Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:12 AM

4 posts, read 16,930 times

Advertisements

So, I recently had an interview for a position and during the interview the interviewer asked if it was okay for him to pass along my resume if he knew of a position that he thought I'd be well suited for.

I ended up getting a call from another department a couple days later asking to me if I'd like to come in and interview for a different position. That interview was with one of the assistant directors. At the end of the interview he told me he wanted me to interview with the director. He gave me a call later that day to schedule the interview.

I had that interview yesterday. The assistant director sat in on the interview as well. At the end of the interview the director said that they are looking to make a decision shortly however they want their applicants to meet with the executive director who is out of town until next Friday and that they probably couldn't get me in to see her the day she gets back because her schedule is most likely already full but they will call me to set up a meeting with her.

I got a call later from the assistant director asking me to officially apply for the position online through their website so they could move forward with my application.

Obviously I would love this job and was feeling hopeful about my chances to receive a job offer after this next interview, but then of course I have been over analyzing things and reading posts on here about people who have been told they are going to be called to set up a subsequent interview but then received a rejection letter. I am not putting all of my chickens in one basket and I am continuing my job search, while trying not to get my hopes up. I was just wanting to get some perspective from everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 03:47 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Relax and take a breath.
Sounds like they're trying to get their ducks in a row.

Remember when in the interview to think before you talk; speak slowly; say you don't know if you don't know.

Good luck, sounds very promising!

Old 03-17-2011, 05:06 PM

So I was wondering if anyone had any insight on what is going on now. Here's what happened. After applying on the website, I received an automated e-mail basically saying sorry but you are not being considered for this position. That was yesterday. Today I received a call saying okay we are ready to set up your third interview with the VP of the dept and they scheduled it for later this week. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Also should I let them know that I got that rejection letter?

Old 03-17-2011, 05:44 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Strongly advise you say nothing about the auto-response. You have nothing to gain and everything to lose at this point if you convey confusion or (possibly perceived) criticism toward the company or their processes. If you are asked about the on-line application, just pretty much stay mum. Wishing you the best of luck with your interviews.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Lo View Post
So I was wondering if anyone had any insight on what is going on now. Here's what happened. After applying on the website, I received an automated e-mail basically saying sorry but you are not being considered for this position. That was yesterday. Today I received a call saying okay we are ready to set up your third interview with the VP of the dept and they scheduled it for later this week. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Also should I let them know that I got that rejection letter?
Don't say anything; the automated e-mail could have been a mistake on the part of a clerical worker. Probably was, actually; I don't think they'd set up a third interview if they weren't interested.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:02 PM

190 posts, read 617,826 times
I would also suggest you go along with your discussions with people. I had an interview and the day after the interview they pulled the position from their website. I thought maybe I had lost the job but, instead they offered me the position the following week. So, relax and be prepared to continue impressing their people.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Don't say anything; the automated e-mail could have been a mistake on the part of a clerical worker. Probably was, actually; I don't think they'd set up a third interview if they weren't interested.
I agree, it was a mistake. Say nothing about that.

Years ago I got a turn down letter from the HR dept of a company on my 2nd at the new job.

Clearly a mistake.

I was going to say something and a friend said say nothing, you will only embarrass someone and come off looking bad.

Good advice.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:08 PM

418 posts, read 906,227 times
Curious as to what has happened to the original poster. I thought I had job offer pending after talking salary and the compnay calling references only to get a generic reject letter. Very dejecting.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 PM

So I ended up going into my interview without saying anything about the e-mail, which I think was the right decision. I had an interview with the assistant director and the executive director, where I was informed that this was the last of interviews I had to go through. Since then they have been verifying past employment (and I assume some background checking) and they also called me to do a drug test which I took today, so here's hoping.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:07 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Lo View Post
So I ended up going into my interview without saying anything about the e-mail, which I think was the right decision. I had an interview with the assistant director and the executive director, where I was informed that this was the last of interviews I had to go through. Since then they have been verifying past employment (and I assume some background checking) and they also called me to do a drug test which I took today, so here's hoping.
Sounds like -- if you haven't been deceptive on your resume, are not a felon, and didn't eat poppy seeds over the past week -- there's an offer comin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search