Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 06:52 PM

545 posts, read 1,555,501 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about the behavioural ones. For example:

Quote:
Give me an example of a time when you set a goal and were able to meet or achieve it.
Okay, my first example is not good. I'll just make an example of a random project where I did everything perfectly.

Quote:
Give me a specific example of a time when you had to conform to a policy with which you did not agree.
What if there weren't any policies like that? I didn't mind anything.

There's too much incentive to lie.

Last edited by Malkiel; 02-06-2011 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 06:56 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Unless you are applying for a job as a personal trainer why would you use that story as an example? Sure you met a goal but it's not really a work related story.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:57 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
I'm talking about the behavioural ones. For example:

I can make up a story about how I slowly changed from a 300 pound person to a marathon runner. I can use it to make myself seem disciplined, long-sighted, and determined. Except, it's not true. But how would the employer know?

How is it possible to verify if a person was 300 pounds? How do they know if I ran the marathon?

Also, if my story is boring, I'll never get hired. Even if they can verify after I got the job, it's better to get the job in the first place.

There's too much incentive to lie.
LOL Someday, somewhere the subject is going to come up. Somebody is going to say.... "Malkiel, I'd love to see some photos of you before your miraculous transformation". And you are going to be stuck for an intelligent answer. If you make up another lie, eventually that one will come back to bite you in the butt too.

The best thing to do is be honest. Abraham Lincoln said it best..."No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar."

20yrsiinBranson

Old 02-06-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Unless you are applying for a job as a personal trainer why would you use that story as an example? Sure you met a goal but it's not really a work related story.
I just graduated. I don't have any interesting stories.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
How do employers verify interview answers?
They don't.

Quote:
Give me an example of a time when you set a goal and were able to meet or achieve it.

I can make up a story about how I slowly changed from a 300 pound person to a marathon runner. I can use it to make myself seem disciplined, long-sighted, and determined.
That's a terrible answer to the question because it's not job related.

Quote:
Also, if my story is boring, I'll never get hired.
You're not there to entertain them. You're there to impress them. Big difference. Learn it.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:01 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
I just graduated. I don't have any interesting stories.
Doesn't have to be interesting. I had that question at an interview and I just talked about how I had a lot of classes and projects and had to prioritize. I got the jobs too. The key to that question is to see how you handle stress and prioritize ect.

Say you really did lose 90lbs. How does that make you a better worker?

Old 02-06-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Doesn't have to be interesting. I had that question at an interview and I just talked about how I had a lot of classes and projects and had to prioritize. I got the jobs too. The key to that question is to see how you handle stress and prioritize ect.

Say you really did lose 90lbs. How does that make you a better worker?
Cheaper health insurance.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:03 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
You can just find a simple act, and frame it or spin it to be nice-sounding.

People do that all the time when they talk to people, like exaggerating about their crazy camping trip, where they were at the edge of survival or something.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:04 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Cheaper health insurance.
Quick and witty response. I'm sure interviewers like that.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
In interviews last week, we had some dumb looks and nonsense answers, and some honest people with nothing to say. The job does require experience at problem solving, and creative, cost effective solutions. So when we ask for an example and there is none given, the person is either way too nervous to think or not qualified for the position.

Ask someone you know to give you sample interview questions, or find them on a website and practice. Generally people will have answers if they think about it, in terms of the job requirements ahead of time. You cannot just walk in unprepared and expect to be the best interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search