in your underqualification for the job, have none to offer them. Sounds harsh, but there it is.

Last edited by Yzette; 01-26-2011 at 08:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search