Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:51 AM

860 posts, read 2,204,040 times

Advertisements

Some of the major employers around here are Google and Apple. Google had recently announced 6000 new positions for which Google recieved 75,000 applications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:43 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I live in North Dakota, lowest unemployment rate in the US. There are a ton of jobs in the western half of the state, there's just nowhere to live. If you don't mind physical labor type work get an engineering degree in oil exploration. You can easily make over $100k a year with a degree like that.

When you say there is no where to live, what do you mean? No apartments, no houses no ground to build houses on, too crowded?

Old 02-22-2011, 10:37 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
live in CA.

Mostly low level service jobs hiring. However, as always, there is more people applying than actual positions.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
Some of the major employers around here are Google and Apple. Google had recently announced 6000 new positions for which Google recieved 75,000 applications.
yea and what they didn't tell you was that was 75,000 within the FIRST WEEK of that announcement. I'm sure it will be up to the 600k+ range by the time they finish hiring.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
When you say there is no where to live, what do you mean? No apartments, no houses no ground to build houses on, too crowded?
No housing. In a "normal" economy, most people don't want to live anywhere near North Dakota. Now that it's getting a reputation as an employment mecca of sorts, people all of a sudden want to move there and there's no place for these people to live.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:12 PM

935 posts, read 2,410,831 times
My region of Appalachia is hiring a few people, but it's mostly retail, fast-food, and coal mine work. If you have a high school diploma then you might have a good chance. If you have a college degree then you're in trouble. The region has a college educated population of 10% and a high school graduate population of 60%, so businesses are not as motivated to come here unless it's customer service, retail, fast food, etc. The customer service jobs are normally filled rather quickly and rarely advertised.

Now, if you want to start a business then this region might be a decent place to start. My state brags about being the easiest place to start a business b/c they have tons of information available to potential business owners and affordable labor. However, the last time my dad tried to start a business they said you HAVE to have a business degree.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:51 AM

214 posts, read 705,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
My region of Appalachia is hiring a few people, but it's mostly retail, fast-food, and coal mine work. If you have a high school diploma then you might have a good chance. If you have a college degree then you're in trouble. The region has a college educated population of 10% and a high school graduate population of 60%, so businesses are not as motivated to come here unless it's customer service, retail, fast food, etc. The customer service jobs are normally filled rather quickly and rarely advertised.

Now, if you want to start a business then this region might be a decent place to start. My state brags about being the easiest place to start a business b/c they have tons of information available to potential business owners and affordable labor. However, the last time my dad tried to start a business they said you HAVE to have a business degree.

What State is this?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:00 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I live in GA and it's on the top five WORST places to get a job and our unemployment rate has hovered at 10% or more since this mess started, so unless you have a specific desired skill, stay away from here.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:17 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I live in North Dakota, lowest unemployment rate in the US. There are a ton of jobs in the western half of the state, there's just nowhere to live. If you don't mind physical labor type work get an engineering degree in oil exploration. You can easily make over $100k a year with a degree like that.
Just to back up what this poster wrote: an article from the Wall Street Journal a couple of days ago:

North Dakota Strains to Fill Jobs - WSJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search