Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:45 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I rushed through the interview, but did decline the job since it was offered to me. However, my husband had a doctors appointment at 12:30 that I had to take him to because he wouldn't be able to drive home from the appointment.

I think you did the right thing. You stuck around like a professional, but you were also firm when it came time to leave. These people are probably too dumb or unprofessional to notice, but you sent a message that your time is important, even if they don't think so.

It's an awful feeling, though, to walk in and know within five minutes, "Nope, no way." It's like being set up on a blind date, and when the person walks in you hear that little game-show melody, the one with the trombones that signals the contestant lost, "Mrah-mrah-mrah MRAAAAAAAH."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 09:57 AM

63 posts, read 287,315 times
I am wondering where you live too! I would love it if there was a great need for employees in my area. Do you mind if I ask how long you have been home? I ask because I have been home 5 years and am looking now, too. What types of jobs are you trying to get into?

Good for you, by the way, declining. It would not have been a pleasant work experience from the sounds of it.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
I am in Williston, ND. I'll put some links at the end of my post about the area and where you can look for jobs, but just an FYI they don't tend to take out of state applicants very seriously around here since finding a place to live is hard. (Literally, waiting lists for apartments are over a year long and even buying a house takes months due to a shortage of appraisers and inspectors.)

Tampa - I am just looking for easy entry level jobs, mostly in an office setting. I don't want anything with a lot of responsibility since I still want to be accessible for school activities and things like that. I've been home on and off over the last few years, but when I've worked it's always been jobs with low levels of responsibility.

Here's some articles/videos about Williston:

News Headlines (http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?play=1&video=1689063296 - broken link)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/us/21ndakota.html

Flock To N.D. Oil Town Leads To Housing Crisis : NPR

If you're looking for a job check out:

Williston Herald - Online Edition
The Shopper Inc., - Classifieds: Help Wanted, Real Estate & More - Williston, North Dakota. We're not your average newspaper!
Job Service North Dakota

Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Where do you live? What town?
Yeah, that's what I'd like to know!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 AM

63 posts, read 287,315 times
I have often thought about finding a job for the school year and then quitting for summer.

Thanks, Lisa, and good luck to you!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I think you did the right thing. You stuck around like a professional, but you were also firm when it came time to leave. These people are probably too dumb or unprofessional to notice, but you sent a message that your time is important, even if they don't think so.

It's an awful feeling, though, to walk in and know within five minutes, "Nope, no way." It's like being set up on a blind date, and when the person walks in you hear that little game-show melody, the one with the trombones that signals the contestant lost, "Mrah-mrah-mrah MRAAAAAAAH."
Lol I've never thought of it quite like that, but I think the next time this happens I will have that sound playing through my head.

I'm not an uptight person, I've always gotten along with co-workers and even have friends that were former co-workers. But I always think that while you're on the clock you need to be professional.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 AM

Here's another interesting article - the Discovery Channel is thinking of doing a show about people who are relocating to North Dakota because of the economy.

Williston Herald - Online Edition (http://www.willistonherald.com/articles/2011/02/15/news/doc4d57301847bdc903549048.txt - broken link)

Old 02-15-2011, 10:43 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I live in an area that's not quite like the rest of the country - there's an economic boom here right now. I decided to just put out my resume a little bit, see if I got any responses. I was working for awhile but quit my job to stay at home with my kids. However, they're in school and I'm bored. I am really just looking for something flexible to do until the summer starts. (Due to the economic boom here daycare is insanely expensive and difficult to find, figured I'd just stay home in the summer.)

Anyway, I've already been called for a few interviews and had one yesterday. It was scheduled for 11:30AM. I walked into the place and the receptionist was on the phone so I stood back and waited until she was finished. Once done she asked me how she could help me, I told her I was there for an interview. I was about 5 minutes early and she told me to take a seat. As I was walking to my seat I heard the receptionist actually start to whisper about my clothes. When I sat down I couldn't hear her anymore, but she had a sheet of paper covering her face while she was talking to another girl working the front desk. The company was clearly a more casual company (they were wearing jeans and sweatshirts) and she was talking about how I didn't have to dress so nice for something like a job interview (I was in slacks, a nice sweater, and dress shoes). I personally would NEVER go into an interview dressed in jeans.

My interview didn't actually happen until 11:50, at which point I was trying to figure out how to politely let them know I was no longer interested in the position.

If the job economy here was different, I would have probably waited without complaint. But as it stands right now I know that if I wanted to I could have a job within 2-3 days and I've already been called for several interviews. I just couldn't figure out a polite way (since I don't like to burn bridges) to let them know that I didn't really want to work for their company.

What would you have said in that situation?
In your position, I would have left to prove a point. Why would you want to work in a place where people are already whispering about you? It's not your fault you want to be taken seriously and have a great first impression. Sheesh.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Oh this takes me way back on an interview....

These 2 (ugly) men were explaining the job description to me, and one kept repeating "that you have to put the time in", I am assuming overtime, to get the change orders (construction) in a almost near perfect whatever....ugh, after about ten minutes of this interview one of the men asked: Is this something you would be interested in?, I looked at the both of them and said NO, this doesn't sound like anything I would like to do, I stood up, thanked them and left......they both looked dumbfounded, and I didn't care..............

Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Have you thought about applying for classified work in the school system there? Might be a good way to get summers/holiday breaks off with your children without having to quit a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search