Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 06:49 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,773,273 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Though currently employed, I've begun to test out the job market for better career opportunities. My present position at a start-up offers virtually no room for growth; truth be told, I feel my career will stagnate if I stay there much longer.

Upon deciding I was going to pursue new opportunities, I told myself I'd only aim for bigger, more established companies. Granted, the start-up environment offers its fair share of pluses (lack of bureaucracy, etc.), but I really crave the structure that comes with working for one of the big boys.

I was recently called for an interview at yet another start-up in a different industry. The interview process moved at blazing speed, and I wound up getting a verbal offer over the phone last night -- just two days after the initial interview. (The offer will be sent in writing on Monday.)

Here's a list of pros and cons associated with the new position/company:

PROS

1. Salary: They're willing to offer 13K more than I'm making at my current job. (Inflating my current salary obviously helped with that.)

2. Nice people: I hit it off immediately with my would-be boss, not to mention two other guys in senior management.

3. Potential for company to become huge: The company has lofty goals and promises to become a huge player in the industry. (Then again, which company doesn't?)

CONS

1. Start-up environment/lack of structure: This position would be at odds with my motivations for seeking out new opportunities in the first place (wanting to work for a big organization where there is more structure)

2. Uncertainty: Uncertainty is the name of the game when it comes to start-ups. Is this a Fortune 500 company in the making, or will it be bought out when I least expect it?

3. Irregular conditions/hours: This is likely the most glaring red flag. I ended up going in for a follow-up interview on Saturday morning. (They had also proposed that we meet Monday night at 8 p.m.) If this doesn't scream "you'll have to work late hours/on Saturdays," I don't know what does. It's also a well-known fact that my would-be supervisor is a workaholic -- he called to extend a verbal offer in the late evening on Saturday, and that's likely the time he left work.

4. My would-be boss mentioned that it didn't work out for my predecessor. Does this mean he got the axe? I'm not sure. All I know is that he did a great job on some tasks but couldn't hack others. My guess is that they've been super backed up since the guy left.

5. The fact that the interview process has moved along this quickly makes me uneasy. You know what they say: If something seems too good to be true or easy to get, it might be for a reason.
6. The job will require some travel. Traveling for work is something I'm no fan of.

7. As many of you know, the job market is slowly improving. I've seen far more positions being posted over the last month or so than I have in a long time. I really don't want to jump at the first company that comes my way.

So what do you guys think? Should I accept this position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 07:06 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
Take the position and if it doesn't work out keep looking.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:11 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post

1. Salary: They're willing to offer 13K more than I'm making at my current job. (Inflating my current salary obviously helped with that.)
This could be very risky. Some companies will verify salary at your previous employer.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:47 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
If you decide join the new company, how will you feel if you are invited to interview with another company that fits your initial goals? Will you take the interview and perhaps accept an offer when you have only been there a few months? If so, how will you feel about all the adjustment anguish you went thru and also the position you put your new company into with a sudden departure?

Perhaps the reason the offering company suggested non-conventional interview appointments was to help you interview without needing to take time off work.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:51 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
Some of it would depend on how much of increase that $13K represents. For somebody making $35K, that $13K extra is powerful motivation, for someone making $120K, not so much. There are a lot of cons on your list.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:19 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Well first off you lied quite a bit about your current salary. If they have a way(and they do) of verifying your current salary that could be problematic for you.

You have already been given insight into how they work. It doesn't sound like you want to work in that type of environment that requires long hours and weekends(doesn't sound like you're doing that now).

I don't blame you for not wanting to travel, flying is not what it used to be.

If you were unemployed it would be a different story, but it sounds like from what you have listed there are more negatives than positives by making a job switch.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:21 PM

935 posts, read 2,410,952 times
I don't really see how #4 and #5 are cons. I mean, even if it does mean the guy was given the axe, it could have been due to performance issues and not financial issues for the company. As for #5, I was offered my current position right after the interview. The reason was b/c they needed someone to work a.s.a.p. since the owner was working those shifts (imagine working 7 days a week and 2 of those days it was 14 hour work days instead of 7 hours). So, it could mean they needed you.

However, as you mentioned, travel is involved and you're not a fan of traveling. What you need to do is ask yourself if the $13,000 extra and the nice people are worth the cons. The job market does seem to be slowly improving, but another thing to keep in mind is the fact that numerous employees are realizing this and they will probably jump into the pool (in addition to those who are currently unemployed/underemployed). So, another question to ask yourself is can you handle working where you are now for a few more months or even a year or two?

There will be other job offers, but do you want to wait for them? Or do you want to take this job and take the risk of the company not growing into something more promising? Since you have a job you can always wait for a better one to come along. Plus, it would look good on your resume since it shows that you stayed longer with this employer and you didn't play the "job hopping" card. So, I guess if you have the patience then you should wait. If you don't, or if you think the $13,000 and friendly people are worth it, then go for it.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:59 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
Go with your gut. If you're instincts are telling you something's wrong, something probably is.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Also does the 13K bump you up into another tax bracket? That happened to me once and a good portion of the increase went to taxes.

Something else to keep in mind.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Also does the 13K bump you up into another tax bracket? That happened to me once and a good portion of the increase went to taxes.

Something else to keep in mind.
I'm guessing if it does bump up the tax bracket at most it will between 3% and 5%. So only $390 to $650 on federal income taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search