Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
This has nothing to do with unproven theories. The dept is badly ran and many others will tell you the same. I give solutions to small problems and they go ignored and then they become big problems and people around me are scratching their heads. I am not saying I have all the answers , I am saying to put out the small fire before it becomes an enraging inferno.
Honestly, this would happen even if they knew you have an MBA.

A natural leader personality will shine in any position.

People who aren't natural leaders need to learn soft skills to sway various types of personalities.

This is where work experience is important. It's all about finding what each person values and appealing to them accordingly.

Last edited by Hopes; 02-12-2011 at 10:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 10:05 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBunny View Post
Instead of asking for a promotion, why don't use ask for more responsiblities and get along with your superiors. If the top management like you and they know you can do the job (by taking more responsibilities), it is more likely for you to get a promotion. Also, when you and your managers become "friends", you can also mention that you are currently on an MBA program. I do believe connections and experience will help you advance in a company. Ofcourse an MBA is an added bonus.
Just my 2 cents.
I completely agree with this. Ask for more responsibilities first and see what happens. You could also try asking around the office during any free time you have and see if anyone else has any work that you can assist with during your free time. However, you might want to ask your manager before doing this and let them know that you're helping so and so out with this project so that individual doesn't try to take all the credit.

As far as the OP's concerns with management not doing what's best for the company, I've seen that a few times. However, there are reasons why people in management have reached those positions. Some of them actually have a method to their madness that no one sees right away. Others got there through hard work. Some are there b/c they know how to schmooze with the higher ups and talk their way up the corporate ladder. They may not be the most effective, but they got their promotions their own way.

OP, there are some managers--as Hopes mentioned--who will ignore people even if they were the unquestionable global expert. I worked for a company which preferred to stick to their guns instead of listening to the opinions of others (even when it could save them time and money). It's stressful, but you can either continue to prove your worth and stay with the company or find a new company which may or may not listen to you.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:18 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,438 times
As far as the MBA thing, I've only experienced something similar to your situation once. I was interviewed for a job and I left off my current progress in my Masters and kept my Bachelors (which I had received a few years ago) on the resume. I did that b/c I live in a small town and most people would look at me like this when they saw my resume (no exaggeration, especially not on the eyes).

I went in for the interview and they told me I was hired and even said, "We're paying you more b/c you have a degree." Out of excitement, I blurted out, "Really?! Just to let you know I'm currently working on a Masters degree. I'm still in the middle of it." Now, most people would consider this to be stupid, and it probably was stupid. Luckily, they saw it as a positive and they understood that most people in this region were only hiring people who did not have a degree. They didn't see it as lying b/c most people only put their relevant experience on their resume and not their entire work experience (most resumes should stay between 1-3 pages). However, my experience may be different from yours since I live in a small town and work at a station.

I like Bunny's idea of networking with the managers and becoming closer to them before you tell them about your MBA (to be on the safe side) and in the meantime just taking on more responsibilities to prove you can handle anything they throw at you. Although, you can also start looking at other job openings to see if you can find a better job offer with your MBA while you're still at work with your current company.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:35 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
Maybe your field is different, but in my experience, once I've had the job, no one has cared one whit about my education. They definitely care in the interviewing process, but not once I got the job. And any promotions I earned were solely because I added value to the company.

I know some companies care more about education than others, but right now you're in a position where your education didn't matter, and if your managers have progressed without an MBA, then maybe your MBA is a non-issue at this time? Maybe you can put in the time, and get the experience, and move up slowly, like everyone else seems to have done?

Old 02-13-2011, 06:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Not disclosing education on a resume is in my opinion, not a bad thing. In my opinioin, understating is acceptable, overstating is not.

I'd wait until you actually GET that MBA in your hand and then have a heart to heart with your managers manager. Let them know that you've got the education you do, and ask them to mentor you, as you'd like to work towards advancing your career with that company.

DO NOT badmouth your supervisor/manager, or you'll quickly find yourself going no where.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:36 AM

231 posts, read 813,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Maybe your field is different, but in my experience, once I've had the job, no one has cared one whit about my education. They definitely care in the interviewing process, but not once I got the job. And any promotions I earned were solely because I added value to the company.

I know some companies care more about education than others, but right now you're in a position where your education didn't matter, and if your managers have progressed without an MBA, then maybe your MBA is a non-issue at this time? Maybe you can put in the time, and get the experience, and move up slowly, like everyone else seems to have done?
I think you misunderstood my op. I deflated my resume to get the position, that means I left off my education both bachelors and soon to be MBA. The position I work is very very very entry level. I would not have been able to obtain this position without deflating my resume. So do I work my way up without ever disclosing my education? Why did I even go to school then LOL.

I have spoken to people i.e recruiters and I have been told that I can expect to double my salary once I get a little bit of experience.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not disclosing education on a resume is in my opinion, not a bad thing. In my opinioin, understating is acceptable, overstating is not.

I'd wait until you actually GET that MBA in your hand and then have a heart to heart with your managers manager. Let them know that you've got the education you do, and ask them to mentor you, as you'd like to work towards advancing your career with that company.

DO NOT badmouth your supervisor/manager, or you'll quickly find yourself going no where.
Thanks for the advice

Old 02-13-2011, 12:59 PM

130 posts, read 163,212 times
Default my two cents

Well, you can't backtrack now. You can casually mention that you've taken courses in X, Y, and Z and hope that they will listen to you if they ever need expertise. If I were you, I would just listen to openings and network with individuals in other similar companies and slowly make a transition to another job after you've put significant time into this current job. In this economy, its not about what degree you have, its also about putting in the years to prove yourself in the workplace. You cannot expect people to promote you based on your degree unless they hired you solely because you got that degree. Just act as humble as you can and learn as much that you can in your current position. The worst way to act is to act as if you're smarter or entitled because then your supervisor will probably think you want his/her job. And, that will lead to being canned from the job.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:41 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
Quote:
I think you misunderstood my op. I deflated my resume to get the position, that means I left off my education both bachelors and soon to be MBA. The position I work is very very very entry level. I would not have been able to obtain this position without deflating my resume. So do I work my way up without ever disclosing my education? Why did I even go to school then LOL.
I understood your original post - it was clearly written, so no problem there! I just commented on one aspect of it, rather than giving you a direct response. That happens sometimes on forums... the conversation drifts. But that can still lead to relevant comments!

Quote:
I have spoken to people i.e recruiters and I have been told that I can expect to double my salary once I get a little bit of experience.
Well then you're in the right place!

As others have suggested, I would just casually mention that you've been taking relevant classes. You haven't actually earned the MBA yet, you're working on it, and mentioning that you're in school shouldn't be too hard. When you're closer to graduation, then tell them that's it's for an MBA.

But even then I would suggest you do it casually. If you give your managers the impression that you expect your new MBA to immediately lead to a better job, they may find a way to phase you out, if they assume you're on your way out anyway.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I understood your original post - it was clearly written, so no problem there! I just commented on one aspect of it, rather than giving you a direct response. That happens sometimes on forums... the conversation drifts. But that can still lead to relevant comments!

Well then you're in the right place!

As others have suggested, I would just casually mention that you've been taking relevant classes. You haven't actually earned the MBA yet, you're working on it, and mentioning that you're in school shouldn't be too hard. When you're closer to graduation, then tell them that's it's for an MBA.

But even then I would suggest you do it casually. If you give your managers the impression that you expect your new MBA to immediately lead to a better job, they may find a way to phase you out, if they assume you're on your way out anyway.
thanks for the advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search