Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 01:18 PM

156 posts, read 407,680 times

Advertisements

I have been a stay at home mom for almost 4 years now and for the 3 years before that I was self-employed. Well, I am hoping to get a part-time job, and I am trying to update my resume. However, I have no idea what to keep on it and what to purge. I have figured out what jobs to include on it, but I don't know about other things. I worked on several research projects, taught a class, and received several awards when I was in college and graduate school (10-15 years ago), and I don't know if I should keep them on my resume or delete them. They are related to my profession, but they were a long time ago. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 02:02 PM

53 posts, read 229,183 times
Industry standard is to keep the last 10 years' experience. There are exceptions for very relevant experiences, but generally 10 years.

Get creative with how you describe you stay-at-home mom experience, but keep it professional. Employers loathe seeing stuff like "Domestic goddess."

Use terms like:
- "Invested love and time in the upbringing of my son/daughter."
- "Used spare time to further my education online."

Being a stay-at-home mom is no easy task, so don't be afraid to put that out there on your resume. Everyone that interviews you most likely will have children themselves and understands the issues you have faced/are facing.

Godspeed with your future career!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
What is the difference between a "stay at home mom" and a "housewife"?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:03 PM

76 posts, read 257,925 times
"Stay at home mom" leads you to believe that you took the primary responsibility of raising the children and "housewife" comes off like you didn't need to work therefore you didn't.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:15 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Hi OP, what type of part time job are your looking for? If we know that we can give better advice. Is it in the field of education or something very different? I think you should keep as much as your past jobs on there. It shows that you have a strong background in that field.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,916 times
Put all your current work experience. Any work will do. Also update your address and references and their contact numbers. Also update your contact numbers.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:30 PM

156 posts, read 407,680 times
I am a pediatric speech-language pathologist, which is (fortunately) a very mother-friendly career.

Thanks for all the input!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Don't try to overstate the time you spent at home. It can look like you are defensive. Just put for those dates something short and simple like "Caring for family." Any volunteer work or educational pursuits during that time could be mentioned, but otherwise just stick to the experience and skills acquired during previous work/self employment. Four years is not too long but you will be competing with people having much more recent experience, so you have to really look good on the resume to get an interview.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:26 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibound1 View Post
"Stay at home mom" leads you to believe that you took the primary responsibility of raising the children and "housewife" comes off like you didn't need to work therefore you didn't.
"housewife" does not necessarily mean that the person had children and that the person could have been at home watching soap operas and eating bon bons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search